Long weekend in Northland - where would you choose?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Bigfella3
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: VMU4327

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Thinking of a weekend away with family in a kayak fishing friendly spot in Northland sometime in the next few weeks weather dependent. At the moment I have Bland Bay, Oakura or Whananaki on my mind.
Which would you recommend, ideally looking for a beachfront bach off book-a-bach or similar.
Cheers in advance for recommendations. :clap: :y:

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:04 pm

I like the Karikari Peninsular, gives the option of Doubtless Bay or the Rangaunu Harbour. We've stayed in a couple of baches near the campground on the Doubtless side.

Stayed at Taipa once too and really enjoyed it.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

TBreezy

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:37 pm

I fished at Bland Bay once and did pretty good. With Whananaki, if there's any swell it could get tricky, but Bland Bay is somewhat sheltered (behind those islands), and you have the Whangaruru harbour a couple hundred metres away too which could offer some calmer seas if there's any swell running. The drive to Russell/BOI isn't too bad from Bland Bay either. Basically, you have options. Oakura is similar in that it's on the other side of Whangaruru harbour so you have a few options there also, but it's a bit further to Russell if you wanted to head over that way for a paddle.

Good luck!

• Information