Are we loosing the "brotherhood "??

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:02 pm

I borrowed this article from the Reef Kayak Fishing FB page....

Have a read and have a bit of a think !

Why did you start kayak fishing ?.... why do kayak fish ?

Are we heading down the same path, or have we already got there ?

Can we bring "it" back ?

http://riverratzkayakfishing.com/kayak- ... w-death-2/
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Hainesy wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:02 pm
I borrowed this article from the Reef Kayak Fishing FB page....

Have a read and have a bit of a think !

Why did you start kayak fishing ?.... why do kayak fish ?

Are we heading down the same path, or have we already got there ?

Can we bring "it" back ?

http://riverratzkayakfishing.com/kayak- ... w-death-2/
Hainsey the way i see the plan. Those that kayak fish all enjoy the same past time. We do it because it pleases us to do so. The enjoyment is for us alone as a single person. We enjoy the company of others that also kayak fish; why because that is the way the plan works. We all have different plans in life hence the reason we are unique. Try not to read too much into what others think or do as they themselves have there own agenda. But they all still like to fish from a kayak...

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:51 pm

I've obviously ex-communicated myself from the brotherhood, but I've had unforgettable experiences while kayak fishing and think that kayak fishos lead the way in taking up new gear and techniques, so useful people to know.

On the differences mentioned in the article, I've often thought that's cool, but it's not for me. Glass kayaks and motorised kayaks come to mind. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with what others do.

rainbow
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: P13
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rainbow

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Interesting article but really nothing new. Such divisive progressions happen within all forms of competitive endeavours. Social media just makes it more visible. I have long ago decided to declutter my life and not join this social communication addiction. Truth is I only own one old cell phone which my wife forced onto me when I drive off on an extended fishing trip. Most of the time the battery is flat anyway. Do I miss something by not being reachable every hour of the day or night? Or do I really want to share my most intimate thoughts with people I have never physically met? Do I need to feel inadequate if I am not decked out in the latest colour coordinated gear? Not be seen to be part of next wave of gadget innovation? I can imagine what that guy is lamenting about. The flash Harry's, the all gear and no idea clowns, the one eyed brand home guard, the never fail experts. It sounds so harmless but for many it can also become all consuming. No wonder our society has a rising, often self inflicted mental health problem.

Rainbow

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 am

Personally I don't have that much time available to go kayak fishing. When I do, I want it to be enjoyable and I want to catch fish.

I'll buy gear that makes my time on the water enjoyable.

I'll stick with a particular brand e.g. Shimano, because it has served me well.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:01 am

Here's my overly long reply :lol:

Why did you get into the hobby?
I'm a fisherman through and through, since my Grandfather put a split cane rod in my hand I've been hooked. Fast forward 20 years and I had a 5.4m boat sat in my drive way never getting wet that I owned 50:50 with a mate who never really wanted to go out every weekend like I did - and it was bloody expensive for next to no return - so it was decided to sell the boat and find some other way of fishing with my share... The boat was sold and my half paid for a new kitchen... and a kayak for me :P Why the kayak? Simple - I'm a fisherman who needed a platform that got me to where the fish were, and in particular where the boats weren't - the shallows and remote beaches where boats simply couldn't launch.

What was your first kayak?
An Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.5 Elite, $1650 with a few bells and whistles, factory second from the old JO factory in Silverdale. Quite a bit of research went into that purchase as I assumed it was going to be my first and last kayak I'd ever need! :D Why that one - because Stephen Tapp who was paddling for OK at the time used one - so it had to be the best :)

What matters most when buying a kayak?
Number one is of course safety - get a kayak that fits you (body shape) and your intended use. Second one though and for me is the key to it all - Where do you want to fish? Get the kayak that suits where you fish and your style and that may or may not be a fully fledged latest and greatest plastic fantastic or just a simple 3m Chinese import - if it gets you to the fish (and back) safely then it's a winner. The speed, the number of bells and whistles, the method of propulsion, etc don't put fish in the bin and on the dinner table.

If kayak companies had a rule that said You can’t tell anyone you’re on our pro-staff” would you still do it?
Sort of a mute point for me as I've worked in the kayak manufacturing industry for several years now, and of course owned KFNZ for nearly ten years. In the early years of KFNZ when the guys at JO offered me cheap kayaks (yes I paid actual money for them) they never asked me to shout about it, nor back then were there such things in NZ as Pro Staff. Of course later once I was working there kayaks were free (still owned by JO though not me) so I went though quite a few but for me it was still about the fishing not the kayak so much, hence why when the 4.3 came out I of course switched from the 4.7 but for me I preferred fishing from the 4.7 so I ditched the latest and went back to a two year old boat... and these days now JO is long gone from NZ and I work for another rotomoulder where we make the range of Phoenix Kayaks I'm actually paddling a Stealth and the Hornet but each has it's uses in different areas and times - back to my original point I'm a fisherman...

If you’re on YouTube What is your goal?
Yes but it's just a method of sharing for me, not a money spinner, you'll never make money from Youtube with one video every week or so, daily vlogs is where the money is...

One more question I'd like to throw in there is:

Do you still kayak fish? More less than before, and why?
My answer to that is yes I do but no where near what I used to do, at my peak I fished 54 days in one year - that's full days not a quiet 1-2 hours in the evening - and that excludes my crazy 30 day fishing challenge - these days I'd be lucky if I got my bum wet on average of ten days a year! Why? Simple answer - LIFE - everything changes, for me it's family - kids are 13 and 16, housing in the past ten years we've been through about seven house including buying a big rural section with a run down house this week! Work is now much more than just kayaks. Hobbies/interests change and now house renos, chickens, pigs, growing food, is higher in the list. And with fishing and family time getting more precious a boat was purchased so we could still scratch that itch but at the same time do it as a family.

I'll always own a kayak which I'll use when I can but the one thing that will never change for me is I AM A FISHERMAN!
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

MikeAqua

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:16 am

Another observation. I was unfortunate to be burgled recently and all my kayak gear, along with bunch of other stuff was taken.

A lot of that stuff was older so is replaced with depreciated value in cash. After much argument I've settled on a number with the insurer (man, are they sick of me). I'll have to choose which of my stuff I replace.

Top of the list after a few practical everyday essentials is my kayak and fishing gear and there is very little of that which I feel is unnecessary.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:57 am

Why did you start kayak fishing?

At the time, I was living in southwest England and doing quite a lot of rock fishing. Spots were limited and I didn't enjoy standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the riff-raff Kayak fishing was an escape from that.

Around the same time, I realised that being afloat opened up so many opportunities, and that the fish were often just out of casting distance from the shore.

I am a fisherman though, not a paddler. I never really enjoyed the paddling side of things. Never took the kayak out without fishing gear.

piwikiwi
Kayak Make: perception
Kayak Model: swing

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Theres definitely an over the top factor with gear and videoing etc. I remember Rainbow fishing out of a Frenzy and killing it. I started on some embarrassingly small kayaks with a sack and a rod but still did ok. Newbies are been told to go straight to a Reload now as if budget doesnt matter and nothing else works. Guys start fishing and quickly want bigger fish and end up travelling to big fish locations instead of enjoying the buzz of catching a feed locally.
The ones that stay in the sport will do it for the grass roots stuff like catching a feed with mates and just basically enjoying life.
Kayakfishing will prevail but some will come and go like every hobby.

Telecaster
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:01 pm

I am all about the fishing, I bought a kayak because I was sick of only catching kahawai and small snapper off the rocks around auckland. If I could afford a decent boat I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I do enjoy the buzz of catching big fish off the kayak and the fresh air and exercise. I still find 99.9 percent of other kayak fishos friendly and happy to chat, I have only had one bad experience with a moron who seemed to think Leigh Reef was his own secret fishing spot, and when I paddled toward him to offer him a livie was told to "F off, find your own marks". I proceeded to paddle to the other side of the reef, find the kingies and land a nice 85cm keeper in front of him while he caught leatherjackets and goatfish.

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:18 pm

I was another frustrated Auckland shore fisherman. Tired of getting either zip, rocks, or the occasional kahwai.
A kayak seemed the cheapest, least fuss way to get off shore and into some better fish. And being the guy I am, I just had to make my own - which was a fun experience in itself.

It must be nearly a year since I got my kayak wet - things seem to keep getting in the way (weather, work, jobs around the house). Really need to break the dry spell.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Why did you get into the hobby? I originally got into kayak fishing because I liked the paddle to fishy spots to spearfish and dive. I later realized that I didn't have to get wet and spearfish anymore. So I bought some rods and the rest is history.

What was your first kayak? A 3rd hand Viking Tempo. Nothing flash or fancy.

What matters most when buying a kayak? Quality and price. If I can get some accessories with it that will be great.

If you’re on YouTube What is your goal? To share my POV. A two-three minute montage with a funky tune in the background. I don't have the patience to do a vlog and my missus isn't interested in editing a vlog unless I pay her for it :n: .

Do you still kayak fish? More less than before, and why? Every year I fish less and less. But I have done a crap load of work around the house and garden.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Achilles
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMX2317

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:08 am

Hainsey,
I'm really still just a newbie, so I think a lot of what that article refers to goes over my head a little. For me personally, the brotherhood still seems very much alive. Whether I'm out at dinner and spark up a conversation about kayak fishing with a new acquaintance or meet someone random out on the water, I really love that kindred spirit feeling that seems to exist. All of the Kayak fishers I've met so far seem to be good buggers. Haven't really come across too much in the way of Flash Harry's with heaps of gear and attitude/arrogance to match.

I started Kayak fishing from a Tandem Mission Surge that I bought for the family 3 years ago, and thanks to knee injuries that making hunting in the hills less accessible, have dedicated more time to fishing over the last 12 months especially. The fact that I've had so much more success from my kayak than I ever have from land or from the tinnie I part owned for a few years has me hooked!

I love being on the water, I love the fact that my 2 boys are keen on coming with me. Yes, I have spent a bit of coin and bought myself a Reload, but apart from being awesome for me on my own, the room in the back for the co-pilot plus all the extra storage you get makes it much easier to get the kids involved. Obviously I can't wait until they are old enough to be able to manage their own kayaks!!

I really love this sport. Don't get much time to get out there and do it, but spend a fair bit of time each day wishing I was.

This website has been awesome, and seems alive with the brotherhood. Because I've only recently joined the community, I don't know what it was like in the early days, but from where I stand now, I see a vibrant bunch of fellas all loving what they are doing. I feel really lucky to be able to be part of this group, read what other people are up to and occasionally chip in and let people know how I'm going.

Cheers.
Achilles

ZMX 2317

Viking Reload

slashedwalnut
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:43 am

I like what Mental had to say..

Yip love fishing a bit much.. DO i get out? not as often as i use to... Life happens.. I still have a my prowler 4.7 and a boat why? i have 2 boys and a wife that like the odd good weather fishing trip it became all about family now, that the kids are older when they where young it was all about support.. Other than that the boat is parked up with my kayak. I had my share of illnesses over the last few years.. But hey every summer i say this summer is all about fishing... even tho i know if its not the weather it will be life that gets in the way..

Always hoping that one day my boys will be at the age where i can share the kayaking hobby with them..

Anyhow Keep calm and fish..

Cheers

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:16 pm

I think this forum always gets a bit quieter over the winter months, but I don't think it means anything. Kayak fishing is alive and well!

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:49 pm

Great to see some good discussion and feedback !

Like many I " migrated" into the sport off the back of some fishing at an early age, surfcasting and then long lining, so I'm a fisherman foremost and a paddler for a bit of passion.

I've paddled the major NZ made brands and now own both a Viking and an OK.....

I enjoy the comraderie of a bunch of good bastards and can honestly say after having done heaps of travelling all over the place with both rep sport and work, some of my best memories are talking shit after a good days fishing with a some tall tales, a couple of beers and a BBQ !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Nemesis
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:01 pm

The original article, and it's premise, I have seen in another sport that I have been actively involved in for far too long, although the active part of my involvement has kind of gone by the way, but I am still involved. That sport is cycling, and much of what has been pointed out in the article, has parallels in cycling, and ultimately for many people the reason for riding has been lost in a plethora of other reasons to get on the bike. The are lots of reasons for the fractionalisation that happened but key to it for me was once the brand fanboys crept in, and then suddenly it was that you had to have a carbon Italiano Brand bike with deep dish wheels and hand made tyres and latex inner tubes and the right length socks and so forth and so on for you to be able to even ride to the local cafe... Luckily Kayak fishing hasn't really come close to traveling down that horrid path.

However, there are still strong brand alignments for most people, and that extends to rods, reels, terminal tackle, line, clothing, accessories, electronics, etc etc. There are some spectacularly good products from most manufacturers, but they don't always have the credibility they are due because of brand perception. Equally some of the big brands have some real dogs at times.

Small disclaimer in all of this, and my comments, I work for one of the major players in the fishing tackle wholesale business in NZ, so please don't take anything I say as a dig at any brands, manufacturers or wholesalers.

So, in answer to the questions.

I have fished since I was a kid, both fresh and salt water, and then as an adult I carried on, crewing on mate's boats, landbasing, and the like. I have never had to scratch for fishing time, and I couldn't be bothered owning a boat, as then I'd be the one chasing crew. On a whim, I bought a tandem kayak that my wife and I used for camping expeditions, and I realised quite quickly that I could fish off it.... Since then it's been upgraded and I realised that kayak fishing offers a whole different range of experiences from boat, or landbased. Of course my slightly obsessive part crept in and suddenly I had another set of gear that was only for the kayak....try explaining why you have multiple sets of most of the lighter gear...

What was your first kayak? Did you buy the best one you could afford? Do you think the new guys are doing the same thing?
Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL, bought because it was a bargain, and fitted the original purpose that I had in mind. New guys, like my path to kayak fishing, they come to it in many different ways.

What matters most when buying a kayak? The brand or the person’s body type and fishing style?
The person's body type and fishing style, if the yak is fit for purpose, and safe, then brand has next to nothing to do with it.

If kayak companies had a rule that said “You can’t tell anyone you’re on our pro-staff” would you sign up for it?
Hell yes! Although, with work, I sign up pro-staff and then get them to push stuff for me, so slightly disingenuous on my behalf.

If you’re on Youtube, what is your goal.
I'm not, as I simply CBA

I am first and foremost a fisherman, but I do enjoy the paddle.
And I really enjoy the company and sense of kinship that comes with the sport.
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:22 am

like most have said the fluctuations in this sport are the same as most others so there will always be people around.

i started fishing when i was a kid at Port Waikato. we had a 6ft dinghy i used in the estuary with limited success but also fished off the dunes and the surf etc. my dad had an old tandem surf ski that he used to fish off. used to set up by the surf club and head out people thought he was mad LOL. used to set a net set a long line then fish with the rod and reel. this was in the late 60s and 70s. during the 80s and 90s i stopped fishing due to work and other commitments but about 12 years ago i was up for xmas at tauranga with the parents and dad showed be his new toy. a cobra tandem that was set up for fishing so i immediatley borrowed it and that was that.
got an OK 4.5 elite soon after we got back and still have it. and use it. borrowed an Ok scupper pro from a fellow yak fisher for my son when he was big enough to handle it and then bought it. my fishing style has changed a bit over the years and now have a stealth as well as the other 2. initially i got into the sport for the fishing but have evolved into more paddling with the bonus of catching a feed
my wife gives me grief about the 3 kayaks and says i should sell them all LOL i am resisting. :D
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

MikeAqua

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm reasonably brand loyal.. once I find something that works for me I will stick with it. Shimano is one such example. If you ask me "what reel" I'll say "Shimano works well for me". I recently had some gear stolen and all the replacements I buy will be Shimano.

Not a dig at other brands, just that I can't really comment on them.

Reminds of comedian who noted that: saying "save the rainforest" does not mean ":swear: all other trees"
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

bas
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW6994

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:25 pm

While I would say that I am too new to this hobby to claim to be any part of a "Brotherhood" I'd still like to add my 10 cents..

I've always enjoyed water, I have to either be on top of it or under it. Growing up I had access to a lot of different watercraft, kayaks and row boats at camps, inflatable toy boats, our family had a 20ft fizz boat, at university I tried white water kayaking later I was crew on a yacht in the summer and winter series. I even built my own outrigger canoe. However I kept getting drawn back to the humble kayak. The versatility to explore coast line, rivers or mangroves appeals to me. They are easy to launch and transport, you can go in a group or solo.

While I have spent time fishing (with mum) growing up at the family bach, that wasn't the driver behind my first kayak. I wanted something cheap to play with at the beach. Since there are no boat ramps to launch from (where we go) there was a lot of extra hassle if I got a watercraft that required a trailer to launch. Add to that the outright expense of owning a powerboat the idea never got off the ground. So a kayak was the logical choice for me but I never planned to fish from it.

What was your first kayak? Did you buy the best one you could afford?

My first kayak was a Viking 3.6m Scout that I brought second hand. It's most important quality was the price and that it was a reputable brand. This turned out to be a lot of fun with the kids, surfing waves or paddling out to rocks for snorkelling. My next kayak was a Viking 2+1, I wanted something that I could use to take both kids out, so the deciding factor on the Viking was the +1 aspect. What I learnt from the 2+1 was that even alone I could easily take it out for several kilometres without too much hassle. Then one day when I needed some time away from the family I took the 2+1 out with a fishing rod... While not successful (one undersized snapper) it was fun. The next trip was more rewarding with a kawhai and a gurnard and then for the third trip I went out with my son which saw us land another kawhai, much to his surprise!

Following on from that I decided to bite the bullet and get a proper fishing kayak. I had wanted to get a Viking Profish 440 or 400 but there weren't any factory seconds available so I talked myself into a Reload. I stuck with the Viking brand purely because I am very happy with my other two kayaks and saw no reason to change. I would have loved to get a Hobie paddle drive, but suffer from a severe case of sticker shock. One of the driving factors behind the decision to get the reload was that it had to be a significant upgrade from the 2+1 as a fishing platform (which it is!)

Do you think the new guys are doing the same thing?

My path to the Reload was not very typical, I never intended to get back into fishing, I had a couple of rods but more because that's what you have at a beach house. But if I was to make a recommendation to anyone looking to start kayak fishing I would strongly recommend that they spend the money on a proper boat for the job upfront. I'm not brand specific, but I do believe in the right tool for the job and using a reputable brand will improve your chances should things go to custard on the water (as they will sooner or later). It will also greatly improve your enjoyment of the sport.

What matters most when buying a kayak? The brand or the person’s body type and fishing style?

Faith in the product, comfort, storage and ease of access to the storage. Fishing style.

If kayak companies had a rule that said “You can’t tell anyone you’re on our pro-staff” would you sign up for it?

Didn't even know there was such a thing as "Pro-staff". What is it?

If you’re on YouTube, what is your goal.

I have a couple of videos on YouTube of other activities, and have decided that it's too much effort. I really admire and am thankful for the efforts of the likes of Rob Fort because I have learnt a lot from them. But I don't have the time and patience to sit through all the editing effort. Last Christmas I took a lot of video snorkelling in New Caledonia and I have only managed to publish two 8min videos from hours of footage. And really how many people want to watch 8min of snorkelling video that doesn't include young women in bikinis?

• Information