Duct Sealer transducer mount

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Yakadaka
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8913

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:59 pm

So I have a hummingbird sounder with 20cm long transducer which unfortunately is too long for my OK 4.7 transducer skupper so I wish to mount the transducer in the bottom of the yak and fire down through the hull.

I have seen some interesting articles about using duct sealer to make a well and then putting some water in then sealing it up. Unfortunately I can't seem to find this product in NZ. Has anyone tried Bostick plumbers putty instead? Other ideas?

salty yakker
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayaks
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.3

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:50 pm

Yakadaka wrote:So I have a hummingbird sounder with 20cm long transducer which unfortunately is too long for my OK 4.7 transducer skupper so I wish to mount the transducer in the bottom of the yak and fire down through the hull.

I have seen some interesting articles about using duct sealer to make a well and then putting some water in then sealing it up. Unfortunately I can't seem to find this product in NZ. Has anyone tried Bostick plumbers putty instead? Other ideas?
Use selleys all clear just have to make sure there is no air bubbles in it
Ocean Kayak ULTRA 4.3
http://www.nskfc.org.nz

novex
Kayak Make: Wavedance
Kayak Model: Kingfisher

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:40 pm

i was condsidering the well idea a while ago and came up with what i consider a better solution if you want the transducer in water.

it will be a lot easier with a flat bottom kayak, however you could adjust it for a keeled one.

my plan was to take a snap lock lid container (thickest plastic walls you can get) and cut out the bottom leaving a 10mm lip around (or cut to fit the keel shape), and then all clear that to the bottom of the yak.
while thats setting, drill a hole in the lid large enough to fit the wires through, and come up with a way to seal it (i would use a gripper gland cos im a cabler and have them handy) then mount the transducer on the inside of the lid.
once the all clear is set, you can fill the container with water, clip on the lid and go.
Daniel
Karitane based and happy to travel a bit for some good fishing.
- 0220664711 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/dunedinkayakfishing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:01 pm

Orrrr......

Grab a 10mm foam sleeping/yoga mat
Cut a series of rings to fit reasonably snugly around the puck, but should be a tad sloppy to allow air to escape when filling
Laminate these progressively onto the hull (I used Ados F3, check the first one has sealed by filling with some water and leaving overnight)
If all good, then progressively add more laminates until level with the top of the puck.
The top laminate should be appreciably smaller to a) hold the puck in place, and b) stops any spillage when on the water.
fit puck into well and glue top laminate on.

To use, just add whatever water is needed to wet out the puck (on mine it's only 75ml)

Minimal water being poured into the hull, and the laminate technique follows even the most convoluted hull profile.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

aqua bee
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 400 lite

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:37 pm

I looked at using a click clack container with the bottom cut out filled with glycerol but never got round to installing it
Perception swing (blue)
Perception swing (yellow/green)
Viking 400 lite (yellow/black)

piwikiwi
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF400

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:03 pm

I keep it simple like HLD but used an open PVC pipe end ( bought at Bunnings ) and selleys allcleared to the hull. I just sit the tranny in there and add a little water at the start of each trip from my drink bottle. Been going strong for about 7 years :y:

bigreddog

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:13 am

Will the down scan still work through the hull?

Yakadaka
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8913

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm all for keeping it simple. The reason I like the sealer is, if the sealer fails I can beach the yak and re mould the sealer and away I go. If a more permanent glue fails that's it until next trip. However piwikiwi 7 years is awesome for a bond to hold out!

Fishless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Fishless

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Down scan works fine, anything with side scan won't.
Personal Bests

Snapper - 64 cm
Kingfish - 110cm 17kg
Kahawai - 57 cm

• Information