A little story about Shimano - with a happy ending.

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:21 pm

Seven months ago I bought a Shimano Stradic 4000 C14+ reel for $350.

I had heard great things about them, and decided it was worth the money to get a good quality reel.

Five weeks ago, I was out fishing when the roller in the bail arm fell out into the water - plop!

So I returned it to where I brought it to get it fixed under warranty (10 years).

Today (after over a month) I hear back that they want $45 to repair it (the store said they talked them down from $85), as the customer (me) must have 'played' with the screw at some stage and not tightened it back up properly.

Really? Why would anyone ever want to loosen the bail arm roller screw?

Clearly they have me over a barrow and just want to bleed some more money out of me.

Well I flat out refused to pay 1 cent! and told the store I will be contacting the small claims court.

At that point the guy said they will pay the cost for me as I'm a good customer, and Shimano do this sort of thing constantly and would just drag their heels forever.

UPDATE:

It seems there was a misunderstanding between the store and Shimano which caused Shimano to think it was a repair job, not a warranty claim.

Shimano have apologized, are repairing the reel for free, and sending me a jumper as well :y:

Now I can put them back on my shopping list.
Last edited by DocProfit on Wed May 02, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Not the first time I have heard that same storey, vote with your feet mate... and for the record who says these are great reels ? I dont think they are anything special at all, just saying :|

Bassifier
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: PA14

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:14 pm

It is perfectly reasonable to self maintain the roller bearing, as a matter of fact its a must.
Now Im not saying Shimano is right to presume anything like you leaving the screw loosened, but its not a big step to assume this may be the case.
The only debate-able thing here is was the screw loose from the factory?
Now a roller bearing for that would cost around a dollar and about 3 minutes max to put in.
I would presume some of that associated cost you are being charged for would be shipping also- I would clarify what portion of the cost is for the parts and installation of those parts and what is being sent your way for shipping etc.
For something as simple as this, you may want to consider a direct call to Shimano and usually a replacement will be sent out post haste. (usually with minimal, if any charge)
Regards, Richard.

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:59 pm

I think this is a NZ thing - FU/poor customer service. I am genuinely surprised when this isn't the case. People make a song and dance about buying offshore and NZ warranties, but I don't think it matters, it's generally FU all the way. I hope other brands selling here are better. Any recommendations?

twobarefeet
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3 Ultra

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:51 pm

Huge ups to the shop in this case!

DocProfit

Tue May 01, 2018 8:47 am

Bassifier wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:14 pm
It is perfectly reasonable to self maintain the roller bearing, as a matter of fact its a must.
Now Im not saying Shimano is right to presume anything like you leaving the screw loosened, but its not a big step to assume this may be the case.
The only debate-able thing here is was the screw loose from the factory?
Now a roller bearing for that would cost around a dollar and about 3 minutes max to put in.
I would presume some of that associated cost you are being charged for would be shipping also- I would clarify what portion of the cost is for the parts and installation of those parts and what is being sent your way for shipping etc.
For something as simple as this, you may want to consider a direct call to Shimano and usually a replacement will be sent out post haste. (usually with minimal, if any charge)
Regards, Richard.
This was only about the 6th time I had used that reel, and hadn't caught anything big enough to really stress it.

I was planning on getting a yearly service for it, so at 7 months I didn't think I would have to check the bail arm screw to make sure it wouldn't fall out on the water.

I would have been ok with them posting me a replacement for say $10 and fixing it myself.

But waiting a month to be told they wanted $85 (talked down to $45) for such a simple fix is total BS and the worst customer service I have experienced.

Not even a sorry for the month wait.

Goodbye to them.

DocProfit

Tue May 01, 2018 8:57 am

twobarefeet wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:51 pm
Huge ups to the shop in this case!
Marine Deals Online.

:y:

Telecaster
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Tue May 01, 2018 10:56 am

Tangent here, but speaking of buying offshore, I have 2 x Daiwa BG2500 reels arriving from SRMO in the states, got both of them for $232 landed in NZ.

Best price I have seen here is $199 each. Makes it an easy decision!

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Tue May 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Telecaster wrote:
Tangent here, but speaking of buying offshore, I have 2 x Daiwa BG2500 reels arriving from SRMO in the states, got both of them for $232 landed in NZ.

Will have to add GST too soon.
Also, it's great UNTIL you need any support by Daiwa - they won't even open the box if they know you bought it offshore.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

awondering

Tue May 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Telecaster wrote:

I have been eye balling those for sometime and reading some of the write ups seems a very good unit packed full of quality parts, and yep I just bought a Daiwa Tatula overseas for less than half price here only used it once but feels awesome

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Tue May 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Because I'm a cheapskate, I could never pay 200 bucks for a reel.

What I tend to do is buy 20~30 dollar reels online and replace them once they fail. I've only ever had one reel fail inside a year. I also give them a quick little grease every year to the cogs.

The best reel I've got, was one I found attached to a floating Surfcaster, in the middle of the Hauraki Gulf past the Noisies, that was 20~30 years ago and it's an Okuma, still going strong. The surfcaster has Chinese characters on it and it's still going strong, it's a 3 piece 14' and appears to be carbon or graphite.

I've also recovered two Penn style reels from the seafloor, whilst diving, complete with barnacles, gave them a quick grease, and they're still going strong after 20~30 years.
Last edited by Marc N on Thu May 03, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Telecaster

Wed May 02, 2018 7:20 am

sk8e8 wrote:
Telecaster wrote:

Also, it's great UNTIL you need any support by Daiwa - they won't even open the box if they know you bought it offshore.
I never go thru Daiwa - Swordfish Steve can service them (he even does mag-sealed reels now) and he goes to daiwa for the parts he needs. At the end of the day, no-one seems to honor the warranty if they find salt inside the reel which is inevitable on a kayak.

For things like bail roller bearings etc I quite often go direct to a bearing wholesaler, if you take the old bearing in they can measure it and give you some nice options at good prices.

Telecaster

Wed May 02, 2018 7:23 am

Marc N wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:40 pm
Because I'm a cheapskate, I could never pay 200 bucks for a reel.

What I tend to do is buy 20~30 dollar reels online and replace them once they fail. I've only ever had one reel fail inside a year. I also give them a quick little grease every year to the cogs.
Yep that is another option, I know HLD does very well on the shimano fx4000 reels, I just like a nice smooth reel and a good drag. I do a bit of wash fishing over shallow foul where sometimes you need the extra stopping power. I will see how these ones go.

DocProfit

Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 am

UPDATE.

Well well...

I just got a call from Shimano.

They said there had been a miscommunication and my reel had been logged as a standard repair and not a warranty claim.

They apologized (which was the main thing I was looking for), are fixing it for free, and sending me out a free jumper.

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 am

Good result, congrats!

I still think, that to make a Shimano reel, despite, prolly better quality components, it only costs them in the order of tens of cents more than a cheap no-name reel.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

BFIST

Wed May 02, 2018 9:55 am

DocProfit wrote:UPDATE.

Well well...

I just got a call from Shimano.

They said there had been a miscommunication and my reel had been logged as a standard repair and not a warranty claim.

They apologized (which was the main thing I was looking for), are fixing it for free, and sending me out a free jumper.

Who knew Shimano NZ read these forums....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed May 02, 2018 10:01 am

Glad to see you had a good outcome in the end! :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

AndrewRawlingson

Wed May 02, 2018 1:54 pm

Good news and well done Shimano :y: Back on the Christmas list!

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Wed May 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Good outcome!
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

awondering

Wed May 02, 2018 2:43 pm

sk8e8 wrote:
Telecaster wrote:

Little more to it than that, dunno if you have read the process and parameters of the GST collection, I reckon there are too many ways to avoid it to even be a consideration...

• Information