Kayak Trolling for Kingfish

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Bluekiwi

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:44 pm

Hey guys, what is the best thing to tow behind me, if I want to go out for a kayak and troll with a lure to catch a kingi.
Around Torbay their is a lot of activity at moment about 5k's out and masses of bait fish and kawhai and birds going crazy, and thinking of just cruising around through that to see what I can get.

Out their in a boat a few weeks back and just towing my line with sinker and a hunk of bait on the end, had a good strike from a Kingi but it didn't stick.
Now I want one :)

And I just want to cruise at a slow easy speed
My main worry is that is going to be too slow to attract one.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:36 pm

IMO, a live bait. Then you only need to go like 1-2 kt and that'd be perfect.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:42 pm

sk8e8 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:36 pm
IMO, a live bait. Then you only need to go like 1-2 kt and that'd be perfect.
Double that. Slow troll a livey - it's very relaxing until the ratchet starts to growl...
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:56 pm

OR just drift with your live bait , even easier :-)

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:45 pm

If no livie, then a deadie. Failing that, pick your poison. I prefer slug-go's. But I ain't telling how I keep 'em away from the hordes of Kahawai.

Telecaster
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Yeah big softbaits are easy to tow, maybe a large Savage Gear Real Eel on a 1oz jighead. Bigger the better - usually less kahawai hookups on big lures.

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:13 pm

I'd go for a big paddle tail softie of some kind. Not too much resistance and kingies love that vibration!

erectus
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: dunno

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:13 pm
I'd go for a big paddle tail softie of some kind. Not too much resistance and kingies love that vibration!
Which big paddle tail!?! I've been searching for something like a 7/8 inch zman paddler for ages but as far as I can tell they don't exist?

Slow trolling livies is great if you can easily catch them and all you are doing is going for kingies but they can be a pain in the ass otherwise. Keeping more than one alive on the kayak becomes a pain in the ass if you're not geared up for it as well... and if you've only got the one out you can guarantee the biggest dirtiest kahawhai (or shark/gannet) is going to deal to it as soon as things start getting exciting...
For the record, livebait torpedos are a huge pain in the ass to tow. The hanging cage net things are great if all you are doing is drifting away from your livey spot otherwise they are a pain in the ass. I even tried anchoring the net and coming back to it to get livies, that also sucked... bucket on board with livies in it and manually refreshing water is a pain in the ass......

Never tried the proper 'livebait pod' setup but I am sure it would be awesome.... one day... maybe others have better ideas than my string of failings? That said I have landed a few decent livebaited kingies off the kayak. getting towed by them is pretty epic but I've caught more on plastics... considering the time and effort I have put into my pinger livebait setups its a joke really haha

So yeah sluggos get my vote. not that I have ever used them still waiting for the bloody things to get shipped from the states.. |(

erectus
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite
VHF Call Sign: dunno

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:13 am

Legend. Thank you

• Information