Speed bumps are fighting back

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:13 am

Short choppy paddle yesterday arvo out the Mangawhai Estuary. As is typical these days, boats coming in/out either have no idea of or simply don't give a rats for, the rules. Not even some of the charter skippers that frequent these waters seem to care either.

Yesterday however, the guy paddling out a few hundred meters ahead of me had clearly reached his idiot quota for the day and had a go at yet another idiot skipper travelling over 5 knots within 200m of shore and too fast within 50m of another water user. He paddled over to the boat and spelled out the rules in no uncertain terms. The skipper, rather than own his lawbreaking, wanted to argue the point when he simply had no wriggle room.

There is only one reason these idjits keep doing it. I mean, EVERY SINGLE TIME I paddle out the heads while there are boats around I witness by far the vast majority (not minority) of skippers break the rules. They do it because they keep getting away with it. In the past, the harbour warden was quoted as warning water users he was going to stop giving out warnings and start handing out more fines. Clearly, he was talking out another orifice because even regular boaties I see out there all the time are still breaking the law.

If these harbour wardens would do their mo-fo jobs, it might just stop a paddler or two scrambling aboard a boat and beating the belligerence out of the skipper. Because unless the law is enforced, violence is the next logical step. Or do we have to wait for a paddler, surfer, swimmer to be killed before they take the issue seriously?

The yellow circle(ish) is approximately 200m from shore. The red dot is where most of the incoming boats finally slow to under 5 knots. At any time, before then there could be swimmers crossing the estuary (very hard to see just a head bobbing in the water at times), surfers paddling to/from the bar, all sorts of paddlers. All within the 200m zone.
m.jpg
m.jpg (19.25 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
I had to laugh at how absurd the situation was a few weeks back when I clapped and thanked a skipper as he crawled passed me. He being the only one I witnessed that day who didn't break the rules.
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 am

You're on your own out there. There are no sea police, Maritime NZ only have a retrospective interest in incidents, the Coastguard is a voluntary rescue organisation and has no power and the harbour masters are only interested in harbour activities, and I have seen no evidence of them actually doing anything despite spending a lot of time on the water. Stay as safe as you can and good luck!

kingiFiddler

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:42 am

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
You're on your own out there. There are no sea police, Maritime NZ only have a retrospective interest in incidents, the Coastguard is a voluntary rescue organisation and has no power and the harbour masters are only interested in harbour activities, and I have seen no evidence of them actually doing anything despite spending a lot of time on the water. Stay as safe as you can and good luck!
Yep, treat everyone as an idiot that's out to get you, and assume nobody is going to save you if you can't avoid catastrophe yourself or save yourself. But tell that to the kid swimming across the estuary who can't get out of the way fast enough and gets mowed down. Or that kid's parents. It's only a matter of time before there is a very bad accident.

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 pm

"Or do we have to wait for a paddler, surfer, swimmer to be killed before they take the issue seriously?"

Sadly, that's what it'll take.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:13 pm

I hear ya.

If my in-laws didn't live in Mangawhai I wouldn't bother going to that s#*thole. The town is a bore and the locals don't seem too bright. The restaurant service is piss poor. The local farmer's markets sell lots of hippy crap, and boating (or kayaking) in the Mangawhai estuary is dicing with death. I fished in the estuary last year and I definitely won't be going there again!

Have you tried crossing over the hills to Langs beach?
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Come to Auckland and have a fish at Narrow Neck.

People actually wave and smile as they fly past at full throttle within 25m.

No one knows the rules, no one enforces the rules, no one gives a shit.

kingiFiddler

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:48 pm

LOL.

I don't have to go to Auckland. Half of Auckland comes to Mangawhai every weekend in Summer, and it's not the good half. You should witness the writhing, tangled mass of egos on the boat ramp on any Summer or holiday Saturday morning. It's a fascinating study in human behaviour, for sure.

Was fighting a PB (at the time, and from the yak) Kahawai this Summer while boats fizzed passed, crews yahooing at me holding a rod with quite some curve in it. Funny how they could see a bent rod but not the 4" of freeboard that was about to be swallowed by their wake.

It's not like the KDC up here is flush for cash (don't start me on the muppet council collective that have treated ratepayers like 'shrooms). They would make good money hiring a sunbather to point a camera at the boats breaking the law, if the harbour wardens are too busy kissing the backsides of the usual suspects to do their jobs.
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingiFiddler

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Schecter wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:13 pm
I hear ya.

If my in-laws didn't live in Mangawhai I wouldn't bother going to that s#*thole. The town is a bore and the locals don't seem too bright. The restaurant service is piss poor. The local farmer's markets sell lots of hippy crap, and boating (or kayaking) in the Mangawhai estuary is dicing with death. I fished in the estuary last year and I definitely won't be going there again!

Have you tried crossing over the hills to Langs beach?
I agree with everything but the locals being dim. Of those who appear that way, they are generally intelligent but that is masked by a high-level, borderline pathological, lack of give-a-shite.
Yes, have hit Langs a few times and paddled there from Mangawhai. Some nice terrain between also. As well as a few good spots South.
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:13 pm

It is unfortunate, but we are the cyclist of the ocean. More vulnerable and always going to lose the fight if we play chicken with the motorists.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:31 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:

:y: :y: Says it all really

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Photos, hold up a camera, even if it's a $2 dud from the op shop that used to use film, remember film?

When they think their photo is being taken, their attitude could change.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Hairy Little Dwarf

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:05 pm

Marc N wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:53 pm
When they think their photo is being taken, their attitude could change.
DOES change.

I have cautiously watched many a gas glider bow approach me for over a km, but as soon as I slip the [occasionally empty] GoPro housing onto the head and stare in their direction, the throttle comes off and they veer away.
To be honest - at that distance, a piece of 2"x3" plywood painted yellow and held as if a camera in their direction would likely have an effect.

The best reaction I've had though, was when I was in the SiK.
Gin palace cruised past at a gentle 30kts about 20m off my side. I shouted fake distress, went all wibbly-wobbly - rolled, and just hung there, rolling just enough to get another lungful as needed.

I heard the engines cut right back to idle, and as I snatched each breath I could hear excited shouts on board. So hard to hold your breath when you're grinning.

They were maybe 15m away on their concerned detour back to me, as I slowly rolled back up and gave them a full broadside (having had a couple of minutes to plan my monologue whilst submerged)
The blondes on the front were fair giving their partners brain damage about almost drowning me.
They were still shouting at each other as they motored away at a suitably reprimanded 4-5kts.

Wasn't long before the twins were opened up again though and the testosterone-fueled Mercs were back on the plane.

Bottom line is, if I can fire a jighead through your wheel-house - you're too close.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

kingiFiddler

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:00 pm

Hahahaha. Nice work HLD. :y:

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:48 pm

I was out on a charter when the skipper fired a 2oz ball sinker and pillie covered straight at a launch that swung in too close! Line wrapped around the flying bridge hand railing and broke off with said pillie dangling from it. Big puff of black exhaust and he just motored off . It's not just us sitting solo and low that get buzzed by inconsiderate or equally as ignorant gas jockeys.

Glass is Class.. dedant

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:24 pm

A decade or so back, paddling back to Havelock, out of the channel close to the madflats, a fizz boat coming my way veered towards me and "buzzed" me. Just after that a large (70'?) launch came past in the same direction I was going (von Kohorn's motor-yacht). He crawled past, well clear, barely doing 5 knots and once well clear ahead resumed normal speed.

Later while paddling through the marina I knocked on his hull and thanked him for his consideration. His wife said they tended to get buzzed while at anchor and knew how annoying that was. So there are (were, died 2011) some considerate professional mariners out there.

However - a year later we (2 of us) were approaching a point, paddling down the Pelorus Sound, passing 2 launches anchored fairly close to each other and fishing when 2 powerboats came round the point and between us all - at high speed - stupidity as anything going the opposite way could have had an "interesting" result plus the closeness of their passing us all.

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:48 am

For newer members: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18754&hilit=kill

Don't think I'll ever forget that day.

kingiFiddler

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:48 am
For newer members: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18754&hilit=kill

Don't think I'll ever forget that day.
Wow!
If you had seen it coming you could have fired flares right at it, erected a neon sign and sounded a fog horn and it probably wouldn't have made a lick'n difference to that boat. A pity idiots like that get away with it too often.

Did anything come of it? In that thread it was asked if a PAN PAN call would have been worthwhile? Perhaps to alert others (you said it was a busy day)in the area, of your location, a brief boat description and direction of travel? there might be a few other skippers that could figure out which boat it was. It could so easily have ended in your death. Shit like that needs to stop, somehow. But how?

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 am

I spoke to the Coastguard who said they would talk to the game fishing club in an informal manner. Haven't heard anything since then. I know you know this, but being low to the water and slow moving makes kayaks very vulnerable to such incidents.

If you see a jet ski out on the water in the Whangarei area giving you a wide berth, or slowing down to within actual speed limits, that'll be me :inlove:

kingiFiddler

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Onya

:y:

Peace
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: SOT Fishing Pro
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5048

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:54 am

https://www.facebook.com/kayakcrazy/vid ... 948301110/