Slow jigging rod to pair with a Talica 8

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Rabbit
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 4.3

Tue May 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Any suggestions for a nice, but not exotically priced, slow/micro jig rod to pair up with a Talica 8 narrow gauge reel? Sort of up to 150g - Mainly fish in the 10m to 30m range and have recently ventured out to 50m mark which I am keen to explore with some jigs and inchikus in the 80g to 150g range and hopefully get a couple of bigger snapper.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Tue May 23, 2017 5:02 pm

I've just got a new Catch Fishing acid wrap rod, which is 50-150 i think. Goes nice so far :)
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

AndrewRawlingson

Tue May 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Just had first outing with my brand new Ocean Angler Bender (strange choice of name!). It's a funny little thing, very soft tip. I admit to not quite knowing how to play fish with it. Seemed too soft with my usual drag setting, cranked it up a bit and some fish fell off the hooks that way as well :D A happy medium was found eventually. Lots of bites/hooked fish. I'd be the last to say that rod makes a difference to the number of bites, but it seemed to today. Maybe coincidence though. The rod is rated to 130g. In reality, it looked pretty loaded with 80g, so maybe a bit light for what you had in mind.

Kayak Rob
Kayak Make: Old Town & Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Predator PDL, Trident 15
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rob or ZMS6165

Wed May 24, 2017 8:26 am

Considering your plans I would not scrimp on price and having used many brands over the last few years the options I recommend are:

Daiwa Bluebacker Jig does up to 180g its priced under $200 and great value

But the best option by far is the Jigstar Slow Jerk in either 2oz or 3oz but has a higher price although worth every cent.

The Catch rod is fine but much heavier in hand and the Daiwa is a better price. We have all three in our Coromandel Kayak Adventures store and the Daiwa and Zest are by far the most popular because when you pick one up the reason becomes clear. Also I can attest to use on the kayak.
Kayak fishing is life

Rob Fort
NZ Kayak Fishing
Award winning video: https://www.youtube.com/user/NZkayakfishing
http://www.yakfishnz.com
Rob Fort Series http://robfortseries.co.nz/

Old Town, Ocean Kayak & Humminbird Pro Team member, supported by: Sharkskin, Maxel, Jigstar, Gamakatsu, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Salt A-Way, NZ Bay Fisher, Neptune, Pelaj, Railblaza, Zest

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed May 24, 2017 1:58 pm

I'd recommend the Abu Garcia Salty Stage KR-X Slow Jigging Rod Loving mine, it's very very thin in the tip and so far I haven't but it does look like it'd pretty easy to point load but man for such a skinny noodle of a rod it has some good power in it!
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Jordan_jh
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Wed May 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Mental wrote:I'd recommend the Abu Garcia Salty Stage KR-X Slow Jigging Rod Loving mine, it's very very thin in the tip and so far I haven't but it does look like it'd pretty easy to point load but man for such a skinny noodle of a rod it has some good power in it!
yup they are a nice looking rod I also have one but it never got to see a fish when I rolled in the surf on a beach launch and broke it right where the rod fits into the but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Information