Remember

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:06 am

Its now summer and some of you will be stripping down the layers of clothing you wear on the yak . In winter and autum im usually wearing long paddle pants and a long sleeved paddle jacket .
Now its summer and im starting to wear boardies and a nice new short sleeved light weight paddle top out .
Well i got caught out didnt i , at 5am its dark and cold , no need for any sun protection lotion .... by 10am the cloud cover has burnt off and my legs and arms are turning a red lobster shade !!! :o Im already quite tanned from working outside and i still got burnt badly .
Today my legs are burning hot and im plastering after burn gel on every hour .
SO DONT FORGET YOUR SUNSCREEN LADS !!!!

G1
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:09 am

been there had that and it sucks... also remember not to put sunscreen on your forehead because you sweat ad it runs into your eyes and hurts like :swear: ... thats why I wear a hat to protect that area :y:

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:39 am

Yip I have one of the new quick dry tops from sharkskin and a buff I wear under my hat and I was also wearing shorts as it was hot and water temp of 19 degress. Boy did I get sunburnt legs!!!!!
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:04 pm

And wearing crocs makes your feet look like they got scurvy.
I only did it once.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Billy

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:06 pm

....and wear a life-jacket :D

Rob
Kayak Model: Aqua 2/Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU6741

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Good luck with the burn gel...

I spent two weeks of one Christmas break, hobbling along because I burnt the skin on my shin bones so much that it blistered (huge!) and fell off.

No fun, freckles on the shin now... nothing like a gentle irradiation to kick start skin cancer. :doh:

snap fisha
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:29 pm

I agree kk after the rob fort meetup my face was sore for a couple of days from sun burn know carry and use sun block every couple of hours.
snap fish 101 paddles a viking 400

yakman
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:32 pm

In all seriousness this is a very important subject. My wife is a nurse at a skin cancer clinic and comes home with some horror stories. We all think it won't happen to us but it does, all the time. The stats on skin cancer in NZ make for very scary reading indeed.

It can also be an extremely aggressive cancer so early intervention is crucial. If in any doubt at all about a spot/mole etc, get it checked.
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:47 pm

I still go fully clothed.

Even in summer I wear wet suit bottoms and as they are black I wear light over trouser with neoprene booties- the top half I wear long sleeved ploy with a tee shirt over and a light weight breathable wind proof top, gloves, sun glasses, sunscreen and to cap it all off a wide brimmed hat with a neck cover - there's not usually any shortage of water to splash over yourself if you get too hot. I more concerned about getting sun burnt or getting hypothermia if the weather turns to shite than getting a little hot.
If it's a really hot day I mite not wear the wind proof jacket, but it will be on the Kayak

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:28 pm

Yea I'm with Nakiman, I'm still covered head to toe, I've been burnt too many times now on the kayak, from the top down it's a cap on the head, buff over the face and neck, long sleeved rash or Sharkskin top, then my paddle pants that I simply wear year round - just add Sharkskin long johns in the winter, then again year round booties on my feet :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:38 pm

yakman wrote:In all seriousness this is a very important subject. My wife is a nurse at a skin cancer clinic and comes home with some horror stories. We all think it won't happen to us but it does, all the time. The stats on skin cancer in NZ make for very scary reading indeed.

It can also be an extremely aggressive cancer so early intervention is crucial. If in any doubt at all about a spot/mole etc, get it checked.

I don't know all the technical jargon for it, however there are 2 types of UV. One effects the top layer of skin and one is more prone to effect the lower layer of skin. It is the one that effects the lower layer that causes the damage. My point is that you may be using a sun lotion that has a Uv protector that is stopping the the top layer of skin from burning but you could still be causing damage to the layer that really matters - I'm sure someone on here will know the technical terms and can make my mess clearer :$

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Yep... two years ago I got checked over, ended up getting one skin cancer cut off my nose, two cut off my back, and one cut off my leg... didn’t bother going for check-up last year, but went last week, and found another needs cutting of my forearm, so will be having more needles and stitches... the stupid part of this is that had I been last year the cancer would of been treatable with a cream... but too late for that as I left it too long... The check-ups are free, so no excuse at all. And it took all of two minutes.... Google this bloke Dr Sharad P Paul... or have gawk at this link http://www.skinsurgeryclinic.co.nz/free ... cer-checks A :^)

Bigred
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9847

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:12 pm

awondering wrote:Yep... two years ago I got checked over, ended up getting one skin cancer cut off my nose, two cut off my back, and one cut off my leg... didn’t bother going for check-up last year, but went last week, and found another needs cutting of my forearm, so will be having more needles and stitches... the stupid part of this is that had I been last year the cancer would of been treatable with a cream... but too late for that as I left it too long... The check-ups are free, so no excuse at all. And it took all of two minutes.... Google this bloke Dr Sharad P Paul... or have gawk at this link http://www.skinsurgeryclinic.co.nz/free ... cer-checks A :^)
Hi Kev, did the spots you had removed look dodgy or did it come as a surprise?

Cheers
Cliff
ZMW9847 Viking Profish 400

DJ
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Bigred, if anything even remotely worries you , get it checked. Im a bit like Kev, Had a small spot between my eyes that was annoying me , you know the type , you think its a pimple but it doesnt get any bigger just annoys. Anyway , asked the doc, They took a sample, i got the letter , first surgery they took it out , and a sample of surrounding tissue, next surgery
they took more and they sewed up a large area down towards my right eye, i waited 2 weeks for the test results to come back to say they didnt have to take my eye out. Mate that was a very long 2 weeks. SO ANY DOUBT CHECK IT OUT!!!! and KK ,, bugger mate , hope its the last for the season.. ;)

awondering

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Bigred wrote:
awondering wrote:Yep... two years ago I got checked over, ended up getting one skin cancer cut off my nose, two cut off my back, and one cut off my leg... didn’t bother going for check-up last year, but went last week, and found another needs cutting of my forearm, so will be having more needles and stitches... the stupid part of this is that had I been last year the cancer would of been treatable with a cream... but too late for that as I left it too long... The check-ups are free, so no excuse at all. And it took all of two minutes.... Google this bloke Dr Sharad P Paul... or have gawk at this link http://www.skinsurgeryclinic.co.nz/free ... cer-checks A :^)
Hi Kev, did the spots you had removed look dodgy or did it come as a surprise?

Cheers
Cliff
Hey Cliff, the first lot didnt appear dodgy at all, this latest one, I thought was from a scratch from a phoenix palm that seemed to clear up and then kept coming back,,, I will put up a before and after shot when its all done.... BUT like DJ said get it checked, dont cost nothing at the place, it will for the surgery though... sooner is better like I said might only need a cream ...later will result in at least surgery....

awondering

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:44 pm

A line off the skin cancer web site
•Sunscreen should be your last line of defence after a hat, glasses, clothing and dense shade

Bigred

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Nothing i'm concerned about but was wondering if you went because you were worried about something or it was just a precautionary visit. I'm a 70's child and remember getting roasted a few times as a youngster. I'm very cautious now, with my own skin and that of my children.

Cheers
Cliff

Bigred

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:45 pm

awondering wrote:A line off the skin cancer web site
•Sunscreen should be your last line of defence after a hat, glasses, clothing and dense shade
Do railblazer do a star mount beach umbrella for the kayak? :?:

Billy

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Are the surgery/treatments also done at Dr Sharad's clinic?

awondering

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:36 am

Billy wrote:
Are the surgery/treatments also done at Dr Sharad's clinic?
Yes they are...

• Information