Yaks for young teens: Mission Catch 290 vs something more 'serious'?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
jeffreyweir

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:54 am

Hi folks. Complete greenhorn here, looking to buy a couple of fun yaks suitable for teenagers to mainly have a blast in, that also have somewhere to stick a rod. We're likely to be 'social' fishers....so not looking for something 'serious' - but do want the option to chuck a hook over the side when we're on holiday a couple of times a year.

I quite like the look of the Mission Catch 290 for this purpose, and at $900 each the price is about right. Anyone got an opinion on whether we're better to grab something like this, or better to get something a little more fishing-centric that will also be good for young teens?

We could pick up a couple of used Viking Espris instead I guess for around $600 each...but they look a bit heavier and not as much use for kids wanting to play in the surf.

There's a bundle of viking yaks at the below link, and I'd probably resell the 2 + 1 if I was to get it:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 1474095572

Note that I'm in Welly, but I've got a friend who lives up Tauranga who could pick the above up for me, if I went for them.

Smeg
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2462

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Those TM yaks look pretty good entry level boats for your purposes - you've no rudder - if that's something you want - but something that won't break if used in the surf. I might be keen on the double yak - should you get these?
PB# 57cm Snapper
PB# 54cm Trevally
PB# 59cm Kahawai
PB# 51cm John Dory

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler

Ranson_3dm
Kayak Make: VIKING
Kayak Model: ESPRI

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:59 am

Torpedo 7 has 3.7 meter yaks on sale at moment for 700, good kayak with fishing capabilities also

jeffreyweir

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks folks. I quite like the fact that the Mission Catch 290 had handles molded in, meaning a) something less to break as my teenagers give things less care than I would and b) very easy to thread a chain through them and secure them to some handy tree on the beach. And also I thought they might enjoy the lighter Missions in the waves, compared to the Vikings. That said, Viking would no doubt be a better platform for doing more fishing from...which probably appeals to me more than my wife and kids.

Torpedo7 have 43% off on their Cruise single kayak, bringing them down to a mere $400 each. But that's so cheap that I'm apprehensive about their long term durability: https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7K ... ngle-kayak

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Blantant plug for one of KFNZ's sponsors but have you had a look at the NZ made Phantom from Phoenix kayaks? http://www.phoenixkayaks.com/product/phantom/

Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

jeffreyweir

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:05 pm

I hadn't heard of it. I'll check it out. I was hoping to get something made locally, to support NZ inc. But I'm open.

I've also got some Q-Kayaks on my TM watchlist: an Escapee and an Escapade.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kayaks ... 649670.htm
https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kayaks ... 649647.htm

...but again, I don't know enough about yaks to weigh up pros and cons at this stage. I was sticking to names I'd heard of or come up with "you can't go past an X kayak" on forums such as this one...so was considering Viking, Ocean Kayaks, Mission among others.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Ranson_3dm wrote:
Torpedo 7 has 3.7 meter yaks on sale at moment for 700, good kayak with fishing capabilities also
The 'fishing' kayaks I saw at Nelson Torpedo 7, had holes cut in the deck with loosely fitting cover caps as 'rod-holders'. Looked like lot's of potential for water ingress IMO.

If the OP is looking for a step-up from a basic yak, the Viking Espri is a capable, safe and reasonably economical option.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:13 pm

jeffreyweir wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:05 pm
I hadn't heard of it. I'll check it out. I was hoping to get something made locally, to support NZ inc.
I think you'll find Phoenix kayaks are NZ designed and made.

Epicskwid down in the Hawkes Bay used to fish out of a Mission 290, maybe PM him for an opinion.

I can't help you myself - I've only ever paddled and fished from my 4.3m Ocean Kayak
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

Ranson_3dm

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:41 pm

MikeAqua wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:14 pm
Ranson_3dm wrote:
The 'fishing' kayaks I saw at Nelson Torpedo 7, had holes cut in the deck with loosely fitting cover caps as 'rod-holders'. Looked like lot's of potential for water ingress IMO.

If the OP is looking for a step-up from a basic yak, the Viking Espri is a capable, safe and reasonably economical option.

My brother in law has one from torpedo 7 and they are great kayak, water tight and stable and when you compare dollar for dollar value I would buy one next time.

I have a native watercraft redfish 12, good kayak and stable but grab a torpedo 7 kayak for cheaper with rudder, more deck space due to greater width you have a good kayak.

Have you been out much this year Mike?

twobarefeet
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3 Ultra

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:16 pm

I would definitely give Pheonix Kayaks a look.

I recently picked up their hornet, really well made. Good quality parts etc. I wouldn't expect anything from their other models. 10 year warranty aswell for peace of mind

MikeAqua

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Ranson_3dm wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:41 pm

My brother in law has one from torpedo 7 and they are great kayak, water tight and stable and when you compare dollar for dollar value I would buy one next time.

I have a native watercraft redfish 12, good kayak and stable but grab a torpedo 7 kayak for cheaper with rudder, more deck space due to greater width you have a good kayak.

Have you been out much this year Mike?
The one I saw in T7's Nelson store is in the photos below. The rod holder is a hole opening directly into the hull. The cap is a poor fit for the hole. I could see a lot of water getting into the hull in some conditions.
20171103_105922.jpg
20171103_105922.jpg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
20171103_105927.jpg
20171103_105927.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
Been a rubbish year for me yakking. We got burgaled in May and the thieves took the kayaks and gear. Insurance payout was slow and low. Finally picked up a new kayak a few weeks back, but then two weeks ago I had surgery to donate a kidney and the Doctors told me I can't go kayaking until after xmas now. Targeting late summer/autumn snapper slaying.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

Mental
Site Admin

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:38 pm

MikeAqua wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:23 pm
The one I saw in T7's Nelson store is in the photos below. The rod holder is a hole opening directly into the hull. The cap is a poor fit for the hole. I could see a lot of water getting into the hull in some conditions
That is absolute GOLD! What you see there is the hard rubber gasket/cap they use with those particular rod holders, they have fitted the gasket and forgotten to install the rod holder!!!!!

BUT

In all seriousness though that kayak has the potential to kill someone, that's an open hole to the hull only just above the waterline meaning any water over the side etc will very quickly fill that kayak with water and make it very unstable and dangerous! That kayak should not be sold to anyone until it's fixed and I'd hope that T7 would check all their other stock before selling too...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:56 pm

That is almost unbelievable that rod holder, that kayak should be pulled from sale and sorted, before some unsuspecting sole buys it and comes to grief :|

Mental
Site Admin

Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 pm

FYI I have been in contact with T7 today too, they are now aware of this thread and the photo and have assured me it will be investigated...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

Ranson_3dm

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:22 am

The kayaks that are sold come from a factory so this one is a shop model, this is not what my bros is like it has the rod holder complete. Amazing kayaks despite this show kayaks missing parts

UrbanAngler
Kayak Make: VIking
Kayak Model: ProFish 440

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 pm

T7 kayak came into my attention after reading this thread, and I dicovered T7 is launching their new pedal powered kayak.

quick glance looks similar with native yak with a very reasonable price tag.

I'm keen to see them myself.

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7K ... -with-seat

Mental
Site Admin

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Update direct from T7 regards the one above missing the rod holder:
Hi Jason, you were right, the kayak on display in our Nelson store is missing its rod holder, which prevents water from seeping in. Our team noticed that it was missing, and for customer safety decided it was best to use it for display purposes only. To avoid any further confusion, we’re going to send Nelson some rod holders to add to their display model – it won’t restore it to a saleable state, but it’ll avoid any further confusion. All others in the same range do come with the rod holders. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention 😊 ^Si
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

Smeg
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2462

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:05 pm

PB# 57cm Snapper
PB# 54cm Trevally
PB# 59cm Kahawai
PB# 51cm John Dory

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler

jeffreyweir

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks all for the insights and options...very very helpful indeed. That Espri's a great deal, but I'd prefer to try to find one closer to home if I can (Wellington).

MikeAqua

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:34 am

Mental wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm
Update direct from T7 regards the one above missing the rod holder:
Hi Jason, you were right, the kayak on display in our Nelson store is missing its rod holder, which prevents water from seeping in. Our team noticed that it was missing, and for customer safety decided it was best to use it for display purposes only. To avoid any further confusion, we’re going to send Nelson some rod holders to add to their display model – it won’t restore it to a saleable state, but it’ll avoid any further confusion. All others in the same range do come with the rod holders. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention 😊 ^Si
Well that is reassuring. I think installing rod holders in the display model is a good move. Well done T7.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

• Information