No fishing

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
tuaman2
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish Reload/Tempo 2

Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:54 pm

Opinions on the recent news around fishing under level 3? Says no fishing from boats, just from shore and wharves, I would assume this would include no fishing from a kayak?

I got my hopes up I think, expecting to be able to get back out under alert level 3

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Smudger.aws
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution 16

Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:29 pm

They say no fishing from boats as they can breakdown....our Hobies have at least 2 forms of propulsion, paddles and peddles, the Island has 3 with the addition of sailing....so not really any risk of needing rescue, so we'll be going out at the first opportunity...

I'd argue that kayaking is safer than swimming or surfing, both of which have been classed as permitted...

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:13 pm

What are the chances we'll get this clarified before 3-day? If not, who will be the crash test dummy? Here in Mangawhai I could do it on the day we go back to level 3 and you can bet your last bag of flour there will be at least 10 people reporting me within the first 1/2 hour if not sooner, so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

tuaman2
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish Reload/Tempo 2

Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:30 pm

Smudger.aws wrote:They say no fishing from boats as they can breakdown....our Hobies have at least 2 forms of propulsion, paddles and peddles, the Island has 3 with the addition of sailing....so not really any risk of needing rescue, so we'll be going out at the first opportunity...

I'd argue that kayaking is safer than swimming or surfing, both of which have been classed as permitted...
Agree with kayak fishing being less risky than surfing/swimming, also they said to keep it unmotorised, surely we would be able to head out

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:56 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:24 pm
It's your call mate, but it goes against the advice of all the emergency services and the government which has finally got it's advice straight. I feel your pain, I really want to get out for a fish too, but have decided against it.

This may help you to make up your mind about how to play this one. It's not all about avoiding infection. In the hospital where I work, we have stopped all non-essential surgery. Yesterday, this was extended to cancer surgery. The consequences of this decision are obvious. We are discussing postponing even urgent surgery where there isn't direct threat to life. For example, if you break a bone, it may not get fixed. The bone may or may not heal by itself, possibly with deformity or loss of function. This may or may not be fixable down the line. Whatever you think about the government's strategy, this is a reality right now.

I meet someone almost every day of my working life who has fallen and broken an ankle, put a chainsaw through their foot, cut a tendon in their hand when filleting a fish. I also see far worse, mainly as a result of road accidents. No one wakes up in the morning thinking they are going to end up in hospital, yet we see thousands of cases every year.

Have a think about the risks you are exposing yourself to over the next four weeks (or maybe longer), the safety net has been removed.
Interesting there mate. Genuinely curious, is the postponing of surgeries due to the actual busyness of the hospitals, or keeping capacity high for potential busyness?
IE, won't set a bone because there really isn't the capacity to do so? Cause I thought the numbers of infected in hospital was really low currently.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm taking a dig. Honestly not - I have no idea what the situation on the ground actually looks like for you guys.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:26 am

>>Genuinely curious, is the postponing of surgeries due to the actual busyness of the hospitals, or keeping capacity high for potential busyness?<<

I would think that, "keeping capacity high for potential busyness" is the answer there, and also treating every respiratory style illness, as potential covid, has got to be keeping the people busier than normal.

* note I have no involvement in the health sector.

I do have a mate, who is chief wonk, at an intensive care facility, at one of Australia's larger hospitals, he has been in gloves, masks and gowns etc, almost constantly.

I declare an interest, I was due to have an operation, by about three weeks ago, needless to say, not happening, not even a notification of delay, just no date.

So on the one hand, I am in intense pain 2 or 3 times a week and having to take magic pills to tolerate said pain, on the other hand, when I am well, I can't go for a paddle with a rod, for fear of being lynched.

So now lvl 3 looks like, they will allow people to stand up paddle board, but will allow they allow me to sit on top of a paddle board, or Kayak, if I have a fishing rod with me? Prolly not.

It's starting to feel like, "Lock yourself in a box mate, and expire quietly".

I'd like to thank Hainsey for sending an email to MBIE on behalf of all KFNZ members, asking about the definition. Good work Hainsey, I sincerely hope you get a response.

P.S. would it help if I wore Lycra ?
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:34 am

sk8e8 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:56 pm
Interesting there mate. Genuinely curious, is the postponing of surgeries due to the actual busyness of the hospitals, or keeping capacity high for potential busyness?
Basically, the latter and keeping staff healthy. The disaster hasn't happened (yet?!), probably due to the lockdown, but we will never really know. Things are slowly starting to return to normal.

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:46 am

You will be allow to go surfing - OK? So you paddle off, you're going to surf you kayak, to the nearest surf beach which is 20? km away. So you fish on the way and turn back after an hour. No you didn't manage to get to the surf beach but that was what you were going to do as you were told it was OK. So?

Yes, an interesting question. Kayak surfing is what we do on our training weekend at Okains Bay each year.

How many swimmers and surfers need rescuing each year? How many kayakers out for a calm paddle need rescuing? And then there is the dog walker who fell off a cliff and the body needed rescuing by sea a few weeks ago.

How many fishing from the bottom of their garden needed rescuing. The fishing bit seems to have been a NO because they only thought of power boat fishing. OK, there are idiots who go out to the edge of rocks where there is big surf breaking as seen on Piha Rescue.

Ferret
Kayak Make: Container Door Special!
Kayak Model: Two person tank
VHF Call Sign: Nil

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:02 am

I'm thinking of just heading to Orewa or Wenderholm for a bit of a surfcast into the river channels. That will satisfy two things, a nice drive and a wander around in the fresh air with rod in hand!

Does anyone know if there are any good spots in the upper Waitemata harbour and if any snapper would wander up there at this time of year??

The kayak will have to wait unfortunately...

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:06 pm

I see our Jacinda demonstrating unity and support, for our hunting fraternity, wearing her Camouflage Hunting Blouse.

Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Smudger.aws
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution 16

Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:21 pm

If Hainsey gets a reply, I'll put money on it being a NO....default position will always be to say no, then no one can be blamed......I'd sooner take my chances on arguing with the cops about interpretation and commonsense, forgivness vs permission

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:35 pm

Marc N wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:06 pm
I see our Jacinda demonstrating unity and support, for our hunting fraternity, wearing her Camouflage Hunting Blouse.
Don't joke. The hunting fraternity are not happy. Hunting is specifically not going to be allowed under Level 3 with no good reason as far as I can see. Tramping is allowed for example. Tramping and numerous other sports (fishing included!) result in far more ACC claims than hunting. If the government wants people to follows the rules, then they have to be logical and fair.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:02 pm

Mac50L wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:46 am
How many swimmers and surfers need rescuing each year? How many kayakers out for a calm paddle need rescuing?
The numbers aren't really comparable. FAAAAR fewer kayakers out compared to swimmers and surfers. I'd probably suggest kayakers need rescuing at a higher ratio.
Coming into winter, the numbers of swimmers and 'summer surfers' will be far lower too, with more a higher % of competent people going out.
The colder water will also increase the risk to kayakers.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:51 pm

One post soapbox...
I carry a spare paddle, VHF, flares (2 pinpoint, two chutes), first aid kit (and trained), PLB and leave intentions as well as logging with Marine Radio for every trip. Am competent in, and in fact enjoy relatively 'insane' water.
Never needed any assistance, let alone rescue in 35 years.

As someone who paddles weekly, has salt water for blood, yet due to excessively bad planning lives outside the "local" definition for visiting the coast - There's probably few who have the craving as much as I.
It's oh so tempting to go for a lazy fish in the local inlets, but I'm staying put.

There will always be some who justify to themselves 'valid' reasoning to go for a paddle; "It's only..." , "What's the difference between..." or, "The directive doesn't specifically mention red kayaks with fewer than 4 rodholders..."
Trouble is it starts a chain reaction of "Well, he's out there, why shouldn't I..."

From a SAR standpoint, do the right thing. No worse than being grounded during the Equinox gales.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:13 pm

I'd like to be able to go to the coastguard page and register to 'opt out' of being rescued.

I'll buy a special headband or something for $20 to support them even.

Then I can go out, not feel guilty, and rely on myself.

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:15 pm

It appeared on the news, if I heard it right, someone was dobbed in for fishing off a yacht and given a warning. He lives on the yacht plus 20+ other yachts anchored around him with people living on them. If I was him I'd put fishing rods all around the deck but without lines on them so from the shore it looked really bad and really annoy those who had to keep warning him not to fish as obviously not fishing if no lines attached despite some on shore saying he was. And to get round the actual fishing? Do it at night when no one can see.

There are places, and it talked to some up north and there are others in the Marlborough Sounds, who's only access is by water. To go to the supermarket you go by boat. What would happen if a fish hook fell overboard with a line on it?

And yes, we are behaving ourselves and not going to the bach and not going kayaking.

• Information