covid 19 sports

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:47 pm

"Allowed: swimming, surfing, kayaking, canoeing, rowing,..."
So what do you row in? A rowing boat. Always have. You could also call it a dinghy but rowing boat is the correct term. What they mean and fail to say is "No power boats or sailing boats." That covers everything they want to say but they show their ignorance by not saying it. The same as the example I gave about ECAN (Environment Canterbury) waffling on and on when two words would have covered it.

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:05 pm

Nice to know, we are listened to ::

"Dear Mark

Thank you for contacting the Prime Minister with your thoughts on the ability to undertake kayak fishing during the current Level 4 COVID-19 alert. I have taken the liberty of passing your email to the Minister of Sport’s office so that they can note your comments and perhaps get back to you with a more fulsome explanation as to why your preferred sport has been omitted from the kayaking category under Level 3.

I am sure you are aware that the Prime Minister announced on Monday 20th April that as of 11.59pm on Monday 27th April, New Zealand will move from COVID-19 Alert Level 4 to Alert Level 3. We will remain at Alert Level 3 for a further two weeks until Monday 11th May when Cabinet will revisit their decision.

At Alert Level 3, there is still an emphasis on keeping non-person to person contact, but I note that some businesses, if they can prove they can work within Covid-19 health and safety measures have the opportunity to gain permits from MBIE to operate. This move to Level 3 will allow online retailers to supply goods in a contactless manner. Takeaway establishments will also be to operate, provided they adhere to the rules and regulations set out under today’s announcement. People who can’t work from home will be able to go back to work if they can operate safely. In-home services can be delivered if it is safe to do so (like tradespeople for repairs of installations). Check www.business.govt.nz or https://covid19.govt.nz/latest-updates/ ... -28-april/ for more information.

In terms of recreation under Level 3, there is specific information on the COVID-19 website which can be found at https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/al ... recreation .

Alert Level 3 allows more economic activity like construction, manufacturing and forestry, but it does not allow more social activity. And for good reason. If we want to make sure that we are a health success story, and ensure our economy can start to operate again without the virus taking off, we need to get the next phase right. The worst thing we can do for our country is to yo-yo between levels, with all of the uncertainty that this would bring.

So whilst the Government understands the frustrations of many New Zealanders in not being able to access certain goods and services, this is to ensure that cases do not explode and overload our health system or cause more deaths. If you feel If you feel that your local independent food shop should be placed on the essential services list, please email MBIE who are collating emails from people and businesses who want extensions to that list. If you would like to follow up with MBIE you can email them on: essential@mbie.govt.nz . MBIE and the Government are reviewing this list on a daily basis.

Jo Pettitt
Office of the Prime Minister"
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Mac50L

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:50 pm

Typical, six paragraphs when only the first one applies to what is being talked about. The rest is simply waffle and a total waste of time.

Presumably it is all, the other 5 paragraphs, copy & paste. If not then there must be a total lack of thought going on and a total waste of time and money.

One wonders about the intelligence of those people.

Plus they are too stupid to know that rowing is boating and a kayak is a boat too. Are they aver going to learn terminology? No never....

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:23 am

Does anyone else find this lockdown quite interesting in some respects? I've discovered who are the true friends and who are just along for the ride. I've seen who is willing to put their own interests ahead of the collectives, as if they somehow are more important or smarter. And I've seen or heard of people who can't be at their loved one's bedside as they die, can't say goodbye with a touch or in person. there are people who have never needed welfare having to put their pride aside and seek help. While that is happening, others are bitching about not being able to go fishing.

It is suggested that tomorrow morning we stand at dawn to honour the sacrifices of the soldiers lost in various wars. I wonder, if they were still alive and cognisant today, if they and their generation would have a thing or two to tell us about true hardship.

We are an interesting mix of contradictions, ironies, paradoxes.

May we live in interesting times.

Marc N

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:46 am

kingiFiddler wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:23 am
Does anyone else find this lockdown quite interesting in some respects? I've discovered who are the true friends and who are just along for the ride. I've seen who is willing to put their own interests ahead of the collectives, as if they somehow are more important or smarter. And I've seen or heard of people who can't be at their loved one's bedside as they die, can't say goodbye with a touch or in person. there are people who have never needed welfare having to put their pride aside and seek help. While that is happening, others are bitching about not being able to go fishing.

It is suggested that tomorrow morning we stand at dawn to honour the sacrifices of the soldiers lost in various wars. I wonder, if they were still alive and cognisant today, if they and their generation would have a thing or two to tell us about true hardship.

We are an interesting mix of contradictions, ironies, paradoxes.

May we live in interesting times.
Wot you said. Even though I've been bitching about fishing.

It's because I'm confined and bored. I should note, my 87 yr old Dad is at the end of the country, I have a very painful medical condition that was going to be operated on, before the lock down, but now will be sometime, in the future and my wife is an essential worker who has to deal with the ingrates and the unworthy, every day.
I'm not complaining, just giving context.

I agree with what you've said and I already have a poppy on my letterbox.

Keep up the good thoughts, it's people like you and our relatives and friends, who went before, that make NZ worthwhile.
Yu Co

kingiFiddler

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:43 pm

:y:
All good mate. Not having a dig at anyone in particular because i'm as conflicted as the next person if not more, i just thought it worth making the observation that we can learn much about ourselves and society in these crazy times.

I believe the govt is about to release some detailed info on level 3 sports that will hopefully answer our questions. We can but hope it does anyway.

Marc N

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:51 pm

Yes I didn't think you were having a dig, I thought, good on you, for raising the Anzac aspect, keep up the good work :) :y: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Yu Co

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:56 pm

Mac50L wrote:
So what do you row in? A rowing boat. Always have. You could also call it a dinghy but rowing boat is the correct term. What they mean and fail to say is "No power boats or sailing boats." That covers everything they want to say but they show their ignorance by not saying it. The same as the example I gave about ECAN (Environment Canterbury) waffling on and on when two words would have covered it.
Actually, I think its called a skiff. Very long and narrow and used by the likes of Mahe Drysdale, Presumably the eight is off-limits but the single scull is probably still allowed.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

Mac50L

Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:19 pm

Casualtyward wrote:
Mac50L wrote:
So what do you row in? A rowing boat. ....
Actually, I think its called a skiff. Very long and narrow and used by the likes of Mahe Drysdale, Presumably the eight is off-limits but the single scull is probably still allowed.
You can row a skiff but I always rowed a rowing boat. No way was it a skiff. No way was it long and narrow. Take a clinker built rowing boat, just under half as wide as long. It is a rowing boat.

So a skiff is only one type of rowing boat.

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:03 pm

Mac50L wrote:
Casualtyward wrote:
Mac50L wrote:
So what do you row in? A rowing boat. ....
You can row a skiff but I always rowed a rowing boat. No way was it a skiff. No way was it long and narrow. Take a clinker built rowing boat, just under half as wide as long. It is a rowing boat.

I think you're just intentionally twisting things to suit your own purposes. If I told someone I was going rowing, no one would even consider the possibility I was taking the dinghy out for a spin (they might wonder if I was still feeling alright in the head though).

And just remember, kayaks are boats, but not all boats are kayaks in the same way that dolphins are whales, but not all whales are dolphins.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

tuaman2
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish Reload/Tempo 2

Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:52 pm

I just posted that on the other thread! It's a green light for kayak fishing!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

kingiFiddler

Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:59 pm

tuaman2 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:52 pm
I just posted that on the other thread! It's a green light for kayak fishing!

Fark yes! Just need the weather to cooperate and i don't even give a shite if i don't catch anything. Just dragging a line and getting over the bar (not while dragging said line) without the risk of being run down by a muppet in a boat is just too good of an opportunity to miss.
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard B

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:19 pm

Was there any final reply on the kayak fishing under level 3 scenario?

kingiFiddler

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:27 pm

Richard B wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:19 pm
Was there any final reply on the kayak fishing under level 3 scenario?
No need, the link posted above spells it out.
----------------------------------------------
"Can I fish off my kayak?

Yes, you are able to fish off your kayak but keep close to the shoreline, stay within your ability, and ensure the weather conditions are low risk."
-----------------------------------------------

tuaman2
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish Reload/Tempo 2

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:27 pm

Richard B wrote:Was there any final reply on the kayak fishing under level 3 scenario?
Read the link, says we are allowed to kayak fish!

kingiFiddler

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:30 pm

I like peace and quiet in the 'yak as much as the next person but I'll have my devilskin playlist cranked up first trip out.

Mac50L

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:54 pm

Casualtyward wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:03 pm
Mac50L wrote:

I think you're just intentionally twisting things to suit your own purposes.
Twisting things? WHAT!!! OK kid, you never did any boating 60 years ago when the only boat you could use was a rowing dinghy?

I suppose the problem is age and experience. I first went to sea well over 70 years ago. My brother and I in command of our own vessel over 65 years ago. And we turned it from a rowing dinghy into a sailing dinghy and I taught myself to sail. That meant I had to figure out what rig to fit, get my mother to sew a sail, cut a mast from the bush (forest), make a leeboard and rudder and we were away sailing.

Ours was a plywood praam dinghy, built by our father, so was lighter than a clinker built rowing boat that I'd first rowed.

The number of rowing skiffs in this country is low. The number of rowing boats, wooden or aluminium is far far higher. If someone goes out to set a net over in the bay where our bach is they will row and there certainly aren't any skiffs in the bay.

Then to kayaks, first one I built was 1983, one for my daughter, one for me. And yes, I'd paddled kayaks decades before. So maybe I do know the types of vessels and the correct names for them.

Marc N

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:10 pm

Per the email from the Prime Minister's office above.
.....I have taken the liberty of passing your email to the Minister of Sport’s office so that they can note your comments and perhaps get back to you with a more fulsome explanation as to why your preferred sport has been omitted from the kayaking category under Level 3.....
Jo Pettitt - Office of the Prime Minister
And from the link posted here above
https://sportnz.cwp.govt.nz/covid-19/pu ... reAx1LP728

"Can I fish off my kayak?
Yes, you are able to fish off your kayak but keep close to the shoreline, stay within your ability, and ensure the weather conditions are low risk."

Success!!!

It would appear that Sport NZ, a NZ Government website, has indeed made sure, that we are told that we are specifically, allowed to go fishing.

Jacinda, bless her teeth, listened to us. Good Job, Lads and Ladettes :)
Yu Co

Mac50L

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:30 pm

Full marks Marc N for the trouble you went to and the success you achieved. Thank you.

• Information