Backwards Landings

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Sradich
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:00 pm

I was talking with a guy the other week that commented if the surf was really rough he would paddle through the waves backwards so that he is always facing the waves an can paddle into them. Does this work? Then once you see a manageable size one swing around and ride it in
Cheers
Steve from Palmy

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:21 pm

Speaking from personal experience dont do it!!!. I was told the same and tried it once....... Still suffering 4 years, one month, and 2 days later ;)

In my opinion, 2 options, dig in and ride that sucker or hop off and ride it like a flutter board.

Taking a wave head on is easier......if you have forward momentum.
Without the forward momentum you are liable to go vertical then topple like a tree :wasntme:
Last edited by WaikatoYakka on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:25 pm

Yip I saw ya Waikatoyakka and it took about 15 min to try and retrieve what we could out of the surf. I wouldn't try it having seen what he went through. ......
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:35 am

Hi Steve,

the only successful "backwards landings" I've seen executed were always in waves/conditions that would have been far more easily handled facing towards the beach. The amount of energy the paddlers using this technique expended controlling their kayaks was massive in comparison, especially when they attempted a turn between two sets of wash to complete the run to the beach. In larger conditions where supposedly facing the waves is better, the risk of significant damage and/or injury is IMHO considerably greater - the only plastic kayak I've ever broken was damaged in just this kind of situation.

Remembering that as anglers returning from a fish we're attempting to transition without surfing if possible (as opposed to having fun amongst the waves surfing in our de-rigged yak), it's far faster to return facing forwards. This greatly simplifies being able to pick and use the smallest waves of a set to complete the return to the beach. The "backwards landings" attempts I've watched all took too long and meant the paddlers always missed the optimal small-wave window.

Cheers,

Stephen Tapp
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:17 am

I haven't gotten caught in particularly large waves in NZ yet and when I did find some waves in Papa Aroha a few weeks ago, I didn't notice any particular pattern. However, many years ago as a teenager on a surfski in South Africa, we used to stay out just behind the breakers until you could see a pattern. 3-4 large waves, then 2-3 smaller ones, then large again. I know there's a theory of 7 waves in a set, but we found that you'd have to be patient and count them at that moment and at that specific stretch of beach.

So if I do get caught in some larger waves, I'd take my time and see if I can notice a pattern.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Sradich
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks guys that's what I thought. Definitely wasn't keen to give it a go before asking first, sometimes the waves are so powerful they can bif us out even when launching. Best to just be patient and wait for the big 3 to pass
Cheers
Steve from Palmy

piwikiwi
Kayak Model: PF400

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:41 pm

I used to fish with an old guy who used this method with success but it was slow and I got in way before him while he mucked around. My advice is to let the set waves go and then when you see a lull paddle in on the back of a smaller one. Works 90 % of the time.

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:49 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (47.94 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
:lol:
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

all good
Kayak Make: pinnacle elite on the sand
Kayak Model: ultra 4.1 rock hopping
VHF Call Sign: 4.3 trident

Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:18 pm

every re-entry is different don't take it for granted :tmi:
Pinnacle elite
o/k ultra 4.1
4.3 trident

bigreddog
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7

Sat May 02, 2015 9:36 pm

WaikatoYakka wrote:
image.jpg
:lol:
This!
Definitely forwards.

ShaneH
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite

Wed May 06, 2015 8:58 pm

I've gotten into the habit of watching/listening for the sets coming up behind me and backpaddle to prevent surfing, wait until the last 2 (normally the 2 biggest) to run past, and tuck in behind the last one. You work hard, but you can generally count on the next 2-3 waves being the smallest of the next set and it won't broach you as you come in. One thing that I have noticed...and hard to get used to because it is so counter-intuitive... is if you do find yourself being turned then rotate your hips to the inside of the turn, which will tilt the hull towards the turn direction. This will cause the yak to straighten up and get the nose pointed back in the right direction. It's one of those odd things that doesn't seem to make sense...like leaning outwards when riding 3 wheeler motorbikes.

As for coming in backwards...that just ends up being pure entertainment for the spectators on the beach. You can almost ear the collective "WTF!!" followed closely by raucous laughter. Luckily I had gone out clean skin to deliberately play in the tide, and didn't have any gear to break/lose.

• Information