View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Best reel for kayak fishing 

Post Re: Best reel for kayak fishing
The Okuma Salina 40 has Multi-disc, Japanese-oiled felt drag washers so mayb he was referring to okuma spinning reels?
The guys seems to have maintained a few reels in his time so i'll do what he says. If it causes problems with the reel i'll complain to okuma that i was just doing what your website said and ask for it to be fixed for free :)

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:39 pm

I had my penn spin reel serviced by someone, who either purposly or accedentally got oil on my fibre drag washers. I could never get it out, and had to end up buying new washers (and got a new spool). The drag just wouldn't slow anything even when tightened full

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:19 pm

I've serviced a lot of reels over the years (first started more than 20 years ago when managing the service depatment at Wilkinsons Sports in Whangarei) and the debate on dry vs oiled/greased drags was old then.

The answer is that there's no simple answer! Basically, unless you can get expert advice, stick with what the reels manufacturer put in the reel to begin with.

As a rule of thumb, I've found felt washers can be oiled or greased. I prefer grease because it lasts longer and doesn't wash out in our harsh kayaking environment. The older Daiwa SL series freespool reels had one of the most awesome oiled felt drags.

Other textured drags can often be greased, but not oiled. You have to use a grease designed for drags such as Shimano's TBM, TiCA's special drag grease (almost impossible to find), or the Teflon based grease brought in by Geof Murray in Auckland. This is the one I use on my Daiwa Saltist, Penn HT100, ABU carbon matrix, and TiCA drags with great success.

Some drags, especially lever drags and many of those using smooth washers, should be left dry. With these drags there's often too much loss of maximum drag settings, and sometimes the fibre and metal washers can stick together, not allowing the drag to back off quickly enough when highly loaded (making a swim or a busted line possible).

One point worth noting, once dry washers have been contaminated with oil or grease (intentionally or not) it's almost impossible to get them clean enough again to return them to their original performance level. Usually the only answer is to total replacement of the fibre washers and an agressive degrease of the metal washers.

ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish 440 Evolution IV, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:57 pm
Profile WWW

uncoping88 wrote:
I have only been kayak fishing for about 3-4 months and have stuffed two or reels kayak fishing so just wondering what reels do you guys use or what would you recommend? I have heard that alveys are perfect for them but have slow 1:1 ratio so would they be able to tackle bigger fish if hooked?

For me the key to getting good reel survival on kayaks has been to give them a comprehensive service/lube before they go anywhere near the water. It doesn't matter if they're top quality or not, most are not supplied with enough corrosion protection "out of the box" and need appropriate treatment for what we Kiwi's do with them.

Re the "slow" 1:1 ratio of the Alveys, remember the spool diameter is much larger than most other reel types, making the actual line retrieval rate more respectable. The 45 series admittedly are still a little slow but perfectly adequate for bait fishing down to 30m. The 65 (6.5 inch) series have a very useful recovery rate and I can get dropper rigs and jigs back to the yak as quick as some of my mates on reels with 5:1 ratios.

ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish 440 Evolution IV, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:08 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah i've tried servicing a few off my own reel they're all easy enough to take apart but some are alot harder to put back than others :lol: and cost too much pay to get them serviced everytime they get dunked or drenched. Prob just go with most your guys advice and service them my self but i'll try look for easy to pull apart/putback together reels :lol:

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:08 pm

I've got The Okuma Sa40 a year or so old and they are replacing alot of the components as they go with better stuff,probably using us as a testing ground to develop them.
If they totally Kaput and get FUBAR they replace em as a mate of mine has got two of same model off em then got an upgrade , with cash difference :envy:
Yeah the metal washer in mine between the felt ones has corroded & needed attn as has bail arm roller bearing and numerous other small niggles that they sent it away & replaced with upgraded components-heres hopin it continues-

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:25 pm

I gota put my two cents in here as i love alveys! I use them for surf casting and on the yak, two of my alveys (1 of which iv had for over 16 years) have never been seviced though i have striped them for a full clean once. still work like new. best fish to date on alvey is a 21kg kingfish. I find them trouble free and once you get used to them tangle free also. their drag system is smooth as butter which is important when targeting the larger fish. If you like to master a new skill and buy a reel that will still work like new when your 90 then the alvey is the reel for you.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:08 am