Yaks for young teens: Mission Catch 290 vs something more 'serious'?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
jeffreyweir

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:50 am

So far I've picked up a used Mission Catch 390, and am now looking at a couple of Viking Espris on TM. The one thing that worries me is that my son is only 11, with no experience on a yak, just like me. So I'm wondering if at this age it's best to just get a Viking 2+1 with a couple of rod holders so that I can go out with him in the same boat...with a mind on helping him with the fishing aspect of things, and then when he's gained some skills he can try the 390 alone, and ultimately I can sell the 2 + 1 and replace with an Espri for him or similar.

I understand the 2+1 won't be a heck of a lot of fun to paddle by myself if we both go out, but at this stage if I'm with him we won't be going far. In fact our first expedition is going to be up Bland Bay way in the far north, with plenty of sheltered water around.

There's a couple on TM in both Tauranga (where we head first) and Northland (where we will hit the water) that we could simply pick up on the way. e.g. https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kayaks ... 6b230d8c60

I also have a Ocean Kayak Scrambler that I could simply throw a rod holder on, enough to get him started. But I don't know how stable that would be (although again we won't be pushing things initially), and I'd prefer something with grab lines to help him get back on when he inevitably capsizes.

Anyone have any comments on my logic here?

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:30 am

Personally I would just go with him in separate yaks. He will learn more, faster in his own yak. Take a tow line in case you need it.

Start off in very sheltered water, have him practice wet entries and venture further afield as his competence and confidence builds.

That's what I did with my lot from about 9 yeas old with the Espri.

We had a 2+1 and it was a bit of a plough, even with me (122kg at the time) paddling it alone.

If you want a tandem maybe try and find a tempo 2?
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

jeffreyweir

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks Mike. Do you think a mere Scrambler will suffice for him initially? Or shall I bite the bullet, grab him a used Espri, and sell the Scrambler?

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:37 pm

when my boy started out wanting to come out with me i used to sit him in the back of my elite 4.5 which worked fine as he wasnt that big. when he started to get bigger i got a second hand scupper pro initially it was a bit much for him to handle for extended periods of time (approx4.5m long ) so i just took a tow rope. as he got bigger he used me as a tow wagon less and less until he now goes out on his own.
get him his own and let him grow into it. just be prepared to tow him a bit :D
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:48 pm

jeffreyweir wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:16 am
Thanks Mike. Do you think a mere Scrambler will suffice for him initially? Or shall I bite the bullet, grab him a used Espri, and sell the Scrambler?
I've never been in scrambler so I can't comment. Suggest a search on here and see who has used them as fishing kayaks. Paul in NZ used to use one off the Kapiti coast - maybe search a few of his threads? [Edit: I think Paul had a Scrambler XT. The Scrambler 11 is a stretched version of the Frenzy. I have paddled a Frenzy and I thought it was horrid kayak, not stable at all.]

I have owned an Espri and they are a very, very capable yak. They are very stable and paddle very efficiently with light paddler.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information