With so many choices, why a kayak?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:42 pm

You can get a good used tinny, sometimes with an OK wee outboard, for about the cost of some of the yaks out there.

You can get an inflatable weighing the same if not less than some yaks, but more stable, has way more payload, can take multiple people, dive gear, etc, for not much more than a yak. You can launch it just about anywhere.

There's the wavewalk that is some weird sort of twin hull plastic yak.

Various skiffs.

The lean n steer kayak weighs about what a plastic yak does.

With so many options, many of which cost about or not much more than a high-end yak, why did you choose the latter?

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:02 pm

I chose the latter by chance. When I had a tinny my old mates use to ask me to take them out fishing. But the useless assholes never chipped in for gas, bait and ice or help clean up. Since I converted to yak fishing and sold the tinny I haven't heard from them since.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

BBeech

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:31 am

I'm only beginning my journey so maybe I'll change my mind, but I want to keep fit while fishing. Also the yak sounds more manageable maintenance wise when compared to​ a boat

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mikG
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: FnD

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:07 am

I am Mongolian

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:34 am

There are so many reasons, but having started using kayaks in the 70's to access remote back country hunting and fresh water fishing opportunities it became an addiction. This addiction aside, here are some of the key advantages that make it incredibly difficult to even contemplate small boat ownership:

- car-topping and easy solo transport to the waters edge, and easy launching into shallow or deep water without a ramp opens up so many more launching opportunities away from popular locations

- simple maintenance. I want to go fishing, not spend time or money cleaning and maintaining boats and outboards

- above all else I enjoy hunting. Applying this to my fishing (I now hunt fish, I don't go "fishing") I appreciate the quiet stealth of kayaks in both shallow and deep waters, their nimbleness in allowing me to position within centimetres of where I think I need to be to best present baits and lures, and the supreme performance I can get from sounder technology due to the lack of interference from motors and electrics. This last point has allowed me to "see" below the water and allow me to actually "hunt" for my fishy quarry. I've tried this from bigger craft using the same top end electronics I use from my kayak and it's frustrating - it's just not as easy as hunting from a kayak.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

owaldock
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 am

I’d never fished before or had a boat so really just stumbled into kayak fishing. But there a few things which are standout for me:

- Simplicity and sturdiness; can maintain everything myself with very little ongoing cost and can transport on the roof of the car and therefore access just about any bit of coast.
- Physicality; lots of great spots just off the beach but equally there are some greats bits of country to explore which require a fair paddle.
- Stealthyness; both from a stalking fish perspective and just getting some overdue piece and quite.
- Community; I just about laughed when someone first said I should think about a fishing kayak, I was thinking about how you would take out my mates? The reality for me it has been a great mix of a solitary pursuit with a whole community of kayak anglers mixed in. Love that is can be as social or as solitary as I would like.

Orson

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:29 am

1. no motor
2. I built my kayak.
3. I'm the only fisher in my family - a boat built for one is perfect for me.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:53 am

All the forms of fishing I have done over many years, it is the one I have enjoyed the most, input output the results are very good by comparison to other forms of fishing..... Stealth all the way !!!
I feel a lot safer in a Kayak than a tinny :!:

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Schecter wrote:I chose the latter by chance. When I had a tinny my old mates use to ask me to take them out fishing. But the useless assholes never chipped in for gas, bait and ice or help clean up. Since I converted to yak fishing and sold the tinny I haven't heard from them since.
I hear you and can go one better than wasters posing as mates who don't offer to help or fund the trips. I can't stomach seafood, so if they didn't catch much, they often got my fish too.
BBeech wrote:I'm only beginning my journey so maybe I'll change my mind, but I want to keep fit while fishing.
That's the prime reason for me too. Never came right after ACL reconstruction many years ago. Went from ultra fit (running over 100 miles a week with recovery jogs on top of that) to fat and at least a yak provides some exercise. It's a great feeling to know I'm getting stronger, paddling easier, and I can stay out longer, notwithstanding a sore arse after about 5 hours. By next Summer I hope to be fit and experienced enough to 'get wide' if the weather window allows.
mikG wrote:I am Mongolian
Do you race yours?
Yak-race.jpg
Limitless wrote:- car-topping and easy solo transport to the waters edge, and easy launching into shallow or deep water without a ramp opens up so many more launching opportunities away from popular locations

- simple maintenance. I want to go fishing, not spend time or money cleaning and maintaining boats and outboards

- above all else I enjoy hunting.
I can only imagine it must be very satisfying to target a particular fish and nail it.

There are inflatables that weigh about the same as a yak that can be car topped with similar ease, or deflated and thrown in the boot, but then there's the hassle of the motor and air pump, although if it's not too much of a hike between car and waters edge, some of the wee outboards seem pretty lightweight. I question how good such inflatables would be in rough conditions or surf though - all the videos I've looked at show them being used as tenders in calm water or only very slight chop. The only ones I've seen that handle well in surf aren't exactly portable though.

That's a great comparison between the same sounders on a motorboat and a yak, thanks. Great to know that. I'll be shopping for a sounder soon - maybe some great deals at the boat shows in a few months times might tempt me.
owaldock wrote:I’d never fished before or had a boat so really just stumbled into kayak fishing. But there a few things which are standout for me:

- Simplicity and sturdiness; can maintain everything myself with very little ongoing cost and can transport on the roof of the car and therefore access just about any bit of coast.
- Physicality; lots of great spots just off the beach but equally there are some greats bits of country to explore which require a fair paddle.
- Stealthyness; both from a stalking fish perspective and just getting some overdue piece and quite.
- Community; I just about laughed when someone first said I should think about a fishing kayak, I was thinking about how you would take out my mates? The reality for me it has been a great mix of a solitary pursuit with a whole community of kayak anglers mixed in. Love that is can be as social or as solitary as I would like.

Orson
Even though I have dreams of getting wide in the yak one day, I often wonder how many great spots around the coasts or not far offshore so many motorboats seem to pass over or ignore or don't realise on their way to wherever they are going.
TwoSpoons wrote:1. no motor
2. I built my kayak.
Can't argue with that. Do you have any photos of your yak you can share please? I have just enough wood skills to get myself into trouble, so am always looking for my next failed project. Was thinking about making a greenland paddle, but from native timber. Whilst won't be the lightest, it would mean more to me than cedar.
awondering wrote:All the forms of fishing I have done over many years, it is the one I have enjoyed the most, input output the results are very good by comparison to other forms of fishing..... Stealth all the way !!!
Safer, how? A tinny has more freeboard, surely more stability (?), greater payload capacity, and the engine doesn't suffer fatigue quite like a human engine does on a long trip. In the surf they may be safer, but that said I had my old tinny out in some pretty ugly weather at times.

vr4king

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:07 pm

I have both and only use the boat now for trolling purposes.....Nuff said

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:21 pm

I luv paddling - I like the motion of it and the fitness from it.

Which is the reason I haven't bought a pedal yak even though they are probably better suited to fishing.

If I want to pedal I'll buy a bike.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:17 pm

[/quote] Safer, how? A tinny has more freeboard, surely more stability (?), greater payload capacity, and the engine doesn't suffer fatigue quite like a human engine does on a long trip. In the surf they may be safer, but that said I had my old tinny out in some pretty ugly weather at times.[/quote]

Not sure freeboard gives stability, payload is relative to what you are doing, Fatigue ! that's an individual thing and keeping within your means of what/where and how far you can go, preparation is key here...
I would much rather right my kayak in the water and get back in than be in an upturned tinnie out there :!:

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:30 pm

I catch more and bigger fish in my yak than I did in my tinny . Fish a lot more in my yak also . You don't have to put up with the twats you inevitably fish with on boats . :!:

Doubie
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMX2654

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:08 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:Thanks for the replies.
Schecter wrote:I chose the latter by chance. When I had a tinny my old mates use to ask me to take them out fishing. But the useless assholes never chipped in for gas, bait and ice or help clean up. Since I converted to yak fishing and sold the tinny I haven't heard from them since.
I hear you and can go one better than wasters posing as mates who don't offer to help or fund the trips. I can't stomach seafood, so if they didn't catch much, they often got my fish too.
BBeech wrote:I'm only beginning my journey so maybe I'll change my mind, but I want to keep fit while fishing.
That's the prime reason for me too. Never came right after ACL reconstruction many years ago. Went from ultra fit (running over 100 miles a week with recovery jogs on top of that) to fat and at least a yak provides some exercise. It's a great feeling to know I'm getting stronger, paddling easier, and I can stay out longer, notwithstanding a sore arse after about 5 hours. By next Summer I hope to be fit and experienced enough to 'get wide' if the weather window allows.
mikG wrote:I am Mongolian
Do you race yours?
Yak-race.jpg
Limitless wrote:- car-topping and easy solo transport to the waters edge, and easy launching into shallow or deep water without a ramp opens up so many more launching opportunities away from popular locations

- above all else I enjoy hunting.
I can only imagine it must be very satisfying to target a particular fish and nail it.

There are inflatables that weigh about the same as a yak that can be car topped with similar ease, or deflated and thrown in the boot, but then there's the hassle of the motor and air pump, although if it's not too much of a hike between car and waters edge, some of the wee outboards seem pretty lightweight. I question how good such inflatables would be in rough conditions or surf though - all the videos I've looked at show them being used as tenders in calm water or only very slight chop. The only ones I've seen that handle well in surf aren't exactly portable though.

That's a great comparison between the same sounders on a motorboat and a yak, thanks. Great to know that. I'll be shopping for a sounder soon - maybe some great deals at the boat shows in a few months times might tempt me.
owaldock wrote:I’d never fished before or had a boat so really just stumbled into kayak fishing. But there a few things which are standout for me:

Orson
Even though I have dreams of getting wide in the yak one day, I often wonder how many great spots around the coasts or not far offshore so many motorboats seem to pass over or ignore or don't realise on their way to wherever they are going.
2. I built my kayak.
Can't argue with that. Do you have any photos of your yak you can share please? I have just enough wood skills to get myself into trouble, so am always looking for my next failed project. Was thinking about making a greenland paddle, but from native timber. Whilst won't be the lightest, it would mean more to me than cedar.
awondering wrote:All the forms of fishing I have done over many years, it is the one I have enjoyed the most, input output the results are very good by comparison to other forms of fishing..... Stealth all the way !!!
Safer, how? A tinny has more freeboard, surely more stability (?), greater payload capacity, and the engine doesn't suffer fatigue quite like a human engine does on a long trip. In the surf they may be safer, but that said I had my old tinny out in some pretty ugly weather at times.
Great post and some good ideas. I am still looking for the right yak. Have a small boat but the idea of easy transport, lower maintenance costs and some fitness thrown in really appeals to me!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

mikG
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: FnD

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 pm

Do I race my yak? No. That's being silly.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Exercise, kayaking gets me out burning calories I otherwise wouldn't burn.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

mitchfam
Kayak Model: Tempo

Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:20 pm

I can be ready to launch in 5 minutes , be on the water in 10 and amongst the workup I see from the deck.
I love the peace and solitude of it all and I can go places where the boaties can't ( or don't know about)
I also love the low maintenance of it all. Bought my tempo 12 years ago and spent about $200 for a new running rig, new seat and cheap trolley in that time.

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:33 pm

2. I built my kayak.
Can't argue with that. Do you have any photos of your yak you can share please? I have just enough wood skills to get myself into trouble, so am always looking for my next failed project. Was thinking about making a Greenland paddle, but from native timber. Whilst won't be the lightest, it would mean more to me than cedar.
Light is why Western Red Cedar is used and light is what is wanted. Same with the kayak, 18 kg ready for sea. Paddled at 13 kg before final fit-out.
awondering wrote:I feel a lot safer in a Kayak than a tinny :!:
Freeboard isn't needed, being able to handle the vessel is. I'd not like to take a tinny in on some of the surf and uncomfortable pounding into 1-2 metre waves.

So yes, kayak and build them too. Them meaning quite a number plus near a dozen paddles.

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:59 am

I've been out on a small tinny (12ft) in a chop and it wasn't fun at all. I would have felt safer in a kayak. I think the benefits of a kayak have been covered. Personally, it was about cost and easy launching. To put the financial side in perspective, the cost of insuring/fuelling/servicing a boat in one year would buy you a decent fishing kayak, maybe two! I also think that a kayak is very much suited to soft baiting in shallow water, more so than a boat.

Having said all that, I converted to jet ski about two years ago. I'm a fisherman, not a paddler. I never really enjoyed the paddling side of things, it was simply a means to get me where I wanted. I enjoy the ski, it's somewhere between a boat and a kayak in terms of size and organisation and has opened up some new fishing opportunities for me.

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:03 am

Schecter wrote:When I had a tinny my old mates use to ask me to take them out fishing. But the useless assholes never chipped in for gas, bait and ice or help clean up.
That's a shame. When I go out on friend's boats, I never expect them to be out of pocket for a day's fishing. I also offer them all the fish. If they've spent $50-100k on a boat and have offered to take me out, it's the least I can do.

• Information