covid 19 sports

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:41 pm

well thank you, but all I did was let them know, how we as a group, were disgruntled .

now that we can be gruntled again, I'm looking forward to some enthusiastic gruntling

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Mahoy
Kayak Make: Ruahini
Kayak Model: Sea Hawk

Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:18 pm

No Marc, you deserve a “thank you” you made the effort.
Cheers
Mark

Marc N

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:14 am

Well gosh, shucks and all :)

And because I'm a pedant, I note that the below passage, from Stuff.co.nz, still forbids motors, but we can see Kayaks and presumably, dinghies, skiffs, and waka are allowed (subject to 2m distancing of multiple paddlers in their bubble).

"Under level 3, rules around exercise, sport and recreation relax ever so slightly. Contact and non-contact sports are not permitted outside of your bubble and all motorised water sports are still not allowed. But you’re allowed to drive within your region to visit a park or beach for exercise.""
Yu Co

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:09 am

:beer: :y:
Mahoy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:18 pm
No Marc, you deserve a “thank you” you made the effort.
Cheers
Mark
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:13 pm

However Jonty Mills of Water Safety thinks you can't fish from a kayak because you aren't allow to go boating.

He doesn't seem to realise that all the links say no motor boating or sailing - ONLY.

All links say you can go boating in any type except those two.

Basically Jonty doesn't seem to realise a boat is a thing that floats on the water, no matter what shape. However only if it has a motor or a sail, no go.

I sent a long reply to him pointing out that he misuses (or doesn't understand) terminology.

Marc N

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:39 pm

Good Lad :)

And fortunately Jonty Mills of Water Safety is not a policeman.
Yu Co

Mac50L

Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:02 am

I got a very quick reply from Jonty so full marks there.

Here is something he mentioned in his email to me -
"There are a number of situations like this – one we’re seeking clarity on at the moment is spearfishing from the beach (snorkelling and freediving ok but no mention of spearfishing) "

So yes, a raft (a sea going craft) of confusion. Your kayak fishing shouldn't be allowed as you actually by definition paddle canoes, open topped and sit-on when a kayak is a sit-in with the decking all covered.

They should have said, to avoid any confusion, fishing from non-motor powered or sailing vessels.
Note - "motor-powered" as all vessels are powered in some way, motor, human or wind.

However the rules are written by people who don't know what they are technically talking about.

Zeehaen
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:42 am

Common questions being asked regarding how to stay active at COVID-19 Alert Level 3.

https://sportnz.org.nz/covid-19/public- ... estions-3/

Can I fish off my kayak?

Yes, you are able to fish off your kayak but keep close to the shoreline, stay within your ability, and ensure the weather conditions are low risk.

Mac50L

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:00 pm

The main Govt Covid-19 site says absolutely no fishing from a boat because there is No Boating. There is no contact method via their site. However the website you have given, the NZ Sport one, https://sportnz.org.nz, and by the Govt does have a Contact link.

So quoting the "no boating" bit's link, I then quoted various Govt sites saying you could go boating. Basically those who write it all just don't know terminology. Boating is via anything that floats.

What they are actually trying to say is no Motor Powered Boating or Sailing.

It is stupid to say which vessels you are allowed to use when there only two types you are not allowed to use.

So these kids don't know that the majority of boats (by number of) do not have a motor. They also think rowing means competition type boats when a rowing boat is a boat propelled by oars. There are vast numbers of these lying around the coasts. Rowing sculls are a minor type of boat propelled by oars.

As for fishing from a kayak, a kayak is a closed decked vessel usually with a spray skirt and propelled with a one or two blade paddle. A sit-on-top is really a canoe (sorry, canoe!!!). Open cockpit, sit on top of it, in a bit if the sides are high enough.

Marc N

Mon May 04, 2020 7:28 pm

Just for completeness' sake, here's another email from the PM's office
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___

Hi Mark,

I’m not sure if the Minister’s office got back to you re kayak fishing at Level 3, so apologies if this is a double up, correspondence isn’t my normal role, but as my usual role for the PM is limited during lockdown I’ve been helping out the correspondence team.

Passing the following details onto you:

Fishing from a kayak is a permitted activity at Alert Level 3. However, it’s important that any activity does not bring increased pressure on emergency services including search and rescue and that people follow the below conditions as advised by Maritime NZ:
• Be responsible, apply the Boating Safety Code
• Stay within your bubble (don’t gather with others)
• Don’t share equipment
• Stay local
• Stay close to shore (we recommend within 200m from shore) or on rivers that you know well
• Go out only when conditions are calm
• Know your limits, don’t go beyond your ability or level of experience
• Go out only between sunrise and sunset.

You can find detailed information about permitted activities in Alert Level 3 at Maritime NZ or Sport NZ websites.

Kind regards
xxx xxx | ...
Office of the Prime Minister

E | xxx xxx@parliament.govt.nz

Authorised by Rt. Hon Jacinda Ardern MP, Parliament Buildings, Wellington
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___

I've anonymised the personal information of the sender.

I wouldn't think, they'll be out with tape measures for the 200m bit, if you are a normal well equipped kayaker as we all are here :)

I for one am happy to say, that we are lucky to live in a country, where you can talk directly, to the people driving the bus.
Yu Co

• Information