Marine radios.

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
andrewhenare
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: torque

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Hello everyone, Ive been given the hard word and told that if I keep going out yaking I need a eperb or radio. Thought that the marine radio, waterproof and 3 to 5 watts. Any thoughts on this. 5 watt units seem to be a little stronger and better coverage. Floating is imperitive.
I welcome any comments regarding this topic, many thanks,Andrew :beer:

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:38 pm

I would say 5w (1w isn't a lot of punch really), and don't worry about floaters - should ideally be tethered to the PFD.

As far as brands and models, everyone has their love/hate stories. Accordingly, I'm not going to mention any names other than Icom is probably at the top of the heap, but you pay a premium for an 'industrial' grade product.

Some keep their radio in a PFD pocket, others on a shoulder strap. So size needs to be a consideration.

Other than that, take your pick really. Big screens and numbers are nice to have.

Consider a Coastguard VHF course (about $40 dollars from memory). While you don't need a cert if you're only going to broadcast in an emergency, it's good to know the protocol rather than repeating "Help!" over and over :lol:

I would definitely put a VHF above a PLB for what you want to do. (plus you also get nowcasting and can listen to visiting yachties clogging the airwaves dribbling endlessly about where the nearest laundramat or restaurant is :@ - or is that just a Bay of Islands thing?)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

andrewhenare
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: torque

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:13 pm

Cool. Many thanks for your prompt reply :n:

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:08 am

I would say take both. Absolutely get a VHF first because that allows detailed and specific communication.

Later on consider buying an EPRIB will allow you to signal distress if you can't raise anyone via VHF.

VHFs don't need to float if they are tethered to your PFD. But if they are self floating, then you know they aren't reducing your overall buoyancy. I'm not sure it really matters ...
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information