Setting a Cray Pot

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Smeg
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2462

After 3 attempts at setting a cray pot with no takers - I've come to the forum for advice.

Anyone out set cray pots from there yak/boat have any tricks or bait suggestions for setting one of these?

I've gone for the more sturdy option for these (see photo) and I've cable tied an old paint bucket with the end cut out as I've been told it will last longer and supposedly catches more cray?

The heavier pot introduces a whole new weight training exercise to the usual muscle set used in paddling.
Attachments
CrayPot-CPC700-ActionOutdoors-1.kiwi.jpg
PB# 57cm Snapper
PB# 54cm Trevally
PB# 59cm Kahawai
PB# 51cm John Dory

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler
Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

I have tried half a dozen times with no luck myself. What I have heard is that the bait needs to be tied down so they can't get it from the outside and they don't like anything that moves around in tide. With your solid pot I don't think there's any chance of that
WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Not speaking from personal experience but I've heard that....
a.) Shiny new galv pots and
b.) Pots that flex/move

Tend to spook crayfish.
So yeah, the heavier pot is a good move and yip, keep the bait well secured.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09
Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

My old man leaves his new pots in the sea for a couple of months before he uses them . I think to get rid of electrolysis .
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

I've got an old beehive shaped pot and I've tried a few times in Sandy Bay, Coromandel where the locals have stacks of pots lined up at the same depth. But so far nothing!

I have noticed a guy with a little tiny motoring past all the cray pots early morning and wondered whether he stops at mine before I'm able to get there myself, but I guess that's just me being paranoid.

My current thinking is that I need to work on the bait:
1) Find out exactly what people recommend and use that. Can't remember what I've read now, but there is lots of advice on the type of bait to use. I think chicken left in the sun might be one of them?
2) Work on a plan for the bait holder in my garage. Every time I take some meshy material with me and think I'll just do something down by the water, but I think I need to put more thought into it. As has been said, make sure the bait can't be reached from the outside and also that it's pretty securely attached to withstand 8-12 hours of cray-tampering if I'm going to leave it out all night.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland
Dreadfish
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

there are a few threads about pot setting ... mainly from Rainbow as he does it a bit
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro
Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Ok the key with Cray pots is having them set as close as possible to Cray "holes", crays are habitual and frequent the same rocks so if you can find where they hang out and set the pot next to the hole you have a much better chance...

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk
MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Overnight setting makes a big difference.

I've done lot of diving for crayfish and it's very, very rare to see them out of their hidey holes during the day.

Ageing metal pots is important, crayfish are sensitive to electrical fields. New metal creates an electric field as it oxidises.

They don't like to climb up anything with too much give in it.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side
Smeg

Good advice guys! thanks a bunch!
PB# 57cm Snapper
PB# 54cm Trevally
PB# 59cm Kahawai
PB# 51cm John Dory

Caveman
Kayak Make: Ocean River
Kayak Model: Freedom

Barracuda heads wired or cable tied bottom middle out of reach was the gem of the Hawkes Bay commercial guys in the 80's. I wonder if it has changed?

I'm a retired Townsend & Paul bait boy from Awatoto.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
R.S.J

heres an old post. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17338

We used the orange pots on the coms boats up north cape 3 kings but a bit big fr some little pots though, just clip them in somewhere away from the opening and sides. We still use all 3 types in Akaroa with great success using big rusty pots with half buckets on the openings. fresh bait is best and don't pack to tight in burley pots. Watch where you drop the cray pots with netting, if it gets caught up on rocks its hard to try and break away on a kayak and a risk of rolling over. And it burns up energy pretty quick, it's like battling a stuck anchor x10and you really want it back(try do that while current and swell is trying to push you on the rocks if your close to shore! :tmi: ). I look on sounder fr the rock pins or rugged reefs etc and do a few passes over, then make sure I drop it on flatish ground as possible away from it. I've had more luck diving for them in welly, had the odd crays in pots here but more carpet sharks(heavy lifting on a yak) and octopus. There's a local out makara that still sets pots off his yak, he sets in arvo and picks up first light before everyone helps themselves to the crays or the whole pot! . I had one go missing from around plim point couple of years ago.
Smeg

...cray pot - update...

I've currently got the pot soaking in Malt Vinegar and salted water (it was also suggested to sand blast the galvanised frame and use some Hydro-peroxide by some movie set painters down here in Wellywood) although that would not have the desired effect on the mesh rope.

watch this space.

PS - delay due to work/life commitments - bring on the Hols!
PB# 57cm Snapper
PB# 54cm Trevally
PB# 59cm Kahawai
PB# 51cm John Dory

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

I don't see the point of sand-blasting the galv. You want the galv oxidised/dull. Once the galv is well oxidised it is much more stable from a redox perspective.

A spray of hydrogen peroxide will help with this, although most available solutions are very dilute e.g. 6%
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side