To cut the line or not? It has been answered for us

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Was reading around the net today about hooks left in fish and mortality rates etc and came across this: https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fis ... shs-mouth/

Turns out, rather than mangle the fish trying to remove a hook, it can be much better for their survival to just leave it in and not because of what we thought (that hooks will rust etc) they are actually quite effective if removing the hooks themselves.
This particular study was on Pike, however the principal message seems like it would be pretty similar regardless of species and location

Food for thought either way
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:20 pm

I wonder if that's true of jigheads? I've never had trouble getting a jighead out of a fish mouth - they're almost always lip hooked.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:32 pm

i've been thinking the same thing for quite some time. anyway, i really don't enjoy/do bait fishing for snapper any more, so not an issue.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Have to admit I've always thought that would happen especially given how easy they throw the hook when it's connected to my line!

What amazes me is that we haven't had someone by now hook a fish cut the line and throw the fish in a fish tank and video how long it takes for the fish to throw the hook out...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Kayak Adventures
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: To many models to name
VHF Call Sign: ZMS6165

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:12 pm

"What amazes me is that we haven't had someone by now hook a fish cut the line and throw the fish in a fish tank and video how long it takes for the fish to throw the hook out..."
I suppose the fish need to be in their natural environment to use structure maybe to dislodge the hooks? Are they this smart!
Of the fish I have caught I never pulled one in with hook or line attached. However have had ones with bung eye maybe foul hooked previously!
I also hear conflicting reports on whether to handle fish with your bare hands or a towel. Always thought it best to use a towel but recently saw on TV that's not a good idea. How do they know this?
Janet
All the best from the team

Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coromande ... 33?sk=wall

Stockists of the worlds best brands! Fishing Kayaks, Accessories, Watersport Clothing, Spearfishing Gear and Fishing Tackle

quick-center
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite 4.5

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:46 pm

I was watching Gone fishing and Graeme said that he keeps any legal fish caught up until the limit and stops once reached because no matter how you handle the fish they die anyway due to internal injuries from pulling them up through the water column. (He seems to have gone completely in support of the commercial sector these days so unsure if he had a biased opinion)

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:17 pm

I caught a kingfish around 25-30lb off Karekare a long time ago that was gut hooked previously . The hook was through the stomach . The barb and half the bend outside the stomach was as new , still unblemished and sharp. The half inside was dissolved to less than a quarter of the original gauge. The nylon knot at the eye end was the only leader visible. How long it was like that I don't know but it was healthy and swallowed a 3lb kahawai livie.

Glass is Class.. dedant

Cowboy
Kayak Make: Cobra Marauder
Kayak Model: Viking 440
VHF Call Sign: Cowboy

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Ive pulled in snapper with hooks in their mouth and a kahawai with a hook in its throat and the trace and swivel hanging out its mouth. Both were in very healthy condition.

• Information