Anyone carrying all their tackle in their PFD?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Nearing the end of my first Summer of (moderately serious) yak fishing, I've finally become quite ruthless about simplifying and de-cluttering, having figured out how I like to fish this relatively tiny platform. I'm now at the point of wondering if I could get away with all tackle/softbaits in pockets on a suitable PFD (current one would not be).

Even if it were possible, would a PFD packed with gear be a nightmare when trying to get back on once tipped off the yak?

If not, and especially if you fish this way, which PFD would you suggest I look at please?

Thanks all.

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Interesting idea. I think it could be done. One small box of softies, maybe jig heads preloaded with Zman softies and/or a small box of microjigs, plus a small spool of leader material. I'd skip Gulp because you'll get through too many. You can forget other forms of jigging if going ultra-minimalist.

As for PFD, my Palm Hydroadventure (which I've had for 8 years and highly recommend) would be able to carry the amount of stuff described above.

B0ydie
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 pm

I use a trout fishing jacket over top of pfd to carry tackle so if it turns bad and i end up in the water I can dump it. Started using it on my first kayak p30 mako which had no storage

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Profish 400

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:11 pm

NRS Chinook are awesome, full of pockets and really comfortable.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/life-ves ... ife-jacket

kingiFiddler

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:37 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:37 pm
Interesting idea. I think it could be done. One small box of softies, maybe jig heads preloaded with Zman softies and/or a small box of microjigs, plus a small spool of leader material. I'd skip Gulp because you'll get through too many. You can forget other forms of jigging if going ultra-minimalist.

As for PFD, my Palm Hydroadventure (which I've had for 8 years and highly recommend) would be able to carry the amount of stuff described above.
Thanks for that. I'm still not sure if the pockets would hold a container big enough to carry trolling jigs/crankbaits/poppers/etc. I'll leave speed jigging for the more stable platforms and fitter anglers :-) Would have to work out what was the net weight of all the gear I stuff in it and make sure the PFD was rated accordingly. That or I could always loose a few kilos.

Thanks for that PFD recommendation. Eight years is quite amazing for yak fishing. I didn't expect to get more than a few years. But then I noticed the $200+ price of it and figure it better bloody well last a long time :-)

B0ydie wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 pm
I use a trout fishing jacket over top of pfd to carry tackle so if it turns bad and i end up in the water I can dump it. Started using it on my first kayak p30 mako which had no storage

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Hadn't thought of that idea, thanks. No shortage of pockets on one of those either.

Another thought was a camping type of belt bag that I can tweak to clip to the back of the seat. But I can almost guarantee while fumbling around behind my back I'll lose my best and no doubt irreplaceable sinking lure/s overboard. or I'll get lazy and leave them on-deck once I get them out, rather than put them back behind me. The freak wave, or freak'n arrogant skipper, or big thing that gets sideways before I can drag the yak over the top of it that tips me out will then see way too much $ sinking to the bottom because I never stowed the tackle away in that rear bag.
DocProfit wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:11 pm
NRS Chinook are awesome, full of pockets and really comfortable.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/life-ves ... ife-jacket
Damn, they do look good, thanks. I just can't bring myself to spend $200+ on one.

Maybe the theme here is I'm too tight. But if an expensive PFD will do the job and last many years more than a cheapie, it's probably the best value overall.

MikeAqua
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:21 pm

I minimise what I carry on/in my PFD. When I had the Espri I used to wear a waist tackle-bag, on the basis I could dump it if I needed to.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Telecaster
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:57 am

Yes I have always carried everything in my PFD and have had no problem getting back into the kayak with the PFD on.

I use the Extrasport Osprey http://www.raglanwatersports.co.nz/prod ... life-vest/

I attach a knife in a plastic sheath to the D-ring on the front, 2 packs of zman in the right large pocket, spools of trace in the left, jigs and jigheads and hooks etc in the 5 smaller pockets.

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:56 am

Good one Telecaster. Do all the jig heads etc get wet each time you go out, or do you manage to keep them dry?

kingiFiddler

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:41 am

Telecaster wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:57 am
Yes I have always carried everything in my PFD and have had no problem getting back into the kayak with the PFD on.

I use the Extrasport Osprey http://www.raglanwatersports.co.nz/prod ... life-vest/

I attach a knife in a plastic sheath to the D-ring on the front, 2 packs of zman in the right large pocket, spools of trace in the left, jigs and jigheads and hooks etc in the 5 smaller pockets.
Thanks for that.
AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:56 am
Good one Telecaster. Do all the jig heads etc get wet each time you go out, or do you manage to keep them dry?
Was thinking the same thing. So, do great minds think alike or fools seldom differ? :rofl:
Was eyeing up those little plastic pill boxes for this.

Telecaster
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:59 pm

I always assume everything got wet, so they all go into a tub of fresh water while I hose down my other gear, then get laid out on a paper towel to dry for a couple of days before I put them away.

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 pm

Personally I don't think using your PFD as a tackle box is very wise at all . The bulkier your PFD the harder it is to get back into your yak when your neck deep in water .

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:47 pm

My PFD carries a whistle, rescue knife, VHF, PLB and occasionally a camera in the pocket. Never anything else.

Tackle (Tub of assorted SBs, a doz. jig heads, poppers, couple of pre-leadered spare spools in different weights, gaff etc) sit on board under the flip-lid jigheads live in screw-top ptfe jars - if a jar gets opened at all on the water, the contents get the rinse and dry on return.

In terms of PFD lifespan, I have a NZ made Hydraulics cordura PFD now, same build quality to the Palms - getting on for 8 years, compared to two-three max with the ripstop nylon ones.
For my paddling situation, won't look at nylon PFDs anymore (It was the UV that killed them).

HLD
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

kingiFiddler

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:09 pm

Tested an old camera bag today. One of those nylon bags with lots of pockets and zips. Shoulder strap. Could swing it out of the way behind the backrest and then swing it back in front when needed something. Held everything but a real PITA with barbs getting caught in it. I still haven't found any good small inline eye hooks to replace the trebles on the bibbed lures I've been trialling and those wee VMC trebles are a nightmare.

I reckon I might be able to get away with a tackle tray mounted to the lid of the centre storage hatch. This frees up said hatch for a livie tank once I get one of those portable aerators. I couldn't catch a single freak'n livie today, but did fill that hatch up with water to see how the yak reacted. Seems fine.

would have to mount the tackle tray very well because it could take a hammering from fish...on a good day.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:26 pm

kingiFiddler wrote: .... This frees up said hatch for a livie tank once I get one of those portable aerators.
Aahh - Now the intent behind the original post makes a bit more sense ;)

(Sidecutters will sort out the excess barbs on the trebles)

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

kingiFiddler

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:54 pm

Intent is to take only what's needed to fish and stay safe. Absolutely nothing else. No fluff. No passengers. Strip it right back. Might even go back to just one rod, but jury is still out on that. No livie bucket (anyone want a foldable livebait bucket?). Just sold my tag-it fish bag. No rudder. No anchor (am trying to think of any safety ramifications without an anchor, if I can't think of any my cooper anchor will be up for sale soon). Am still tossing up if the drogue should stay or go. Am leaning towards ditching it.

Tried crushing the barbs but my legs still don't appreciate so many pointy bits when a fish is bouncing around like a lunatic. Have just ordered a few inline singles, will crush the barbs and see what the hook-up rate is like and if the action is the same.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Drifting off course a little now... I'd keep the drogue if venturing offshore. If you need someone to come and look for you, it helps keep the search area small (relatively speaking).
I haven't used a bottom anchor for over 10 years, but then I don't fish wicked harbour currents.

Cut the whole unwanted piece of the treble off, hard against the shank, then file smooth. I normally cut the two that sit alongside the body, leaving the single sticky-out one. You may have to flip the hook depending on the eye alignment. Some lures may not like a single and go berko on their action - have to try and see.

...How you planning on keeping the catch cool, now you sold your bag? Curious.

kingiFiddler

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks for that. If heading out before the singles get here then will clip a few legs off the trebles.
Thanks for the drogue thought about smaller search area. Good idea.

Was thinking of making a cover for where the fish bag used to sit. at least get the sun off it. Might throw in a few ice packs if that's not enough. Stringing them overboard feels like it's turning the yak into a floating sharkbait.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:26 am

Still have warm air under the well though which'll kill the cold very quickly, and tasty juices dribbling out through the scuppers.
Now, if you lined the well with tinfoil... :lol:

MikeAqua
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:47 pm
My PFD carries a whistle, rescue knife, VHF, PLB and occasionally a camera in the pocket. Never anything else.
Ditto, plus an asthma inhaler (and a torch if it's dark).
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

kingiFiddler

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:26 am
Still have warm air under the well though which'll kill the cold very quickly, and tasty juices dribbling out through the scuppers.
Now, if you lined the well with tinfoil... :lol:
Wet towel over the fish?
One of those large ziploc foil bags?
I dunno. the experimenting will continue...

• Information