FPV-Power Kayak Battery! Wow!

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
DoubleD
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Just took delivery of this little beauty from the good folks over at Viking. Cheers to Stephen, Cat & also Brandon at FPV over in Oz for hooking me up. Fantastic customer service as always!

It only weighs 433g!!! WTF! And is 100% waterproof. Bye bye chunky SLA battery!

Now I just need the new FF to arrive so I can hunt me some more tasty snapper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:05 pm

Any chance of seeing what's inside the box..?
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

DoubleD

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Mental wrote:Any chance of seeing what's inside the box..?
Not without invalidating the warranty I'm afraid

Here's the link to their site though. Brandon is awesome so will more than likely fill you in if you ask him?

http://www.fpv-power.com.au/kayakbatteries/

Rob
Kayak Model: Aqua 2/Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU6741

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:49 pm

That gives me an idea...
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives...

UrbanAngler

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:57 am

What's the damage to your pocket?

DoubleD

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:26 am

UrbanAngler wrote:What's the damage to your pocket?

Not cheap ($167 delivered) but I figured I can use it for other stuff as well as in the yak, camping, multi-day hiking trips . so thought f$&k it let's give it a shot. Pretty happy with it to be honest. Will know once I've given it a run what the outcome is I guess.

UrbanAngler

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:57 am

DoubleD wrote:

Not cheap ($167 delivered) but I figured I can use it for other stuff as well as in the yak, camping, multi-day hiking trips . so thought f$&k it let's give it a shot. Pretty happy with it to be honest. Will know once I've given it a run what the outcome is I guess.

Thanks. I was considering the wilderness system lithium battery which i was planning to buy when my current SLA gives up. I have at least another option to consider :) have you considered that one?

ajst2duk

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:44 pm

I just bought the FPV 17.5ah one - just one thing to beware with similar batteries - make sure they have the required amperage output for what you intend to use for - FPV are fine in this respect but one other well known brand which is popular over here and mentioned above has great looking specs but has output limitation at 1amp and also has a self shut-down mode as some have discovered when they have clipped on their FF after heading out through the surf to find the battery has auto shut down. Most times that's unrecoverable on the water as the battery is hiding somewhere deep inside the kayak.

Just fishing and stuff
Kayak PB's
Snapper 87cm
Kingy 115cm
Now yakking in amazing W.A.

DoubleD

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:11 am

UrbanAngler wrote:
DoubleD wrote:

Thanks. I was considering the wilderness system lithium battery which i was planning to buy when my current SLA gives up. I have at least another option to consider :) have you considered that one?

I didn't no. I initially read a post on the Viking Kayak Owners Facebook group that Stephen Tapp wrote, he was trialling the larger 17.5ah model. I spoke to Viking and Brandon over at FPH and the rest is history.

xtreamz
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:42 pm

UrbanAngler wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:57 am
DoubleD wrote:

Hi, I am running a Wilderness on my yak, using the Lawrence Elite 5x Chirp. Keep in mind it is not a 10aH battery at 12v, more around a 6.25aH. I get about 7hours on full brightness (10), and more if I drop down to say 8. The auto-shutdown only happens if there is nothing drawing power (IE you turn fish finder off), but I normally have mine on from the beach until I get back on land again anyway.

It also comes super handy inside the house as a portable charger with the 2 USB ports - my daughter often uses it for the likes of her table if she is sitting somewhere away from a power outlet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PB Snapper: 17.6lb/76cm (14/05/2017) | PB Blue Cod 49cm (17/06/2017)| PB Kingfish 76cm | PB Tarakihi 53cm (04/09/2017)| PB Moki 54cm (17/06/2017)

Trident 4.3
Prowler 4.5 (2011-2015)

• Information