Paddle recommendations

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Rob
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Aqua 2/Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU6741

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:53 am

Hi Mike,

Looking at your handiwork, I would put myself as less accomplished than you... my attempts have resulted in serviceable paddle's.
Works of art that can be sold for $100's?... No.
Ok, given my lack of facilities and tools? Yes
Good enough not to be embarrassed... Yes.
Room for improvement? Absolutely.
Paddles to date: 3

I too tend to muck up cuts using a jigsaw/skil saw, I just leave myself lots of extra space to allow for that. Planing down that excess doesn't add too much time to the process with a wood plane. Apart from having a sharp blade and going with the grain of the wood, there's not to much to go wrong when using it and it only removes a small layer of wood at a time. I use the excellent tutorials online to draw marks on the wood which act as a guide to how much wood is removed.e

Be brave, its only a chunk of wood and, if it all goes wrong, you can burn the evidence!

Mac501, just an observation...
We don't all have your level of skill in this field... clearly your mother was a good woodworker and teacher.
But, because of that, I feel some of your posts demonstrate a lack of empathy and are dismissive/disparaging of others at times.
That is stopping from me viewing your comments as constructive.

Kind Regards
Rob.

xtreamz
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyway.......I have now purchased a paddle thanks to a friend who decided to upgrade his.

Thanks for the useful replies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PB Snapper: 17.6lb/76cm (14/05/2017) | PB Blue Cod 49cm (17/06/2017)| PB Kingfish 76cm | PB Tarakihi 53cm (04/09/2017)| PB Moki 54cm (17/06/2017)

Trident 4.3
Prowler 4.5 (2011-2015)

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Rob wrote:
Hi Mike,

Looking at your handiwork, I would put myself as less accomplished than you... my attempts have resulted in serviceable paddle's.
There you are, someone who has tried and succeeded.
Rob wrote:
Mac501, just an observation...
We don't all have your level of skill in this field...
But, because of that, I feel some of your posts demonstrate a lack of empathy
When someone says they can't do something, and shows it, all because they don't use the right tools for the job, one rolls ones eyes up.

A jigsaw is specifically designed for NOT cutting in a straight line. It would be like Mike saying he can't measure things. Why? Because he uses a rubberband as a ruler.

Yes, you can get a jigsaw to cut in a straight line if you know how but why use a $50-$100 machine for a job that can be done easily and accurately with a $10 tool (a handsaw from Bunnings or Mega10 or even the Warehouse?)

I don't and wouldn't go near a paddle with a jigsaw. Too hard to do the job with.

The link given on how to make a Greenland paddle states/shows a handsaw being used, third picture down.

• Information