Help struggling getting the Kayak to the water

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
ash1
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:13 pm

Just started kayak fishing and love it but really struggling getting the kayak off the roof and to the water by myself. Hate it when I turn up and the tide is out! I'm 60kg and have a Predator 13

Any tips or tricks to getting them on and off the roof?

Also seen some kayak carts but not sure which is best to get?

Thanks in advance!

Ash

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Here's one of a few options for loading......

http://www.roofrackcentre.co.nz/shop/Wa ... oller.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as trolleys go, it's down to budget.
C-Tug is popular on a mid sized budget, Wheelez are the best :y:
http://www.vikingkayaks.co.nz/shop/acce ... c+tug+1029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.beachwheels.co.nz/shop/kayak ... eleez-wz1-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a C Tug and now own a big SUV. I'm not tall and only 70kg, I just flip my C Tug upside down and bungee cord I think to the back hatch, lift the bow onto the wheels, walk to the back of the kayak, lift and walk forward.

......or find a fishing buddy that owns a wheelez :lol:
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:15 pm

Here's me lifting my P13 onto my sedan. Got a Predator XL now, but it's the same deal.

You need 2 trolleys for that, but I think it's worth it.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:33 pm

I struggled getting my 4.1 onto the roof of my van , an exercise I still do when I travel out of the district ( not that often), and then for short trips I used to load it into the van and have a bit of it hanging out the back, with the back hatch bungeed down.This exercise came to an end when I had to stop suddenly and the kayak punched through the windscreen from the inside!
Now i use a trailer , and a set of C Tug wheels. not only is the lifting less dramatic , but you don't get saltwater all over your vehicle , and its surprising how quickly that causes the van to deteriorate.

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:08 pm

Go to -
http://www.kask.org.nz/category/equipment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scroll down to "Kayak Transport and Loading" and see some of the options there.
Go to -
http://www.kask.org.nz/t-bar-kayak-trolley/#more-337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To see how to make your own trolley.
And do tie the ends of the kayak to the vehicle though with such a short kayak there is not as much wind twisting problem as with a long sea kayak.

novex
Kayak Make: Wavedance
Kayak Model: Kingfisher

Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:11 am

my home made loader works a treat, lift the front onto the roller, lift the back up, push on. reverse for unloading.

i have a c-tug but havnt used it so much since i can just drive the jimny down to the water normaly.

Daniel
Karitane based and happy to travel a bit for some good fishing.
- 0220664711 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/dunedinkayakfishing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ash1

Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:31 pm

Hey thanks everyone for all the replies and suggestions. Some great ways to load the kayak on the roof!

So for the cart, looks like its down to the C-tug or the Wheeleez?

Anyone compared them side by side? Is it worth paying the extra for the Wheeleez?

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Disclaimer: I was sponsored by Beach wheels nz who are the importers for wheeleez.

I Have found the wheeleez to be amazing, handling every terrain that ive used them on with ease, even in the softest sand and with the kayak fully loaded with dive gear and catch they have managed to "float" across the fluffy lose sand. I have talked to several people who have owned ctugs and changed to the wheeleez and the only complaint that they have is the inability to break the wheeleez down to store in the kayak - meaning a trip back to the vehicle to stow.

Hope this helps...

lespresso
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:45 pm

I have a predator 13. I started with c-tug wheels, then the c-tug tracks or whatever they were called (better on sand, less good on hard surfaces obviously), then I went to the mini wheeleez because the frame and wheels will fit in the front hatch but the frame is too narrow to adequately support a P13 and the small diameter wheels mean it is very easy to grind the tail when crossing the road. Eventually bit the bullet and got the full fat wheeleez. A lot more gold, but it would have been a lot less expensive to buy them first. The full size wheels fit in the front hatch on the P13 and the frame slides nicely under the seat even in the low position. Oh and get the inflation kit too as you'll only be paying two lots of postage like I did when you order it a week later. They are easily the best I've tried but they could still be improved on in my view.
Ocean Kayak Trident 15 (2017)

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:00 pm

If it's in your budget go Wheelez.

I've used both and Wheelez are by far superior but with a price to match.
Wheelez will climb over rocks, pebbles, driftwood and soft sand better.

P.S

I'm not sponsored by Wheelez but happily would be :lol:
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

Smeg
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2462

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:16 pm

I've a C-Tug for my Prowler 4.3 and although I don't have a long way to 'tug' here in Wgtn - it can be a struggle (I use it as a workout-there's usually a few people on the beach so I get my Arnie face on :sweat: and heave it up across the terrain) I feel the clips on the C-tug are not terribly strong so I'm considering changing these.

When I enter the water I load up the Yak at the car then tug it to the waters edge - on the return I empty it completly with trips to and from the car, then tow it up from the shore to the car (as I'm usually well buggered after splashing around in the ocean :lol: )

My issue is getting the Yak from the c-tug onto the roof racks. It's usually with a clean and jerk action and a few curse words :swear: - again I see it as a challenge and try to improve on every attempt (my gym membership would help if I attended :$ )

In summary - my recommendations would be aligned to the WheelEz (from what others have suggested.

that's my 2 cents :rock:
PB# 57cm Snapper
PB# 54cm Trevally
PB# 59cm Kahawai
PB# 51cm John Dory

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler

lespresso
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:19 pm

for getting it up on top take a look at the Thule Hullavator, i think 898 is the current model?

I'm very tempted but I'm not sure if Thule have built it for the rigours of saltwater - will it fizz away before my eyes like a berocca?
Ocean Kayak Trident 15 (2017)

Andy2014
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Cabo

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:45 pm

I have a caryak loading bar which works fine for loading a 4.9m double onto a Hilux surf. Fairly low tech solution checkout the caryak YouTube video to see how is works. Also I sometimes just put a towel on the back of the surf and drag it off the back. Once the back of the kayak can rest on the ground you can lift off the front.

ash1

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Hey just wanted to thank everyone for their help and advice. I took the advice on Wheeleez and they have been amazing!!!

I cant believe how much easier it is to get across the beach even for me. After I got it I managed to try a friends C-Tug and it took all my strength to get across the beach and felt I'd used half my energy before I even got on the water.

Also on the website there was a video showing how to reverse the cart for easy roof loading and thats helped so much too.

http://www.beachwheels.co.nz/shop/kayak ... ez-wz1-kcb

All I need now is for that dreaded wind to stop blowing!!!

Avidangler
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident Ultra 4.3

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi there Ash1,

Thanks so much for this post, it has been very informative. And thanks to all who added their comments and advise.

I am also new to Kayak fishing, in fact so new that I haven't even put a kayak in the water yet. I have been battling with which wheels to get so that I don't battle when I do get to the beach. I am now on the verge of ordering my wheeleez, but I'm not sure which model will best suit my kayak. I have just bought a Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3.

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:52 am

So the tyres for Wheeleez, are the tubes. Has any person had a problem with them going flat or otherwise.

$139.99-$169 Per tyre, one would not want too many problems arising from their use.

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:25 pm

Question for those with the wheeleez. who uses the 'rail Kit' ? If you do so what make of yak ? cheers

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:30 pm

Useful tips on tyre repair....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eZDl9KTRQ
Blazer60
In between ships ZMW5911
Any Stealths for sale?

Big Al
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMV8091

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi ash1
Re loading kayaks on roof, I recently bought a swivel loader from a kayak shop in Dunedin.
Tube sits on tow bar , as per bike carriers ,has an internal pipe with a U shaped piece on top to sit end of kayak in.
So process is lift back of kayak into loader, then pick up front and place on roof rack.
It also gives a 3rd support to roof racks and I am finding it excellent, disadvantage is the yak has to be at 90 deg to car so could be a pain if you have to park on busy roads.
So far not a problem for me.
There is a roller option I understand for rear loading if preferred.

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:51 pm

HookiT wrote:Question for those with the wheeleez. who uses the 'rail Kit' ? If you do so what make of yak ? cheers
Yep I use the rail kit for my pinnacle elite, without it the deep v in the kayak hit the bar between the padding on the trolly. As a bonus the rails hold the kayak higher giving better ground clearance for over rough ground...

• Information