Sharkskin vs Adrenalin

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Fishfarmer
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Predator

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi all
I am planning ahead for the Wellington winter and think I need some decent warm clothing. At present I use a wetsuit pants and booties, and a cheap jacket.
I was looking at the Adrenalin top (you get one with a zip) and leggings. Each about $70 from Fergs. How do these compare to Sharkskin. Is it worth the extra big dollars?
Cheers
Mark

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:56 pm

I've got a pair of Adrenalin paddle shorts and a full set of Sharkskin so can't really compare like for like but in my opinion you get what you pay for... The Sharkskin is vastly different in it's "technology" BUT is it really needed? I'm up in Auckland so we don't see "real" cold and I think given the mild temps and the rest of the gear I wear on top like water and wind proof paddle pants and top I'm probably not getting the full use from my Sharkskin... Possibly just go with the Adrenalin under good quality paddle gear then if it gets really cold just throw more layers on under your paddle gear if spending up large on the Sharkskin isn't in the budget?
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:00 pm

I will just add when I did my scuba dive ticket last year we went on a training dive in Lake Pupuke in Auckland in the middle of May and I wore my Sharkskin under my wet suit (socks, long pants, and top) and I got out of the water after over an hour and wasn't feeling any cold where as the rest of the class were freezing - except for the instructor in his flash dry suit!
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Mental wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:00 pm
I will just add when I did my scuba dive ticket last year we went on a training dive in Lake Pupuke in Auckland in the middle of May and I wore my Sharkskin under my wet suit (socks, long pants, and top) and I got out of the water after over an hour and wasn't feeling any cold where as the rest of the class were freezing - except for the instructor in his flash dry suit!
Brings back memories... I used to scuba dive in my shorts, up to 22-24 meters - deeper dives I may have considered a wetsuit. Then again these were tropical waters with summer water temps up to 26°C - don't know why people wore hoodies and even dry suits around there!!
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 pm

I have some of each, socks, top, shorts, longs... I don't feel the difference up here in Auckland.

If you're on a budget adrenalin is fine.

• Information