Rowing for Fish

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Rowing Fisher

Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Looking out at the water on any given day there are always quite a number of people in kayaks fishing. I enjoy rowing and have often wondered why there are no similarly equipped row boats, properly built and set up for fishing. Thought I might get a concept together and put it out there to receive comments/tips on it and ultimately to find out if anyone would want one.

The plan would be to build it in composite, with the amas demountable so all hulls can be lifted onto a car roof easily. The amas are there to make it as stable and safe as possible. The boat will have plenty of hatches and all the standard features the top kayaks have. With the stability of the amas, a bimini also as an option to the keep rain/sun off on serious outings. Being 3 hulls, composite construction and a proper rowing set-up, the base price will probably be in the $7-$8k range plus oars. LOA 4.2m, total beam 1.8m, complete set-up weight 55kg (Main hull fitted out is about 35kg of that)
Let me know what ya think.
Attachments
Render 2.png
Render 11.png
Render 11.png (26.97 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
Render 10.png
Render 8.png

Hodgey
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: Hodgey

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Cool looking design.

The potential price point is too high for me though. I'd need to see a pretty compelling argument for why this row boat would be a better option than a kayak.

What are the main benefits?

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:21 pm

I always wanted to build a lightweight rowing skiff when I was involved in the industry. Then I rowed straight into the side of a boat in Leigh Harbour!! :$ :headbang:
Now I'd rather see where I'm going :lol:

Glass is Class.. dedant

Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Something like this ?? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 755154.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:48 pm

And you can get these boats in New Zealand too. http://wintechracing.com/adaptive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jedijay
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: GT

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 pm

I see too many things in the way that would make it impossible to fish. The amas would get in the way when landing a fish and the oars would need to be able to fold away when not needed. There would need to be a big benefit in using a row boat over a kayak, especially when it comes with a $7k price tag.

kea999
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.5- 4.3 -465 - 480

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:13 am

Have thought about waka ama and rowable craft from what ive seen for the price you may as well get a small tinny with motor , if you can build a light rowing skiff with no out riggers go for it

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:16 am

I spent bit of time thinking about this. Going backwards would be easily resolved by a little camera and screen.

There are few kitset and/or plan monohull designs - stitch and glue, strip plank etc. CLC have the Expedition Wherry, John Wellsford in NZ has a few designs for expedition row-boats. Angus boats also worth looking at.

I gave up on the idea in the end because they needed to be ~16ft long to be seaworthy and cut through the water nicely, and I don't have room.

I think it could get awkward with a trimaran design. Although it's stable, the oars have to be much longer.

Allows a nice lure spread though!
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Hodgey
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: Hodgey

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Have thought about waka ama and rowable craft from what ive seen for the price you may as well get a small tinny with motor , if you can build a light rowing skiff with no out riggers go for it
x2

Rowing Fisher

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. The carbon coastal boat that winch posted the link to looks pretty neat - I'd seen it previously but concerned about it's stability at rest without the oars and hence trying to do something with a bit of volume in the amas for stability. Jedijay brings up a good point with all the stuff in the way when landing fish which I hadn't considered. Doing away with the amas will bring a reasonable price drop but i'll always be against it with the additional equipment necessary for efficient rowing.
Cheers for the comments and feel free to add more.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:46 pm

I think the outriggers and oars would be manageable. You really just need provision to park the oars while you play a fish, and potentially a bit of padding to stop the line getting into any awkward nooks and crannies

Guys fish off Hobie adventure Islands which are a tri set up.

Might be some useful information on there forums.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information