buying fish finder/ chartplottrt from Ebay

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Rastayaka
Kayak Make: ocean river
Kayak Model: Harmony
VHF Call Sign: n/a

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 am

Hey guys,
Ive noticed that some of the fish finders on ebay are considerably cheaper then the same model is here in NZ, yes I have taken tax's into account and that they may not be covered by a warranty here. Just wondering if anyone here has ever ordered one from Ebay or overseas online and if so is there anything that should stop me from considering doing so?

regards

Ed

eynon
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8769

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:57 am

make sure the seller has good feedback.
ZMU8769 - OK Prowler 4.7

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:53 am

Yep got one online, no issues at all, being from the US it was in feet and mph, but I knew that beforehand ...

Nemesis
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Just be aware that almost all chartplotters are now "geolocked" so won't work outside of region of purchase.
You can buy an unlock key, but it will cost almost as much as the unit itself.
For a FF, that's not applicable.
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.

dedant
Kayak Make: Jackson Kayaks
Kayak Model: Kraken
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Personally I will buy from a local retailer when I can. Shop around for a bargin , money is finite after all. I feel I've wasted much of their time when I go in and talk the ears off the sales staff and walk out without spending anything so I kinda owe them anyway :D
Warranty returns, backup info, and future trade-ins/upgrades are all better in a face to face walk in shop , and its fellow kiwis trying to make a living too that miss out with overseas mail order purchases.
I'm a little biased after the family dive shop went tits up many years ago .
Enjoy your shopping :)

Jackson KRAKEN dedant

Achilles
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMX2317

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:16 pm

I bought a fish finder/chart plotter from Viking at the start of the year. I didn't actually consider buying off shore (I guess because I was too chicken about warranties/local compatibility etc), but I got pretty close to buying from Burnsco or one of the other marine supply companies. In the end, I got some really good advice over the phone at Viking, and then decided to get them to install it for me as well. So the difference in price between finding the cheapest version I could, and installing it myself compared to paying full price plus installation was probably reasonably significant.......but was it worth it? Hell yeah, I reckon. The time spent on the phone talking to Stephen, plus the hour or so during the installation was absolute gold. Plus the confidence knowing I had the right product for what I want to do, and really good first hand knowledge on how to maintain it, and use it to really get the full value....it was awesome. Really positive sales experience! Maybe it would be different if I wasn't so new to kayak fishing, and still really hungry for knowledge........I still really like the idea of buying from people who understand the product and what we as Kayak Fishers do though. Cheers.
Achilles

ZMX 2317

Viking Reload

woodstock
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:57 am

Check the chart that comes with unit you will find you will have to buy a nz chart . Warranty would be a hassle much easy deal with local store if anything goes wrong

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:33 am

I've purchased both overseas and locally over the years, as long as you go in with your eyes open then yes you can save money importing yourself but as others have said normally they the geo locked to the local measurement system , i.e. US models are locked to feet and fahrenheit and you can kiss goodbye any warranty... but in saying that it doesn't take long to get used to 100 feet being 30 meters ish and the temp doesn't really play that much part in hunting down panny snapper, and with the warranty as long as you know and saved enough on the importation then you have to take that risk.

If you are risk adverse, want proper metric readings, good local warranty support then buying local is the way to go every time :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Rastayaka
Kayak Make: ocean river
Kayak Model: Harmony
VHF Call Sign: n/a

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, Will take all that you have said into consideration and most likely make a impulse decision when I see a local one on sale. I dont mind taking a risk but I feel even if the finder i am looking at is half the price overseas then it is here its still a lot to potentially lose if something goes wrong. Cheers

Ed

• Information