Fluoro leader for soft bait

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Bigmac
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite 4.5

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm sure it's been asked before but looking for recommendations for soft bait trace. I've been using shimano ocea flouro 20 pound but I've been let down badly over the last couple of weeks with 4 good fish being dropped when the trace has failed. My knots are still on the line when i wind in, the line has actually broken on the loop/eye of the hook and/or clip. I replace the trace before i head out every trip, and habe had it happen on different brands of hooks/ clips and using different knots. Is it possible I've just got a bad roll of flouro or have others found the same. Planning a trip for the long weekend so would like to sort out my gear before hand. Any recommendations or tips appreciated.

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:35 pm

No problems with Berkley Vanish :y:

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:23 am

Unlikely "A" bad roll, if that was the problem there would be 1000`s of bad rolls about...
What weight jig heads are you using ? if its breaking in the loop of the knot (if I am reading your post properly) maybe the eye of the jig heads are not as finished as they should be... the line too light for the jig heads, maybe the jig heads are getting worked too hard and wearing the Fluoro to the point of weakening it...
Try a different leader and if the sames happening, it got to be in the hardware... I wouldnt be too happy with losing good fish all the time...
I check the leader after every fish caught, and more often than not will retie the leader to jig head, it only takes a moment, its very rare I have gear failure in that area...

eynon
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8769

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:37 am

i use 15lb and 30lb blackmagic. only issue i've had with it was that suffix fuse braid doesnt bite down into it very well with fg knots.

what kind of knots are you using for your jigheads?
ZMU8769 - OK Prowler 4.7

Bigmac

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Generally tying to the Big Red Tackle softbait clips and using OA light bulb jig heads, 3/8 or 1/2oz depending on depth. 3 failures on clips, 1 on jig head itself. When tying the clips I'm using Palomar knot, if direct to jig head then the rapala loop.

awondering

Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:28 pm

I would suggest get rid of the clips mate, they just are not needed at all, contrary to what some may say, the more you add in the more that can go wrong...
Yer yer its quick to change a jig head etc but it only take s moment to tie a good knot ...practice practice and a little more and boom the failures will recede...

Ok the weakest knot that anyone can tie is a basic overhand knot,it has no strength to it at all, so why use a knot that has that element in it ? ditch that knot...

The Palomar knot is a great knot of braid to any hardware, but that's were it ends for that knot, IMO....

Try using a simple uni knot and once tied well it will suit everything you need, IE back to back uni`s for braid to leader connection, to jig heads... keep it simple...

There are dozens of different knots out there that work well, but none will be any help you if they tied poorly, find one that you can tie efficiently and quickly on the water...

OH and the OA jig heads, mind the gap is closed properly on the hook, they are known to fall off :-(

Bigmac

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks Kev, yeah I use the uni when tying straight to a hook, was just under the impression a loop type knot was better for jig heads for movement. Will ditch the clips and go back to uni knot.

eynon
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8769

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:59 pm

you can keep a loop with a uni knot by tightening with your fingers pinching the line or with something inserted in there but the uni will close up if you hook anything.
ZMU8769 - OK Prowler 4.7

TBreezy

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:00 pm

I use Black Magic Wasabi 15lb for leader. Uni knot to a clip in using SB or straight to a hook if straylining. Have caught some nice sized fish on this setup and haven't found the need to go up in size as of yet, even off the rocks. The knot has never failed and in a year can count bust-offs on one hand.

Really, all this shows is that I am not catching enough large fish, but I hope that's helpful!

yak64
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi Kev
Try using a simple uni knot and once tied well it will suit everything you need, IE back to back uni`s for braid to leader connection, to jig heads... keep it simple...
Hows this compare to the FG knot? I find this a great knot on land and use it when attaching braid to mono or fluro... but still find it hard to tie the FG in the confines of a kayak.

Cheers Bruce

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:44 pm

I use 15lb Ocean Angler Fluoro and have caught snapper up to 14lbs on it. I noticed it was even thinner than the equivalent Black Magic fluoro.

I use a lefty’s loop to the jig head and an FG at the other end. I didn’t like the back-to-back uni because it leaves the tag end perpendicular (90 degrees) to the braid, which catches on the guides as it goes through. My back up to the FG is the improved Albright as demonstrated by Paul Senior on YouTube. I have been known to use genie style clips from time to time too, but more rarely now.

Definitely need to check the loop is closed on the eye of the jig head or clip. Give it a squeeze with your pliers if you aren’t sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

awondering

Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Bigmac wrote:Thanks Kev, yeah I use the uni when tying straight to a hook, was just under the impression a loop type knot was better for jig heads for movement. Will ditch the clips and go back to uni knot.
You can still tie a Uni knot without losing the loop... And yes you are correct to keep the loop, but bear in mind the line will wear quicker because if the constant movement...

Sent from my M5s using Tapatalk

awondering

Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:04 pm

yak64 wrote:Hi Kev
Hows this compare to the FG knot? I find this a great knot on land and use it when attaching braid to mono or fluro... but still find it hard to tie the FG in the confines of a kayak.

Cheers Bruce
Both are good knots, I use both, but find the fg quicker to do off the water mate

Last edited by awondering on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awondering

Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Casualtyward wrote:I use 15lb Ocean Angler Fluoro and have caught snapper up to 14lbs on it. I noticed it was even thinner than the equivalent Black Magic fluoro.

I use a lefty’s loop to the jig head and an FG at the other end. I didn’t like the back-to-back uni because it leaves the tag end perpendicular (90 degrees) to the braid, which catches on the guides as it goes through. My back up to the FG is the improved Albright as demonstrated by Paul Senior on YouTube. I have been known to use genie style clips from time to time too, but more rarely now.

Definitely need to check the loop is closed on the eye of the jig head or clip. Give it a squeeze with your pliers if you aren’t sure.

Tied and trim tight, its not a problem at all... It's backing yourself to trim it hard into the knot, so needs to be pulled up nice and tight first...

SteaknBeer

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:46 am

Don’t forget that leaving leaders and braid in the sun after fishing will greatly weaken it to easily snap I know this may not have been done but I’m just putting all options on the table

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 am

I agree less is more and from a minimalist perspective, clips should be eliminated where possible.

That said I use clips for convenience ... :)

If you are looking to use a clip consider Mustad's fastach clips. I use fastach swivel clips on all my rigs - trolling, running rigs, dropper rigs, micro jigs. I'm not a big soft-baiter. They are small for their rating, easy (once you get used to the, secure and do not fail (in my experience).

I've caught large kahawai, small kingfish, very large barracoutta, snapper, large blue cod and a good sized thresher shark and never had a clip failure.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Nemesis
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 pm

MikeAqua wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 am

If you are looking to use a clip consider Mustad's fastach clips. I use fastach swivel clips on all my rigs - trolling, running rigs, dropper rigs, micro jigs. I'm not a big soft-baiter. They are small for their rating, easy (once you get used to the, secure and do not fail (in my experience).

I've caught large kahawai, small kingfish, very large barracoutta, snapper, large blue cod and a good sized thresher shark and never had a clip failure.
I agree, rate them as solid and reliable, and hard to go past. I use them for softbaiting and slowjigging. Trolling, I still run a small game clip...
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:44 am

I was always meh! about clips. More crap on the line that you don't need, but then I got in to slow jigging in it's various forms and regularly change style/colour/weight, so see the benefit and use them all the time now. I prefer to keep my soft baiting pure though :)

Windcaller
Kayak Model: Profish

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:04 pm

My go-to leader for softbaiting is 12lb Shimano Ocea Fluoro and it has never let me down with random breakages or knot failures. For heavier breaking strains I use Stren Coral Pink or YoZuri which are both super reliable but a tad stiffer than the Ocea imho, but choice is often a very personal preference.
Regarding connectors, I tend avoid them when softbaiting and use a Lefty's knot which is re-tied after each session with a loop size of no more than one centimetre which prevents it slipping over the head or hook of the jig head. I do use clips when fishing micro and slow jigs due to the need for frequent lure changes and, like MikeAqua, the Mustad Fastach are my favourite. However I only use the clip part and snip off the swivel which leaves a very minimal, neat and secure connector which also work very well with jigheads too. Try it! :y:

• Information