Old Town Predator PDL

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:41 am

I'm looking at changing up. Has anyone here got one of these? and what could they tell me about it, any comments welcome.

I've seen Mr Flower's utubery at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRchG0 ... G5e_33yhCQ

And also Rob Fort's at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKg7kt ... U79TOZnssg

Not to mention the 'merican offerings.

So I guess I'm pretty well up to the mark on the practical things like features and so on.

My curiosity is piqued by, seeing Kerry Flowers traipsing about most of the Pacific Ocean, what is a more reasonable range for a 60 yr old? Will it break yer legs?

It doesn't seem too heavy, the 2020 model seems fast, the feature set looks good, so really I'm after personal observations and pros and cons :)
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:03 pm

If I was going to buy another kayak, it would be one of those :y:
I wouldn't want to car top it though!

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:27 pm

Really am not trying to be 'that guy' but for the price they are asking for these sorts of weapons, you can get an inflatable with 10hp outboard. Less time paddling/peddling, more time fishing. fold it up into the back seat/boot of the car.

apart from spikey things (the tubes are always multiple chambered anyway), what's the downside and how does it compare to the cons of a yak?

Marc N

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:59 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:27 pm
Really am not trying to be 'that guy' but for the price they are asking for these sorts of weapons, you can get an inflatable with 10hp outboard. Less time paddling/peddling, more time fishing. fold it up into the back seat/boot of the car.

apart from spikey things (the tubes are always multiple chambered anyway), what's the downside and how does it compare to the cons of a yak?
Actually, you are right, I should be thinking, a 12 or 14 foot tinny and an outboard for less than 5 K. And I still get to keep the 'yak for lakes n estuaries :D

But I'm still keen to hear opinions

Thanks
Yu Co

kingiFiddler

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am

I guess a tinny is much harder to puncture, but need a trailer, and cant wheel it down to the waterline when no boat ramp.
Either way, can get fishing faster or cover much more ground, get wider, etc. Probably harder to sneak up on 'em in the shallows though and more slap slap slap against the side.

Leo10
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator 13

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:34 am

I used to have a kayak, then "upgraded" to an inflatable with a 8 hp outboard, then got back to the kayak.
Unless you get a RIB the inflatable is not what you're looking for if you want to move around. The inflatable is soft, it will loose so much power absorbing the hit of the waves that you can't move really fast unless you have a rigid hull. If you do have a rigid Hull you lose portability completely (100 kg more or less for a 4 meter one) and the price go up by a lot.
Also, I have a predator 13. No pedals but I can tell you that for what concerns ability to hold the open sea that Old town kayal have nothing to be ashamed of compared to an inflatable. If you want to add some range to the expedition just consider put a motor on the kayak. I carry that around on top of the car (subaru outback) and I can put that on top of it by myself with a bit of effort (I'm about 90 kg and just got into my 30s). The yak is gonna about 40 kg, but with the pedal you should be able to take the pod away making it way lighter. Trust me when I say that the inflatable is not worthy, it's something in the middle between a tinny and a kayak, with the cons of both and the pros of none.

Leo10

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:34 am

I used to have a kayak, then "upgraded" to an inflatable with a 8 hp outboard, then got back to the kayak.
Unless you get a RIB the inflatable is not what you're looking for if you want to move around. The inflatable is soft, it will loose so much power absorbing the hit of the waves that you can't move really fast unless you have a rigid hull. If you do have a rigid Hull you lose portability completely (100 kg more or less for a 4 meter one) and the price go up by a lot.
Also, I have a predator 13. No pedals but I can tell you that for what concerns ability to hold the open sea that Old town kayal have nothing to be ashamed of compared to an inflatable. If you want to add some range to the expedition just consider put a motor on the kayak. I carry that around on top of the car (subaru outback) and I can put that on top of it by myself with a bit of effort (I'm about 90 kg and just got into my 30s). The yak is gonna about 40 kg, but with the pedal you should be able to take the pod away making it way lighter. Trust me when I say that the inflatable is not worthy, it's something in the middle between a tinny and a kayak, with the cons of both and the pros of none.

kingiFiddler

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:51 am

Thanks for that. What make and model of inflatable was it? I must admit to not seeing youtube videos of the current inflatables in rough seas, but apart from being caught out, it's unlikely I'm taking the yak out in that anyway. But because an inflatable can get out wider it could be argued it would be further away from shelter if the sea cut up rough, if no outer island to shelter behind.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:17 am

Stealth make a skiff that can be cartopped, 5hp outboard gets it going well. Two versions available. Rokkit Kitt videos on YouTube are cool. He has some good tips on fishing and camping with one.

Glass is Class.. dedant

kingiFiddler

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 am

Had to laugh at his first serious fish on the first serious outing with the inflatable he got recently. That marlin was way too green to be that close to the boat, it jumps and punctures it. Too funny.

Leo10

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:00 am

Rokkit kitt does amazing videos and trips, but he also has a nice budget. Even just his kayak is about 4/5k. The micro skiff he uses is way more. The cheapest version of a micro skiff you can find around is called wavewalk and goes up to 2 grand +expedition cost. The inflatable i bought was from a nz company that imports them from the US and Canada and they're based in the South Island. I'll have a look and share the link. The inflatable is wider but it's not very tall compared to the sea. By the time you add the outboard, a bit of load and yourself you'll be pretty close to the water, but while on the kayak you can drain the excess water, on the inflatable it's a bit tricky. If the sea gets choppy I rather be on the kayak then on a 4.3 m inflatable.

kingiFiddler

Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:10 am

Leo10 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:00 am
Even just his kayak is about 4/5k. The micro skiff he uses is way more.
Back to one of my opening points - the new 10HP inflatable is about the same cost as a predator PDL.
Regarding Rod, in his video yesterday he very briefly addressed which he'd rather be using in choppy seas - it wasn't the yak, it was the inflatable. He also noted something that might not be relevant to many of us but on his multi-day trips he needs to pack more and has almost run out of, fresh water if on the 'yak as he is sweating much more. Also, he is going further in the inflatable, covering way more sea, getting to islands he'd probably never even contemplate on a yak.

What's interesting about Rod's case is he has to walk a very thin line, given his employer. If he starts raving about the inflatable and says he hardly gets out on the yak anymore as a result, that's not going to go down too well at work. A few weeks back I asked him to detail the pros and cons of yak vs inflatable and he ignored me. That's the first time he has ever done that.

*edit* I asked a similar question on his recent video and he has just replied with:
"hey really are two very different crafts so its hard to compare the two. The kayak is by far better in rough water to fish from and not get thrown around in then just about any small boat... but even so there's no way would be able to do a long trip like this in the kayak. The kayak is better for surf launches and simple low fuss trips. The Inflatable is perfect for longer distance trips, carrying lots of gear and can handle way worst conditions than both the skiff or a small tinny, also without the fear of swamping and sinking. It really depends on what you are planning to do with it and your location"

One of the selling points of the PDL option is to get wider/faster/with less effort. On that point, and whilst I'm trying to stay open minded, I can't help but consider a similarly priced 10hp inflatable is going to eat the PDL's lunch. Control while fighting fish - backing out of reefs, etc - the PDL is the go for sure. Handling in rough seas - jury is still out but it seems like while travelling the inflatable is the go, but while fishing it seems like the 'yak has an edge. But lets face it, who wants to be fishing in rough seas in a yak anyway? Apart from the very thin extreme edge, most of us try to avoid rough seas in our yaks and if it cuts up rough most of us are more preoccupied with survival than fishing.
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc N

Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:32 am

Coming back to this again, I think I'm going to keep my current 'yak as it's fine, for what I use it for and for calm waters, my main worries are that in any sort of chop, it's wet all the time and I'm too big for it by about 5 kilos. So to solve those issues, it's lose weight for me and keep to calm days inshore.

My interest in the Predator PDL, is that it could take me to deeper waters and bigger fish. And that it seems to be, a magnificent bit of kit.

But for the price, a tinny and an outboard are the way to go, I've had tinnies before and they're pretty indestructible.

One summer on New Years eve, at Mansion House, there was me and the lads in one 12ft tinny, rowing and towing another 12 footer with the lasses in it, back after the party, all drunk as skunks. My mate was out like a light, leaning over the front of the bow, little laplets of water coming into the boat underneath the cover of his supine body. When suddenly we looked down and the boat has filled up! It had some under-seat buoyancy - so we ended up rowing the other one back, towing the first one filled with water and sundry blokes hanging onto it, about 2 kilometres back to the Bach. My how we laughed, the next day.

Inflatables - great tenders as they don't chip the paint on the bigger boat, but I find them wet and heavy for fishing unless you get into the $10k and up range.

So it looks like I'm gonna wait until autumn and then pick up a tinny for the ocean fishing and keep using the 'yak for calmer times.

However I am still interested in any comments on the PDL - particularly from those who've got/had one.
Yu Co

kingiFiddler

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:58 am

Mothership your existing yak with the tinny :-) Yak as a tender for the inflatable ;-)

Marc N

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:14 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:58 am
Mothership your existing yak with the tinny :-)
Now that's a great idea, flat out to the Noisies, anchor up and 'yak around the pinnacles.

Like a jetski, but room for the wife and picnic, and a fully set up fishing machine to jump into, whilst she concentrates on a magazine...
Yu Co

kingiFiddler

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:36 pm

Champion idea.
:y:

kingiFiddler

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:23 pm

Just drove passed a tinny with outboard on trailer for sale on side of road up here. Didn't stop and wasn't going slow but looked like about 12/14'. Sign said $2k ono. Could go back and get more details if you like. Hopefully the outboard isn't a POS.

Marc N

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:42 pm

Thanks for the offer, but don't worry for now.

Like motor bikes, boats get cheaper, as winter starts to arrive. And there're all sorts, on Trademe and Tradeaboat.

So I'll be pouncing, once the cold arrives :)
Yu Co

• Information