A lot can happen in a weekend - advice needed on repair

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Pope
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7

Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:34 am

20160403_072031.jpg
I had great plans for the weekend with a charter to Great Barrier. Weather mentioned that the planned trip was cancelled at the last minute which wasn't unexpected as I had been tracking the forecast for a week.

Those who know me well known I'm an optimist and I was fully packed and ready just in case. This has happened previously with a trip to Curvier Island and my immediate thoughts are where to go to make the most of the time off work and still fish safely. On the previous cancelled trip I met up with Waikatoyakka and KK. For some epic Northland fishing which eventually mentioned that I purchased a holiday home in the region where some monsters were caught.

So the decision was easy this time and I headed north again. There was a bit of wind and rain about on Friday so used the time to check out potential new laughing spots.

Saturday started with a early from Bland Bay with a forecast 25KN gusting 35KN easing after lunch
Actual wind was less and it was sheltered on the northern side of the bay for some close in fishing before heading out later when the wind dropped. Plenty of snapper but all about the 35cm so wasn't keeping. Headed out wider late morning and the were massive schools of fish from another 35 to 40m. SMall bait fish being smashed by KY, blue Mao Mao, KY being chased by Kingies and what looked like tuna rocketing through.

Tried all trolling and jigging but couldn't easier a Kingies. So only finished with 3 respectable but not huge snapper.

Part of the exercise was to test my new sounder after my previous one finally died from a surf linch a few years ago. I went with an upgrade to a Helex 7 with down imaging and GPS. This way I could continue to use my transducers which I had mounted in both my kayaks. I worked well and definitely an improvement on the 597 model I previously owned. There is so many display options and it takes some time to distill down to the owns to make the most use of. What I like over the previous is bigger display so I have mounted it further back and off the life on my Stealth. The GPS has a slip screen so you can track your drift close in while also looking at the wider area. The Charting detail is enhanced and I can see be detail same as what you get on the Navionics sonar charts. The split screens between sounder and GPS can be adjusted so the split is where you want. For meeting I like to see more sonor on the screen and less GPS as only interested in direction of drift and marking spots. I have gone with one of the Rob Fort sounder covers and this works well and the sun shade while probably not need due to the Bechtel screen does keep the rain and some salt spray off the screen cover.

Anyway coming into the beach there was a lot of seaweed on the sand but it was hiding one sharp rock. So hitting it at speed was not a good idea. I now have a split in the bottom of my glass kayak. Because it goes all the way through I don't want to attempt a repair myself even though I have all the materials. Does anyone know a good fibreglass repair place in Auckland that is used to working on kayaks?

So what is someone to do with a days fishing left? Well it is easy when you have multiple kayaks so out come my 4.7 ultra for a fish a a new northern spot. Without naming it directly it has limited parking and one of the most challenging access roads I have some across. Thankfully I had my Wheelie cart as my other ones would not have got the heavy beast fact off the beach. Fishing was great with a nice 50cm snapper landed on the first cast. Plenty of smaller 35cm snapper landed but only keep 3 total. Saw a few sharks but only the small 3 foot models. I suspect that the bigger ones were there also. Water clarity was fantastic and it was easy to fish the weed line visually. Drifted in and out 3 to 4 km down the coast fishing the wash and exploring. Definitely will be back to this one.

Never saw a fishing boat and only one boat under sail a few kms off shore over the weekend. Had about 14 hours in the water and in some very remote places with little landing spots. I will add some decent tape to the safety kit in future as I tend to land on rocky beaches and don't want to get stranded because of a hole in the yak.
1.jpg
1.jpg (202.04 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (114.8 KiB) Viewed 2028 times

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Bugger about the Stealth Greg :( I don't know anyone in Auckland that's worked on glass kayaks either, sorry.

At least you had the plastic for day two and sounds like you get a feed out of it too :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Dreadfish
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:26 pm

shame you arent in Welly as Carboglass build Glass yaks. might pay to even ring them and see if they use anyone in Auckland

http://www.carboglass.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

InSalt
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:18 pm

I got the below from the Fenn Kayak NZ site. I have used Graham Cawood for a surf ski repair and can recommend him although his web site has disappeared so maybe not doing it anymore.

Graham Cawood
Mt Wellington
Tel: 021 298 8513 or 09 270 3787

David Ogier
Takapuna
Tel: 021 156 3461 or 09 422 6117

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Maybe Winch could help

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:35 pm

Big k wrote:Maybe Winch could help
That's a good call..... I seem to remember that Rusty had a major incident a couple of years back and Winch sorted him out !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

kernels
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish Reload

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:45 pm

That scratch looks like it's just through the paint ? Has it gone all the way through the fibreglass too?

Pope

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:13 pm

kernels wrote:That scratch looks like it's just through the paint ? Has it gone all the way through the fibreglass too?
Unfortunately yes. Either side of the cut are sitting about 3 to 4mm different on the plane. Suspect need to sand out completely then build back up.

GHOST RIDER
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: 525

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:25 pm

Got a bit of damage to my shealth when I had it and got a repair kit from burnsco and it came with some gelcoat for about $35 :y:
That spot is one of our local spots we fish a bit :x
Attachments
FB_IMG_1459754100020.jpg
FB_IMG_1459754100020.jpg (15.03 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Stealth 525
KARMA as i fish out of a kayak i don't eat shark

Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:34 pm

Gordon at Barracuda kayaks Silverdale would be the best person in the Auckland area to take it too.

Pope

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:31 am

Winch wrote:Gordon at Barracuda kayaks Silverdale would be the best person in the Auckland area to take it too.
Thanks Winch. I talked with Gordon and they don't do repairs on equipment they haven't sold. I respect that. He put me onto Ding King in Silverdale who repair surfboards but also all the local surf ski's. Booked in for a repair.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Mental wrote:Bugger about the Stealth Greg :( I don't know anyone in Auckland that's worked on glass kayaks either, sorry.

At least you had the plastic for day two and sounds like you get a feed out of it too :y:

Hmmm - :hai: Pm'd ya

Pope

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:07 pm

all sorted thanks to Tom at Ding King in Silverdale. He fixes all sorts of surfcraft including surfboards, paddle boards, surf skis and now fishing kayaks. :y:

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:42 pm

Pope wrote:all sorted thanks to Tom at Ding King in Silverdale. He fixes all sorts of surfcraft including surfboards, paddle boards, surf skis and now fishing kayaks. :y:
Choice - glad it worked out , cheers.

• Information