Waihi Beach Area .

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Hey guys im on the scrounge for some local intell for Waihi Beach area . Ill be spending New Years down there for the first time and don't the area what so ever .
Im presumeing the beach itself is a surf launch which doesn't appeal to me much but if that's the case then so be it !
Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Easy surf beach north end under the cliffs you will of had worse. mostly sand, fish in close in the evening and there are some reefs out about 3km or past the 30m mark that hold kings, lots of boats from Bowentown heading north so keep your eyes open....
kea999
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.5- 4.3 -465 - 480

North end of waihi beach easiest and usually most sheltered , mostly fish whiritoa down toward waihi flat as a pancake in spring westerlies { today } fishing wont set your world on fire but usually catch something , lots of boats from waihi and whanga and the pair trawlers visit regularly 6 percent biomas left in bop pretty sad really firth is close and always the best option if you want better fishing
GOPR0155.JPG
coast down from whiritoa pretty but not that fishy always a chance for a king
HookiT
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Yep as Winch and Kea have said. North end launch. No real need to go north, straight off the surf club can be good. Depending on time of tide in close of out to 12/20 meters.
Mark I shall add that there is some good fishing 'up' the harbor that time of the year. If going from Anzac Bay great care needs to be taken. Incoming tide good as you well know, but when the tide runs out bar, lot of current, needs to be timed well. I do not consider this being undertaken by inexperienced kayakers.

Again talk to a few locals for knowledge. Drop into butcher shop, (wilson road) have a yarn with Marcus Burndred, fish crayfish scollies, ect. :y: Best of luck, not always that great at that time of the year.
piwikiwi
Kayak Model: PF400

Downtown and Ruff sometimes head up there and launch at the North end. Never heard of anything big caught but they get a feed. The walk over the hill is really awesome and looks fishy but again never heard of anything big pulled out of there.
HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Have caught nice fish all along coast at different times. Homunga bay in around the eight odd meters just futher up cock rock in again the 8/12m but this seems to fish best in the Autumn.
Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

As the boys have said, the sand ramp at the northern end of Waihi beach is protected, sweet as in anything under a meter. We usually head two bays north then scout out the shallows, then drift off shore as the sun gets up. Not many big snaps but some nice JDs and trevs. Flick me a P.M. I might still be around and ill join you! :y:
Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Hey thanks for the replies guys . That gives me something to work with . :y: