Chinese reels - Opinions? Experiences?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Snow Goose
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW3599

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:12 am

Thinking about buying a new 4000 size reel sometime in the future, and there are a lot of chinese offerings from companies such as Seaknight, Kastking, etc. claiming that they are "waterproof" and "corrosion proof", etc. Of course, the prices seem quite attractive compared to the usual top brand names we can buy locally. Does anyone have any experience with such products that they want to share?
Snow Goose
Viking Profish Reload
ZMW3599

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:30 am

I picked up a couple of "Sharp Cat" baitcasters a couple of years ago for my Loan-Out rods. Didn't expect too much from them, but genuinely surprised at their performance and longevity.
Started using one of them in my kit fairly regularly.
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Nemesis
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:30 am

It's very much a case of you get what you pay for, less any local support in terms of parts and service.
One of the things going for any of the locally distributed brands is that they do have excellent back up, parts and service available for when things wear out, as well as testing products for local conditions.
A lot of the chinese reels are copies of what's in the market with some pretty extraordinary claims as to quality, bearings, drag, etc.
And usually they are nowhere near close to specification.
For a start I'd be pretty suspicious of any reel claiming to be waterproof or corrosion proof, currently on the NZ market there is only one reel with an IPX rating (Penn Slammer III with IPX 6), and several others with claims of varying degrees of water ingress resistance (Shimano Saragosa, Okuma Makaira Spin), and there are no reels that claim to be corrosion proof.
Lastly, while all the common spin reels we see in NZ are sourced from production runs for a larger global market, all of the local distributors and companies make certain that the reels are suitable for NZ conditions, and will often have applied feedback to the brand as to issues and shortcoming, and positives as well.

My two cents worth, but buy a well known brand locally.
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:42 pm

And bear in mind most big brand names have reels that fall into "Chinese made" Okuma Daiwa Shimano etc etc and some are so cheap... I used to buy reels lower in price, but found its a false economy long term... no doubt someone will be along and tell of catching a 20lb snapper on a red shed $15 barbie rod and reel...
But what you will find the blokes that are consistency catching fish without tales of woe will have decent gear, I have used many Chinese reels over the years, some ok some shocking... Would I return there after using after quality reels ? "No way"
Do your research and you will find something, just dont fall into the "I got one so its awesome thing"

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Blah, I don't approve of paying excessively for a label, but apart from that my experience with everything else in life has been that you get what you pay for. Why that would be any different in a harsh salt-water environment, I don't know?

Can't speak from experience (I do own a shishamo or something, but it is lying unused on a shelf somewhere so far), but I like what AW has to say. Only thing I'll add in in my case is I'm just too damn accident-prone and too lazy to pay ridiculous amounts for a reel. If I get 3-5 years out of my %160 reel and the next guy gets 10 years out of his $320 reel, then I'm happy with that.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

UrbanAngler

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Still a beginner in fishing in general, I own a KastKing baitcasting reel to try out baitcasting and I wasn't ready to spend hundreds of dollars on a new hobby that I didn't know whether I gona like it or not.

I don't have much comparison, but that reel is smooth enough for me at that time and do what it should do. As someone has mentioned above, the support for parts is a big issue. While i was cleaning the reel after fishing i accidentally cross threading the nut to lock the reel handle and it lost it's grip. i was trying to go around few local tackle shop and i couldn't find a nut that fit that gear. At the end and in a desperation i just super glued the nut :D Well it works and I can use it again. I never caught a massive horse so i can't comment about how good the drag against those bigger fish, but so far it serve me well.

Recently I bought daiwa tatula and when i cast that reel, i realise this one is so much smoother than kastking. maybe because of the age as i didn't really maintain the reel that well other than just a quick rinse on fresh water every time i'm coming back from fishing.

Will I buy this again? well if i'm short on cash and i need a new gear, why the hell not?

Snow Goose

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. It pretty much what my gut is telling me. "When it sounds too good to be true, it usually IS too good to be true". I have had great luck with my Peen and Abu Garcia, not so much with the cheap stuff. Was just wondering if there were signs that the Chinese outfits had actually turned the corner.
Snow Goose
Viking Profish Reload
ZMW3599

Cowboy
Kayak Make: Cobra Marauder
Kayak Model: Viking 440
VHF Call Sign: Cowboy

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:29 pm

I love the Shimano TLD it can be used for all sorts of fishing stray lining, rock fishing, jigging. I know its a large reel for a kayak but they are pretty indestructible and easy to service yourself. If shimano would release a smaller version I would pay good money for it. Had mine four years now fish regularly with surf launches and its still going strong.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Cowboy wrote:
I love the Shimano TLD it can be used for all sorts of fishing stray lining, rock fishing, jigging. I know its a large reel for a kayak but they are pretty indestructible and easy to service yourself. If shimano would release a smaller version I would pay good money for it. Had mine four years now fish regularly with surf launches and its still going strong.
I just built a rod for a guy who is using a TLD5 never seen one myself but could only imagine they are pretty small...

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Bought a Daiwa 4000 TD Sol from Australia. Thought what I had done was a good deal as I have two 3ooo TD Sols of the older variety. Never had a problem, both 6years old, still going strong and smooth as. Well, when the 4000 arrived from Australia one crank of the handle told me all was not well. Rough and noisy. Rang the outfitters who sold it, they in turn suggested if I was not happy to ring Daiwa Australia. This I did, what a joke. I was told almost 'get over it ' really the bloody thing is a heap of shite. Drag is also rough as . This reel had a one year warranty but only to the original purchaser within Australia. Shit me, did I have a good lesson in purchasing overseas. Have purchased a number of things off shore most goods good as, but on one occasion had a prick use my credit card number to have a holiday in the Greek Islands, to the tune of $6000 odd.
Anyway playing with this reel when I was lead to believe it had been made in Japan, I was surprised to read it had actually been made for Daiwa Australia in Friggin China. In most cases you get what you pay for. What I paid was too much for a piece of shit. Reel still goes alright except grumbles, had to up grade the drag to carbon drag washers..
Now I ask questions all sorts of questions, if the answer does not suit me I kick them into touch. The moral is be-careful where you spend your money.
15 Years back I purchased an Okuma reel from Hunting and Fishing In Tauranga after a bit of use I started to have problems with it so took it back. Jim Choat / Manager did not hesitate, he took it back and gave myself a brand new reel, now that is what spending your money in New Zealand is all about. Have a problem get it sorted fast as..

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:16 pm

awondering wrote:
I just built a rod for a guy who is using a TLD5 never seen one myself but could only imagine they are pretty small...
Had to Grooble that one, never heard of the 5. Looks pretty much like the 15, but with a narrower frame and spool width. Neat little job, and I love the TLD drags.
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Pannie Hunter
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Scrambler XT

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:01 am

I've had a great experience with a chinese reel. I think it cost me $25 landed in NZ. It's a 3000 size spinning reel with 12 ball bearings and I've been using it on my main softbaiting setup for two years now. It's been dunked and generally hammered. It's still performing really well. I do try to look after it, by cleaning and lubing it often, and I can't fault it. I've pulled in plenty of big snapper on it and it's handled everything I can throw at it. I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

It's pretty much the same as this one.........
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... 2aeb019f5e

Cowboy
Kayak Make: Cobra Marauder
Kayak Model: Viking 440
VHF Call Sign: Cowboy

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:36 am

awondering wrote:
Cowboy wrote:
Yea Im pretty sure Shimano only did a short run on the TLD5. You can only buy them second hand and they are pretty expensive. Definitely a better option than the bait runner though less working parts and a lot easier to service.

Snow Goose

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Well... in the end, ordered a Penn Conflict 4000. I am very happy with the quality of my Penn Slammer, so why not give this one a chance?
Snow Goose
Viking Profish Reload
ZMW3599

• Information