View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Best reel for kayak fishing 

Post Best reel for kayak fishing
I have only been kayak fishing for about 3-4 months and have stuffed two or reels kayak fishing so just wondering what reels do you guys use or what would you recommend? I have heard that alveys are perfect for them but have slow 1:1 ratio so would they be able to tackle bigger fish if hooked?

Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:22 pm

Post Re: Best reel for kayak fishing
I can usually get a couple of years out of my reels but they do need regular maintenance especially after a dunking. After each use wash/wipe with warm water and loosen drag. I learnt to service mine the hard way ie: take it apart and hopefully get it back together again ;( clean out any sand etc and old grease with kerosine,. Apply reel grease ( lanocote mixed with moreys oil stabiliser works a treat and has corrosion inhibitors ).
I have a daiwa regal 3500 which is still going after a couple of years and an abu cardinal 704lx about 6 months old.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:34 pm

IMO, a 1:1 ratio would help on the bigger fish, but cause huge frustrations the rest of the time...

I'm currently using a Shimano Stradic 4000 spin and cheaper Tica Pisces PC 200 bait cast.

The shimano has a WaterProof drag system and the tica has an 'easy to pull apart' system for cleaning.

I was using a cheap jarvis walker bait runner for a while, as I started my yak fishing (at the start of the year), but the only lasted a month or 2 (was on to my 3rd, however replaced under warantee).

What would I recommend? Learn to clean and service your own reels.

That reminds me, I need to go do mine shortly...

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Last edited by sk8e8 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:43 pm

I agree, it's probably not so much the reels you are using, but looking after them that's key.
Whatever you get jump on good old google and find out how to service it.
All my reels get Cleaned after every outing and compleetly stripped and rebuilt regulary, and I've (touch wood) not ruined one yet. :)
there are heaps of great reels and manufactures out there so you need to realy think about what do you want it for, do you want a spin or overhead? I would suggest that spins are generally a bit more versitile on a yak, but overheads definalty have thier place.
If spin I have several abu reels that all have been realy good, if overhead many people use reels such as the tld series and everyone has good things to say about them, but like I said there are many others which are good.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:34 pm
Profile WWW

I only started kayak fishing this year but my alvery 45bc has been tested well and came through with flying colours. Landed some good sized kahawai, snapper and even a stingray on it but the 12lb kingy was it's biggest test so far. The drag was no match for the kingy and would do 6 very fast 30-50m bursts so was a bit of work reeling in but i was able to land it. The reel has had a few dunkings but a quick wash down with hose was all was needed if that? It's not a good reel for softbaiting though so i bought an Okuma Salina 40 because it had watertight drag seal, corrosion resistant stainless steel ball bearings, Corrosion resistant high density gearing and seemed easy to maintain. Do date all i do is oil handle, bail arm. Every 4 trips grease gears and every 6 months oil drag washers.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:04 am

cuzo wrote:
... and every 6 months oil drag washers.

Really? :^) Is that advised?

PB's: Snapper 26.2lb :whew: ; Kawhai 3lb :?: ; Kingfish 25lb 8) ; Trevally 9.5lb :rock: ; John Dory 2lb? :lol: ; Gurnard 35cm :P

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:10 am

N2Y wrote:
cuzo wrote:

Really? Is that advised?

I would suggest cleaning, but would keep oil away from them personally.
making them slippery would defeat the purpose of them... ;)

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:34 am
Profile WWW

Oiling washers is prob not a good thing (had one of my reels screwed up due to someone doing that), but putting drag grease onto the carbon fibre washers can help (cals or shimano drag grease is good).

Just on the carbon fibre washers, anyone know where we can get those in NZ? Or even just some sheets of the fibre to cut our own washers? I have one reel that has the plastic washers instead of the fibre ones, and another reel with only half fibre and half plastic - and I want to change them over to 100% fibre

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:01 pm

N2Y wrote:
cuzo wrote:

Really? :^) Is that advised?

On Okuma Australia website there's a video clip "Fishing Reel Maintenance: How To Maintain Your Spinning Reel". On their he says drag can dry up every 6-12 months so put 3 drops of sewing machine oil in main housing of drag. I'm no expert with the insides of reels so if he doesn't mean oil drag washers then my bad.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Yip I think from that you're onto it according to that vid...and you'd be a brave man to argue with that guy :lol:

I had read previously to always keep oil well away (different room even) from drag washers...who knows |(

PB's: Snapper 26.2lb :whew: ; Kawhai 3lb :?: ; Kingfish 25lb 8) ; Trevally 9.5lb :rock: ; John Dory 2lb? :lol: ; Gurnard 35cm :P

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:00 am