Tauranga yak fishos - advice?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
murf
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:43 am

Hey guys, I was running a Lean Six Sigma course in Auckland this week and one of my clients, nice Welsh chappy from Tauranga - was intrigued by my screen saver (same pic as my Avatar) as he had thought about having a go at kayak fishing, but is rather cautious as he doesn't know much about fishing and hasn't kayaked much if at all. A good reason for caution but all the more to have a go I reckon!

He has been looking at entry level kayaks ("something cheap to get started") but didn't know much about them so I armed him with a list of suitable models should he see a good deal around (he's a fairly big (tall) guy so I suggested Profish, Prowler etc).

I also extolled the virtues of the like-minded folk that inhabit this here forum and suggested if he gets serious to have a look and gather some info (esp safety section). I'm going to flick him a link as encouragement, but is there anywhere he could go and likely bump into any of you fellas to get an idea of what's what? I remember in my early stages seeing some guys paddling through the cut in Nelson and pulled over to meet them on the beach to get a look at their set ups and it helped me heaps.

I'll encourage him to jump on and say gidday himself as well of course ;) but any suggestions welcome.

G Dog
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:24 pm

Send him here Murf. Plenty of friendly chaps.
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/bop-yak ... ge529.html

murf

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:41 pm

Awesome, thanks G Dog :y:

Welsh Robbo

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi there

As introduced by murf (thank you) I am that very same Welsh chappy.

Yes I am interested in kayak fishing - but acknowledge (and was reminded by my Kiwi wife) that my knowledge of kayaking and fishing individually are relatively low - and then combined you could fit on the back of the handbook of great Rugby World Cup Welsh finals!!!

I believe (and am happy to be corrected) that I therefore need to first learn about kayaks and kayaking. Then separately learn about fishing (but focus this on the type of fishing that I would do from a kayak from Tauranga). Then put the two skills together.

As murf says - I am tall 6' 4'' (or 190 cm in new money).

So whatever help / guidance can be put my way would be appreciated.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

NZkayaker, Tim Taylor is from your neck of the woods, you need look no further ;)
Oh, welcome aboard!

Glass is Class.. dedant

scottyboy

Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Tim would be a good one to contact as can take you out and run through the basics both kayaking and fishing.
He can also sort you out with great kayak deals to get you out there more regularly.
Good bunch of guys go out pretty regularly 2 who am sure you can tag along with - me included- most BOP guys are more active on the other forum but.

SmallBoatBigOcean
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:40 pm

X3 for Tim, I've yet to do a surf entry course with him but I'm sure it will be money well spent. We're all pretty friendly here and love a good chat with like minded people!

aqua bee
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 400 lite

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Surf course is well worth it
Perception swing (blue)
Perception swing (yellow/green)
Viking 400 lite (yellow/black)

nzkayaker
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: NZ Kayaker

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:36 am

Hey Welsh Robo,

I'm the Tim as mentioned above - based in the Mount and my business lives and breathes kayak fishing (NZ Kayaker). Feel free to get in contact if you want a yarn or if you need some help. I give away a lot of my info for free, run free fishing trips, as well as offering lessons etc.

http://www.nzkayaker.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tim@nzkayaker.com
027 668 9904

Oh and cheers to all the boys who recommended me in the above posts...such an awesome group that we have here in NZ!
Proudly supported by Viking Kayaks, Sharkskin, Kokotat and Lowrance.

murf

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:18 am

Awesome stuff guys :y:

Welcome aboard Welsh Robbo, looks like you're in good hands now mate!

• Information