Fish the Poor Knight islands for $1350

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

AndrewRawlingson wrote:So what was the excuse for the undersize snapper in the live bait tank?
Missed that one Andrew ?
AndrewRawlingson

awondering wrote:Missed that one Andrew ?
Check out the FaceBook link that Rob posted. Since we are vouching for people. I would describe Kevin Delonge, the skipper of Mazurka (the dive boat that the DOC officers were on) as a good friend of mine. I've spent many weekends at the Poor Knights with Kevin and have no reason to doubt anything he says at all.
Downtown
Kayak Model: PF440

Come on Andrew its pretty easy to mistake small snaps for jack macs when your fishing in a reserve you forgot was a reserve :^)
MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Check out the FaceBook link that Rob posted. Since we are vouching for people. I would describe Kevin Delonge, the skipper of Mazurka (the dive boat that the DOC officers were on) as a good friend of mine. I've spent many weekends at the Poor Knights with Kevin and have no reason to doubt anything he says at all.
The vouching is for the guys on Enchanter Andrew not for the skipper of mazurka... Please don't confuse the 2, there seems to be a bit of blurryness from the get go and even original post links in the wrong boat Vs his scorn. That said I was aware there was supposed to be more to the story than met the eye but agree if it was actually caught fishing in the reserve at anchor then its a very light penalty.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...
awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

MadMike wrote:
AndrewRawlingson wrote:
The vouching is for the guys on Enchanter Andrew not for the skipper of mazurka... Please don't confuse the 2, there seems to be a bit of blurryness from the get go and even original post links in the wrong boat Vs his scorn. That said I was aware there was supposed to be more to the story than met the eye but agree if it was actually caught fishing in the reserve at anchor then its a very light penalty.
Geez so who did what ? I am a simple man :|
Downtown

The guys on the cova rose got caught fishing in the middle of the reserve with dead snaps on board as well as undersized snaps in the livey tank. The more that comes out the worse it looks really.
RobEdward
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7966

MadMike wrote:
...even original post links in the wrong boat Vs his scorn....
Oh come on Mike.

I get asked if its the one on Facebook, I say yes (because it's the one on Facebook but a different one) and you think this somehow muddies it? How much of a discount are you getting in your next charter for this?? LOL
•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•

OK Prowler 4.3
Perception Swing

ZMU 7699
Badassfisher
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3
VHF Call Sign: Badass

Monique says your dumb :lol:
MadMike

RobEdward wrote:
MadMike wrote:
...even original post links in the wrong boat Vs his scorn....
Oh come on Mike.

I get asked if its the one on Facebook, I say yes (because it's the one on Facebook but a different one) and you think this somehow muddies it? How much of a discount are you getting in your next charter for this?? LOL
Nice try But alas no discount... I think you need to read my posts a little more carefully before pointing the finger at what I have said... No where do I state I condone, nor do I defend. In fact my last post say he got off lightly if there weren't other circumstances. That said the Rec's that got done in there over summer got even less, not more than a naughty boy don't do it again. And sorry I assumed you were talking about a different one without actually visiting the links...
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...
AndrewRawlingson

MadMike wrote: The vouching is for the guys on Enchanter Andrew not for the skipper of mazurka... Please don't confuse the 2
I'm not confusing anything. Not sure how you managed to misread my post. I am vouching for the crew of Mazurka.
AndrewRawlingson

Downtown wrote:Come on Andrew its pretty easy to mistake small snaps for jack macs when your fishing in a reserve you forgot was a reserve :^)
True :@
dyls
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish440

the plot thickens
Attachments
10455399_1570838393173744_4605268889802905245_n.jpg
10455399_1570838393173744_4605268889802905245_n.jpg (8.14 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Viking reload
Viking profish 440(retired)
Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

AndrewRawlingson wrote:So what was the excuse for the undersize snapper in the live bait tank?
I don't know if this is why he had the undersized snap on board but for years the charter boats have been transporting small snaps up to the three kings in their live bait tanks, by all accounts there is now a fairly healthy population up there.
MadMike wrote:

Mike on the face of it it does seem like a light penalty but when you look a little deeper then it may be a little more justified, firstly take into account Steven's previously clean record, his early guilty plea and obvious remorse. Then factor in that the offending was on the relatively minor scale compared to some other cases . Finally you have to remember that Steven is an employee and is only on a wage - not making mega bucks or the owner of the boat as some seem to believe that he is, I would bet that the $1350 dollars coming out of his pocket is going to hurt him a lot more than a lot of you think...
Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

"I don't know if this is why he had the undersized snap on board but for years the charter boats have been transporting small snaps up to the three kings in their live bait tanks, by all accounts there is now a fairly healthy population up there."

That seems like a very strange thing to do . Why would they be transporting a small amount of Snapper in livebait tanks up to the Three Kings and if that is even true is legal ? :^)
Downtown

Badassfisher wrote:
was live baiting for John Dory :lol:
Don't know about the giggling face but a hell of a lot more likely
Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Kingfish killer wrote:"I don't know if this is why he had the undersized snap on board but for years the charter boats have been transporting small snaps up to the three kings in their live bait tanks, by all accounts there is now a fairly healthy population up there."

That seems like a very strange thing to do . Why would they be transporting a small amount of Snapper in livebait tanks up to the Three Kings and if that is even true is legal ? :^)
I think the general idea is to provide some different species to target while up there but what do I know, I'm just going by what I've been told by a guy who has done several trips up there as a deckie on a couple of different boats, obviously having an undersized snapper in the tank is not legal however....
MadMike

From Encharter Charters.
Hi all, Just been made aware of this thread and it makes some very interesting reading, so I feel it needs a post for some clarity.

First and foremost Cova Rose was on a private delivery trip with a few of Steve’s friends on board, it was not on charter. What happen on the day was confirmed by steve and the doc staff so i take that as gospel. They had a few days fishing their way up to mangonui and had stopped at the Poor Knights to check out the cave and some of the sights, on coming out of the cave one of the guy’s yelled look there are some big snapper on the edge of the rocks there and grabbed the nearest rod and began fishing, Steve and the other friend joined in. They had been fishing only for 10mins or so when steve noticed a small tinnie approaching, everyone continued fishing and when approached a lady on board said Hi guy’s what are you up to, Steve replied we are catching some snapper, the lady replied do you know this is a marine reserve, Steve replied Oh F@#k and put his head down, she replied so you know the poor knights is protected as a reserve, steve replied yes but i got completely caught up in the moment. They had two snapper on board that they had caught there, and 6 baby snapper in the livebait tank that had been there for several days. They all were charged with fishing in a marine reserve.

The cold hard facts, The fishing gear was confiscated, Doc did a plea bargain with steve stating if he pleaded guilty they would drop the charges against his friends and he would get a light fine.

What he did was F@#kin stupid but it wasn’t a planned mission to fish a marine reserve and sneak snapper out, he never once tried to hide what they were doing. The baby snaps in the livie tank we do on this boat (Enchanter) and other well known charter boats as well. Get released at the Three Kings islands, we have been doing this for many years and we have seen over the last ten years the snapper numbers growing at the Three kings, there will be many people on this site that have fished with us and released snapper at the kings and many who have caught snapper at the kings and been told by me to return them. Steve’s arse has been fryed hard, his ego bruised, and his wallet made a fair bit lighter with having to replace the fishing gear and small fine. He is still employed by us (just), This is what happened it was a stupid mistake. I hope this sheds some light on the matter, there will be some who will say bollocks and want blood and heads to roll, but it is the facts

Regards Lance Goodhew Enchanter fishing Charters
Badassfisher
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3
VHF Call Sign: Badass

Thank you for this update MadMike. :beer:
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Hey, I accept it was a mistake and it's probably been taken out of proportion, but I do call bollocks on some of that story.

You get "caught up in the moment" for a few seconds, not for however long it took to catch and land 2 snapper. And also you forget something like that when you're a bystander and have maybe been told once that this is a reserve, not when you do this for a living.

I accept fully that it was a mistake and the penalty has been paid and lesson learned. I just don't accept that it was quite as innocent or "accidental" as is being claimed.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland
Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

FatherOfMany wrote:Hey, I accept it was a mistake and it's probably been taken out of proportion, but I do call bollocks on some of that story.

You get "caught up in the moment" for a few seconds, not for however long it took to catch and land 2 snapper. And also you forget something like that when you're a bystander and have maybe been told once that this is a reserve, not when you do this for a living.

I accept fully that it was a mistake and the penalty has been paid and lesson learned. I just don't accept that it was quite as innocent or "accidental" as is being claimed.
I think you hit the nail on the head FOM . He didn't " forget " it was a reserve , no effing way ! Im sure he regrets it big time ( especially after getting caught ! )
Anyhow , this skipper might be a real good bloke and all that , BUT sometimes real good blokes make mistakes too !
The offence wasn't good but a minor offence , he got caught , got fined , lost some gear and worst of all will have this shame hanging over him forever .
I bet he wont do anything like this again .
Life is one big learning curve !