No fishing

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:22 pm

Just as I had finished my new Kayak fit out, this lvl 4 lockdown is in place.

So I may not go kayaking, on the reasoning that if I do, the Helicopters and Search and Rescue and the Navy will have to rescue me.

Though how they're going to fit the whole Navy into the area next to Birkenhead wharf, mystifies me.

To tie up these resources would be selfish and unwarranted.

Fair enough.

I'd like to relate my experiences of the lock down so far.

My wife works at a supermarket and as such is an essential worker. I take her to work each day in the car, windows wound up tight, so no virus can attack us.

She's a worker helping provide food etc. to the rest of us.

It's a journey that surprises me, in the amount of people who, whilst keeping a 2 metre distance from each other, are obviously convinced that fashionable lycra exercise clothes, confer viral immunity.

Thursday: I saw 7 bicyclists, separately, about 25 individuals and couples walking, on my drive.

I further drove (alone) the less that 800 metres down to Birkenhead wharf to see, no fishermen, but 6 different mother and baby pairings exercising in a yoga like fashion, all separated by 2 ~ 10 metres from each other, in the park there.

Friday: a repeat of Thursday, but only two mother and baby pairings doing yoga in the park.

Saturday: Same, no mother and baby pairings in the park. But people who are pushing strollers, think that passing each other within 500mm or so is acceptable.

You know the glazed-eyed grinning-grimace, that competitive aerobics participants get? when filmed doing their routine? Some of the Lycra people were grinning like that.

Bicyclists - leaving aside why they don't use the bicycle lanes we've had thrust upon us, instead using the footpath or road like we all used to, when I was young, I'd like to exhort any cyclists reading this, to take care, even though there are very few cars on the road and the chance of accident is minimal, Ambulances could still be needed.

Apparently the risk of a bicyclist needing an ambulance, is way way way, less than a Kayaker requiring the Helicopters and Search and Rescue and the Navy if going for a quiet fish alone in the Auckland Harbour.
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:26 pm

I work in healthcare. I could write a long post, but in short, STAY AT HOME! I wish I could!

Marc N

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:37 pm

Excepting delivering my wife to essential work, I do stay at home.

My post was to illustrate the dichotomy of not allowing kayaking, but letting bicyclists have free reign. I know I've had bicycle accidents.

And Andrew, you in health care, like my wife are the brave ones. Thank you for your efforts.
Yu Co

Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:38 pm

Would be nice to go out and have a fish but when pm said if your looking for loopholes then you have missed point, reinforced what I already thought. Currently working through chores over 6 months old and staring longingly at a brand new reel that's not really been tested.

Sure all it will do when people take a chance is prolong this.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Badfisherman

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:41 pm

Agree with cycling. Surely that's a risk

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Kayaks getting so much love in the garage at the moment, rerigging, glassing, waxing...just sitting there looking at them with beer in hand, sniffing the salt on the PFD sort of thing.
Won't be able to move on the water when the whistle blows...

Personally, I think from Monday there should be zero-tolerance for those who flout...
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:13 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:26 pm
I work in healthcare. I could write a long post, but in short, STAY AT HOME! I wish I could!
Andrew, You guys on the frontline need far more recognition of what you are selflessly doing. I really hope you and your family dodge this.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:47 pm

Marc N wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:37 pm
Excepting delivering my wife to essential work, I do stay at home.

My post was to illustrate the dichotomy of not allowing kayaking, but letting bicyclists have free reign. I know I've had bicycle accidents.

And Andrew, you in health care, like my wife are the brave ones. Thank you for your efforts.
My comment wasn't directed at you, you are clearly on to it. Thanks for you comments.

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:54 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Andrew, You guys on the frontline need far more recognition of what you are selflessly doing. I really hope you and your family dodge this.
Thanks for your comments. We are in a difficult position. I'm right on the front line and fully expect to become infected at some point. My wife is a GP. Since she is no longer doing face-to-face consultations, she is somewhat protected, but will still have other clinical duties which means that she can't self isolate. We would accept all of this if we didn't have a child. We can't both die, or become so unwell that we can't look after him. Difficult times.

As for people clapping. It doesn't do much for me, but it might boost the morale of others working in the healthcare sector and other essential services.

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Keep up the great work guys.... people like me who “are removed” from direct contact with healthcare or other essential worker certainly appreciate the efforts you guys and gals are all putting in !

Meanwhile I’ll try and do what I can by staying at home, social distancing and dealing with some morons on the various FB forums etc that I’m involved with !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Badfisherman

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:27 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Thanks for your comments. We are in a difficult position. I'm right on the front line and fully expect to become infected at some point. My wife is a GP. Since she is no longer doing face-to-face consultations, she is somewhat protected, but will still have other clinical duties which means that she can't self isolate. We would accept all of this if we didn't have a child. We can't both die, or become so unwell that we can't look after him. Difficult times.

As for people clapping. It doesn't do much for me, but it might boost the morale of others working in the healthcare sector and other essential services.
Huge respect for you guys and everyone that has to provide essential services. Really tough situation. Hoping you stay well.

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:19 pm

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:15 pm

I have so much respect for our doctors, nurses, GP's and essential workers doing their part to steer the country out of harm's way. I have 2 very good friends who are doctor's and the message from them is crystal clear - stay home.

It's highly unlikely I'll have a job to return to because of the lockdown. But I want to productive and proactive again when lockdown ends. The sooner the better.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 am

So what's this lock-down thing? My partner and a couple of her friends doing music practise the last couple of days. The three of them from different parts of the city, all together, playing ukuleles together.

Separation? About 20 km between each, using Google Hangout on the computer. They could have used Zoom but limited to 40 minutes a session.

Yes, a bit difficult kayaking on the computer, will have to think about it. Oh, that's what we're doing now..... sort of...

Sorry about the front-line people, a hard job in these times and we all thank them.

Smudger.aws
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution 16

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:28 am

At the risk of being flamed (or whatever the current expression is...) what would be the problem with me and wife taking our two hobie kayaks from home to a remote Northland beach (20 minutes of back roads) and going for a fish? Each kayak has two forms of propulsion (paddles and peddles) plus we'd be in a very good position to help each other out in the unlikely event of something happening. We'd be less at risk of contracting/transmitting Covid than if we drove 20 mins in the other direction and went to the supermarket to buy fish!

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:24 pm

It's your call mate, but it goes against the advice of all the emergency services and the government which has finally got it's advice straight. I feel your pain, I really want to get out for a fish too, but have decided against it.

This may help you to make up your mind about how to play this one. It's not all about avoiding infection. In the hospital where I work, we have stopped all non-essential surgery. Yesterday, this was extended to cancer surgery. The consequences of this decision are obvious. We are discussing postponing even urgent surgery where there isn't direct threat to life. For example, if you break a bone, it may not get fixed. The bone may or may not heal by itself, possibly with deformity or loss of function. This may or may not be fixable down the line. Whatever you think about the government's strategy, this is a reality right now.

I meet someone almost every day of my working life who has fallen and broken an ankle, put a chainsaw through their foot, cut a tendon in their hand when filleting a fish. I also see far worse, mainly as a result of road accidents. No one wakes up in the morning thinking they are going to end up in hospital, yet we see thousands of cases every year.

Have a think about the risks you are exposing yourself to over the next four weeks (or maybe longer), the safety net has been removed.

Smudger.aws
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution 16

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:37 pm

Sobering comments Andrew, thank you. Having been the beneficiary of several orthopedic surgeries over the years (keen motorcyclist, or as you guys call us, donors) you comments hit home, we won't be going fishing any time soon.

Marc N

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:37 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:24 pm
It's your call mate ... ... the safety net has been removed.
thanks 4 that - good advice
Yu Co

Marc N

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:39 pm

further to my concern over cyclists

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/120670 ... down-rules
Yu Co

Smelli
Kayak Make: ocean scrambler
Kayak Model: XT
VHF Call Sign: none yet

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Yup staying at home unless going out for necessary items like food or medicines is best idea. Sooner get it under control the better.
Hats off to all the other essential workers out there, we all taking a risk but if using the correct PPE we should be all good.
Am just dreading if any of our prisoners catch it somehow then I will be stuck in prison myself and unable to go home until all clear
so fingers crossed no prisoners catch it :) :puke:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... ber=717361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out link for Tackle Deals

• Information