Fish the Poor Knight islands for $1350

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
RobEdward
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7966

The skipper of a luxury charter fishing boat has been fined $1350 after being caught red-handed fishing in the Poor Knights Islands Marine Reserve.

Steven Gray, the skipper of Cova Rose, was convicted and fined in the Whangarei District Court last month and earlier had fishing equipment forfeited after being caught with fish inside the reserve, near Riko Riko Cave, in March.

When Department of Conservation (DoC) staff carrying out underwater species monitoring boarded the Cova Rose, which Gray and two associates were on, they found two large snapper - 66cm and 70cm in length.
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advoca ... d=11458920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The courts basically let the prick off "scott free". What a joke.
•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•---•-•--•-•

OK Prowler 4.3
Perception Swing

ZMU 7699
RobEdward

This is the charter website here http://enchanter.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a contact link there if you don't feel the courts told him off enough ;0)

OK Prowler 4.3
Perception Swing

ZMU 7699
MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

I have a feeling there's more to the story than is being let on. Enchanter is world renowned. I seriously doubt they would intentionally fish within a marine reserve. It say's carried fish within the boundaries so I am wondering if it was caught out side the reserve and while at anchor for the evening got checked, and then charged... Sounds fishy at any rate!
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...
RobEdward

No. There's no excuse for it.

I personally know the skipper of the charter that sprung them. He and his crew witnessed lines in the water and as they approached a fish was pulled out of the water.

There is no excuse for a "renowned" charter to fish in what must be the most famous reserve in the country.

OK Prowler 4.3
Perception Swing

ZMU 7699
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

I don't know the back story either but interestingly this got raised about me on the weekend too when fishing at Cape Rodney in the Orton comp by who I can only assume was the commercial cray boat who was pulling up his pots (from just outside the reserve). "Looks like you are very close to the reserve there" came over the VHF, tongue in cheek I went back "Not close to the reserve mate, I'm in it!", Hainesy then very quickly followed up with "but no lines are down!" (which they weren't obviously) :lol:

The reserve thing has been discussed in the past too on a theoretical level when one event was held at Long Bay in Auckland, the idea was to have a big launch off the beach and some wanted to take fishing gear and then fish out past the reserve before returning to Long Bay of course through the reserve... So if you land on the beach with a bin full of fish where would you stand... Well in possession of fish that appear to have been caught in a reserve unless you can prove otherwise, which may well be what has happened to the guys in the first post above...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned
Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

RobEdward wrote:No. There's no excuse for it.

I personally know the skipper of the charter that sprung them. He and his crew witnessed lines in the water and as they approached a fish was pulled out of the water.

There is no excuse for a "renowned" charter to fish in what must be the most famous reserve in the country.
I could be mistaken, but was this the one which was kicking around on FB a few weeks ago along with some photos that showed the lines in the water along with comments that the boat was well inside the reserve by a few hundred metres ???
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Surprising TBH, very surprising, if in error very amateurish :!:
RobEdward

Hainesy wrote:

I could be mistaken, but was this the one which was kicking around on FB a few weeks ago along with some photos that showed the lines in the water along with comments that the boat was well inside the reserve by a few hundred metres ???
Yup that's the one.

OK Prowler 4.3
Perception Swing

ZMU 7699
Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

MadMike wrote:I have a feeling there's more to the story than is being let on. Enchanter is world renowned. I seriously doubt they would intentionally fish within a marine reserve. It say's carried fish within the boundaries so I am wondering if it was caught out side the reserve and while at anchor for the evening got checked, and then charged... Sounds fishy at any rate!
You're right there Mike there is more to the story. Steven was our skipper on our three kings trip and told us his side of the story, Basically it was his two friends on the boat that were fishing and they has forgotten that it was a reserve. Steven was pretty remorseful about the whole incident and I think that he would have learned the lesson from this event. I found that Steven had the up most respect for the marine environment and you have to remember that he is a young guy who in this case made a simple mistake.
Hainesy wrote:

No that was a different vessel - "Extreme limits" I believe...
Downtown
Kayak Model: PF440

Dunno Kerry that smells of bullshit to me. We forgot it was a reserve is a pretty average excuse for a charter skipper but better then then saying yeah we knew it was a reserve but didn't think we would get caught. There are always going to be different sides to every story but this one seems pretty clear cut, fishing in a reserve is straight shithouse. If it was genuinely a mistake then they have been punished and won't make that mistake again but i'm just really sceptical that a skipper on one of NZs most well known charter boats made a genuine mistake in this case.
Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Downtown wrote:Dunno Kerry that smells of bullshit to me. We forgot it was a reserve is a pretty average excuse for a charter skipper but better then then saying yeah we knew it was a reserve but didn't think we would get caught. There are always going to be different sides to every story but this one seems pretty clear cut, fishing in a reserve is straight shithouse. If it was genuinely a mistake then they have been punished and won't make that mistake again but i'm just really sceptical that a skipper on one of NZs most well known charter boats made a genuine mistake in this case.
Mate why would he intentionally break the rules when he is a young skipper just starting out and trying to build a name for himself? I fully believe that this was a simple mistake, and if you haven't made a few stupid mistakes then you can't be human.

By the way I wouldn't hesitate to go on another charter with him as a skipper he was awesome!
dyls
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish440

Kerry wrote:
Downtown wrote:Dunno Kerry that smells of bullshit to me. We forgot it was a reserve is a pretty average excuse for a charter skipper but better then then saying yeah we knew it was a reserve but didn't think we would get caught. There are always going to be different sides to every story but this one seems pretty clear cut, fishing in a reserve is straight shithouse. If it was genuinely a mistake then they have been punished and won't make that mistake again but i'm just really sceptical that a skipper on one of NZs most well known charter boats made a genuine mistake in this case.
Mate why would he intentionally break the rules when he is a young skipper just starting out and trying to build a name for himself? I fully believe that this was a simple mistake, and if you haven't made a few stupid mistakes then you can't be human.

By the way I wouldn't hesitate to go on another charter with him as a skipper he was awesome!
I agree totally Kerry I cant see a young skip who's in with one of the best outfits in the country committing career suicide by intentionally fishing a reserve
Viking reload
Viking profish 440(retired)
Badassfisher
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3
VHF Call Sign: Badass

I personally agree with you Kerry. And can't wait for the next trip with these guys
Downtown
Kayak Model: PF440

Completely agree that everyone makes mistakes and they went to court and got punished as the court saw fit. Its probably more the words "forgotten it was a reserve" don't quite sit right with me. As for why he would do it intentionally I can't answer that, good people make bad calls all the time its just part of life and if it was a genuine mistake then they have been punished and won't make that mistake again as I said before. Its just the reason/excuse used makes me sceptical but either way he'll learn from this experience and become a better skipper for it.
RobEdward

"No that was a different vessel - "Extreme limits" I believe..."

Yeah sorry you're right Kerry. I got mixed up.

Here's the story from the skipper of Mazurka. They had DOC officers on board at the time LOL

https://www.facebook.com/OceanblueAdven ... 4940164595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK Prowler 4.3
Perception Swing

ZMU 7699
graham99
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler elite 4.1
VHF Call Sign: none

well going by peoples replies we don't need rules .
when tell the police tomorrow they haven't got a job ,because everyone makes mistakes ,they will say well done we can go fishing
riverboater
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 440 400 2+1

Interesting, the enchanter boys have a good reputation locally, unlike the extreme limits boat, that seems to make the paper occasionally for the wrong reasons.
chrisbjenkins
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Marlin

Yeah I don't really have any sympathy if it was friends of his fishing. The skipper should have been VERY clear with them that it was a marine reserve. If they knew and were the type to 'forget' he just has to wear it. I get they don't want to ruin a young guy's career when he had no malicious intent, but it's a VERY light penalty.

I just can't believe some people are like 'oh it was an accident', but they would string up some asian dude for taking undersize snapper that the wharf! :tmi:
AndrewRawlingson

So what was the excuse for the undersize snapper in the live bait tank?
Badassfisher
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3
VHF Call Sign: Badass

AndrewRawlingson wrote:So what was the excuse for the undersize snapper in the live bait tank?
was live baiting for John Dory :lol: