Fishing Kayak Newbie~ Is this a good fishing kayak?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Ananda
Kayak Make: Just borrowed temporarily
Kayak Model: Tbc
VHF Call Sign: NA

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi I am looking at purchasing this fishing kayak
https://www.bestdealsmarine.co.nz/produ ... hing-kayak
While is is not a viking kayak, it is under $1000 which seems pretty good for all you get.
This is my first fishing kayak and I do not know a whole lot about it. Can anyone comment on bestdealsmarine.co.nz in general and this kayak in particular? Apparently it is the last one and it is actually 3 different colours which seems weird. Anyway at the moment I have it on deposit for a few days.
Assessment of experiened kayak fisherpersons would be most helpful to me.
Thanks
Ananda
Feel free to call if you want to as well 0273890690
Far North

Update Monday April 9
Cheers Yakees, thanks heaps for your thoughts and the awesome advice. Problem with Viking is has not rudder and up here in far north off shore thats a must. Comes with a 1 year guarantee. Will ponder your recommendations, this is an awesome forum.
Happy safe yakking
PS Met a woman in Whangerai today who claims to have the world snapper record. landed it up here in the far north and was in fishing mag, apparently it was as tough as old boots and required so much coconut milk they gave up! lol Let old dogs or fish in this case, lie as they say!
Ananda
Last edited by Ananda on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Looks almost exactly like a Prowler 4.3 which is a good yak. Whether the quality is there, I don't know.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:28 am

Never heard of the seller myself, must be a Chinese made kayak, and as Mike said it looks very much like a copy of an OK Prowler with it's copy of the flippy lid.

It does look like you get a lot for the money thou...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:33 am

Mmmm... this question comes up a lot.... so my response is along the lines of....

What support / back up will you get if something goes wrong ?
Is it NZ made ?
What’s the warranty.... 2-3-4 years vs some NZ Manufacturers that give essentially lifetime warranties on the hull
There’s heaps of products available in the market yet with a few thousand members on this forum, there’s a handful that seem to be used by the majority...... most of these are NZ made or have NZ made origins.... Viking, Phoenix, OK, Cobra, Barracuda .....I’m sure I’ve missed 1-2 others but Im sure you get the idea..
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:36 am

Keep an eye on the secondhand market too - there is a bargain Stealth 495 for sale on here and here's a good value Viking 400 on Trademe > https://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1595302834
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Not being a Kiwi myself, I don't feel quite as strongly about "must be made in NZ" as a lot of others on here do. HOWEVER, it is generally true that you get what you paid for and the question is, do you really want to be out there on the water with your life dependent on some lower quality replica?
I think this is a video of it and they do mention "replica of Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3" in there.(switch on Youtube translate), the original name being "Angler 4.3 Liker PRO".
I'd rather go cheap on the rod and real or other stuff that don't affect my personal safety.

As Mental suggested, you might be better off with a secondhand version of a more trusted brand like Viking or Ocean Kayak (the real deal).
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:32 pm

My money would be on that viking mate

SitDown
Kayak Make: paddle power

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:32 pm

Ananda wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 pm
Can anyone comment on bestdealsmarine.co.nz in general and this kayak in particular?
The "Yak Xipe" life jacket they sell is probably the best deal in town, usually 250ish. I bought mine there last year & was 75 bucks cheaper then the next best deal of the same jacket... you wont go wrong with a purpose built kayak fishing life jacket....

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:15 pm

awondering wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:32 pm
My money would be on that viking mate
..and my money would be on his money.
Blazer60
In between ships ZMW5911
Any Stealths for sale?

Caveman
Kayak Make: Ocean River
Kayak Model: Freedom

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:55 pm

Looks like these?

http://www.bluemako.co.nz/f40-pro-fishing-kayak.html
http://www.bluemako.co.nz/f43-sport-fishing-kayak.html

I'm supposed to be test driving both in a few weeks. The guy who imports them is married to one of my colleagues.
I will report back:-)
B

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Ananda
Kayak Make: Just borrowed temporarily
Kayak Model: Tbc
VHF Call Sign: NA

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi Caveman is bluemarko a chinese copy kayak too?
Cheers
Ananda

erectus
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: dunno

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Like everyone else has already said... stalk TM and get a used viking man. you'll only end up upgrading anyway just like everyone else has. And if for some strange reason you don't like it you can sell it again for what you bought it for, no harm done. That WILL NOT happen with a chinese copy.

I didn't find I needed a rudder with the 400 at all and I have been out in some stupidly nasty crap in it. Actually the last time was a bit of a wake up call for me... nothing to do with not having a rudder just not checking the forecast properly and probably being a bit over confident. now if its forecast for howling offshores... I won't go out :clap:

The only times I really wished I had a rudder for the 400 was when there was bugger all wind so I didn't want to put the sea anchor out but couldn't keep the damn kayak pointing where I wanted it to while drifting...

*edit
Just want to add that I have never been a long way offshore in it. several km yes many times but maybe someone with proper offshore experience wants to chime in on the rudder thing?

• Information