KFNZ Gear Library - all welcome

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:21 pm

This is a collection of gear donated to the library for members to try for free and for all of us to learn what works, what doesn't, where and why. Hopefully testing out gear to be sure it's suitable before we part with our own money to buy, or time to make, it ourselves. I've run this passed the KFNZ site owner - Mental, and have his blessing to get the party started.

The collection is donated, with the hope others will throw some gear in too for KFNZ members to use as time goes by.

If you have anything to donate, please just post the info and hopefully someone is keen to try it.

If you see anything in the library you'd like to try out just private message your interest and address to the current user, and perhaps post a message in this thread so we all know who is next in line. The current user then has, lets say two weeks(?) to send it, at their cost, to you. If nobody else subsequently expresses an interest in it, then you get to use it indefinitely. Otherwise you undertake to send it onto the next person at your cost.

To kick this off, I have stitched together a deal with an Australian luremaker; Mal, from Mal's Maulers. He makes small, hand-painted, diving (bibbed) hardbody lures and is keen to see how NZ yak fishos get on with his lures. Mal has been a great help to get this off the ground and I have the lures here to donate to the library.

I'll detail the lures in the library in another post.

Also, I'm donating a Greenland paddle to the library and that too will be in a separate post.

Keen to hear suggestions about how to make this a worthwhile initiative. One concern I have is if anyone is worried about giving out their address to strangers and if so how we can get around that.
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kingiFiddler

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks to Mal at Mal's Maulers, I've a collection of his hand-painted wee diving (bibbed) lures for the library.

Three styles, which float which is great over foul ground/weeds, and all with small VMC trebles:
  • Mini-Mauler 2m+ is a 55mm lure. Tiny but works well with a very tight wobble action and has a fairly large working speed range, including extremely slow speeds.
  • Mauler 1.8m+ is 65mm. I have yet to use these.
  • Mauler 4m+ is 65mm too but with a bigger bib. I have yet to use these also.
I've only had one proper session with one; a Mini-Mauler (Salmon Fry colour). I caught two kahawai and 4 undersized snapper. It was quite remarkable for me who is new to trolling hard-body divers, how well snapper pick up the vibes and will totally smash a lure. The snapper were rising a few meters to hit this lure and it was most productive at an extremely slow speed, falling in and out of the wobbling speed range. I even had one snapper hit the lure floating on the surface a few seconds after I had stopped for some lunch!

I had hoped to get some pictures of really good fish caught with these lures before I donated them so you can see they work, but I'm confident enough they work for us in yaks. I still can't get over how slow a speed they work at. Could troll all day if you wanted to.

The race will be on amongst us all to see if these lures survive a close encounter with a big snapper or kingi. I suspect the lures won't handle it but hopefully I'm wrong.

One thing I do plan to try is connecting a slug-go to the back of one of these lures. If the lure still vibrates, then have the vibes plus the irresistible slinkyness (is that a word?) of the slug-go and hopefully something big hits it.

Photos of the lures to donate to the library should be attached to this post (or the next one if the site can't handle all photos in one post). You'll see one now has a few teeth marks :-).

There is no distributor in NZ for these lures. So if anyone wants to buy any they can contact Mal directly on his facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/Malsmaulers/

If anyone is keen to try any, just let me know which and I'll send them out. It would be great if we can get these out to many people and learn how they go and which are the most productive colours, styles, ways to fish them. Also, I hope to see some carnage pics of the lures utterly hammered by 'something big' ;-)
Attachments
mauler4-bleedingMullet.jpg
mauler4-bleedingMullet.jpg (47.5 KiB) Viewed 514 times
mauler4-goldenBoy.jpg
mauler4-goldenBoy.jpg (44.54 KiB) Viewed 514 times
mauler4-jackSnack.jpg
mauler4-jackSnack.jpg (48.93 KiB) Viewed 514 times
mauler4-lemonScale.jpg
mauler4-lemonScale.jpg (42.44 KiB) Viewed 514 times
mauler4-pinky.jpg
mauler4-pinky.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 514 times
mauler4-redHead.jpg
mauler4-redHead.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 514 times
mauler4-trueBlue.jpg
mauler4-trueBlue.jpg (43.67 KiB) Viewed 514 times
mauler18-greenTiger.jpg
mauler18-greenTiger.jpg (40.58 KiB) Viewed 514 times
mauler18-tiger.jpg
mauler18-tiger.jpg (44.71 KiB) Viewed 514 times
miniMauler-bleedingMullet.jpg
miniMauler-bleedingMullet.jpg (50.72 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingiFiddler

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Here are the others that wouldn't fit into the previous post.
Attachments
miniMauler-gunsNRoses.jpg
miniMauler-gunsNRoses.jpg (49.26 KiB) Viewed 514 times
miniMauler-redHead.jpg
miniMauler-redHead.jpg (39.55 KiB) Viewed 514 times
miniMauler-salmonFry.jpg
miniMauler-salmonFry.jpg (54.83 KiB) Viewed 514 times
miniMauler-trueBlue.jpg
miniMauler-trueBlue.jpg (47.19 KiB) Viewed 514 times
mauler18-pinky.jpg
mauler18-pinky.jpg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

kingiFiddler

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:56 pm

If anyone is curious to try a Greenland paddle, I'm donating to the library one I made recently. It paddles OK, is smooth, but please note I'm a newbie to making paddles and it's not perfect or optimised in any way. That said, it's my best one yet and should give you an idea of what the whole GP thing is all about. Then when you are ready to ditch the euro paddle like most of us who have tried GP's have done, you'll be keen to make your own or perhaps HLD or some other reputable paddle-maker would be keen to make you one.

The paddle for the library is GP2.1.

I posted pictures of GP2 in this thread:
http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 83#p242383

A picture is attached to this post also. It's the darker one on the left. All I've done since those pics is slim the edges down a bit (hence the 2.1).

It's not a finely polished shelf queen. It is made to be used and is a bit rough around the edges. If it breaks, it breaks. No worries. But should give you an idea of GP's in general, compared to euros.
Attachments
GP23Full.jpg
GP23Full.jpg (65.36 KiB) Viewed 496 times

UrbanAngler
Kayak Make: VIking
Kayak Model: ProFish 440

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 am

This is a good initiative.

Can we setup a ground rules, what will happen if someone snagged and lost the lure? It's important to set this rule upfront so you know what to expect :)

kingiFiddler

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 am

Thanks. Hopefully it's a way for us to learn from the experiences and reviews of others who use the library gear, or we can have a crack at it ourselves, before we fill our tackle boxes with useless trinkets or shelve various dust collectors because they didn't work as well as we hoped, etc.

How about we spell out anyone donating anything has to be prepared for it to be lost/stolen/snagged/broken etc. Once donated to the library they don't own it any more, the collective has it then. There is zero liability on the part of the donor or site for any use or misuse of any gear. Likewise, the site and owners deny any liability for the arrangements made between members and anyone who donates gear, and the manufacturers and donors have to accept the site is not responsible for the reviews or views expressed by site members.

If someone takes the GP out for a paddle, it breaks and they drift to Oz, that's their problem, not mine. If they think the paddle sucks and writes so, great, there's nothing wrong with honest feedback.

If someone with or without an axe to grind uses a lure and writes a damning review back here, the lure-maker will have to suck it up.

If anyone loses a good lure we'll all have to take them at their word. If they happen to lose two on separate occasions, then things could get interesting. The trouble with a trust system is it's open to abuse. But in the short time I've been a member here I've only noticed good buggers, so perhaps we'll get lucky.

Could get interesting if a brand new member is requesting an item from the library before any other member has interacted with them and can vouch for 'em.

I dunno. I just thought I'll throw these lures and the GP at the wall and see what sticks :-)

I thought the biggest issue was people giving their addy to strangers. I have the lures and the GP so I could be an axe murderer for all people know. Cue evil laugh.

• Information