Weight woes

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:52 pm

Alright people, I need some advice.

I have an Old Town Predator 13 and I love this kayak!! It is super stable, got amazing amount of space on the deck and I've got my rod holders and stuff just where I want them out of the way, but within reach. It really is a great kayak and I regularly get people coming to look at my kayak on the beach and even had guys standing around my car talking about it when I came out of the loo at Papa Aroha.

Unfortunately I have some problems...

I had a bad experience in Papa Aroha some weeks ago where the kayak took on water and really I haven't been able to get over that. That was with a 23kg battery on the back, I changed to a lighter 6.5kg battery, but the kayak is still taking on a bit of water through the scupper holes so add a few snapper and it's getting to the danger level again.
The Predator 13 has a max capacity of 180Kgs and well, I'm a fairly large fellow... Very roughly adding up my weight and all the gear I get to 173kgs, not leaving much room for fish.

So, this week I went out and bought 8 OK scupper plugs that seal completely to replace the one-way plugs that came with the kayak and don't really seem to work so well. With the plugs in, there's no water coming in from the bottom and problem solved... until it rains or you get some large swells.

I'm tempted to sell this kayak and buy the new Predator XL. The exact same kayak, but with some minor design changes it's maximum capacity is 272Kgs - an additional 92kgs to boot, but that's a lot of money.

Long post, I'm sorry. I guess my questions are the following:
Is it safe to rely on scupper plugs and what are my options in terms of a bilge pump? Do you think it's a viable option or should I just spend the money and upgrade?

I know there's a pressure down, pressure up theory that says that closing the scupper holes will make it less stable, but I honestly don't think that's one of my concerns. This kayak really is beyond stable.

I should mention that I have an anxiety disorder. It's more than just getting a little anxious about things, it really is a disorder... My mind takes things out of proportion and no amount of logic seems to be able to convince me differently. Knowing this my wife has already decided that the new kayak is my only option because she thinks I'll never trust this kayak again, no matter what I do to it to fix the problem. Sorry, it's silly I know, but that's me.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Anyway welcome except "lose some weight!!".
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

deadmansradio

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:08 pm

yeah mate I am a big guy too, so I won't tell you to start running around the block. The way I see it is that is you overload your kayak you will eventually end up with a more unstable ride. Bite the bullet and spend the money on the biggest most stable one you can afford. Better than being tipped out or worse!

Badger
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload and GT

Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:33 am

Sounds like you need to sell the present one as you don't trust it which I assume reduces the fun factor. Please don't take this as a dig because is not intended to be one. But if you're adding motors to kayaks (think that's what ya did from memory) and ya gonna be shelling out a lot of cash to upgrade is it time to consider getting a boat mate?

FatherOfMany

Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:57 am

Badger wrote:Sounds like you need to sell the present one as you don't trust it which I assume reduces the fun factor. Please don't take this as a dig because is not intended to be one. But if you're adding motors to kayaks (think that's what ya did from memory) and ya gonna be shelling out a lot of cash to upgrade is it time to consider getting a boat mate?
Hey Badger, that's a valid question but I'm quite certain I want to stick to a kayak, for a number of reasons. But yes, with the stability of the Old Town Predator and putting a motor on it, it is pretty close to having a boat.
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:51 am

From a selfish point of view, stick with this one, I enjoy your TR`s :)

But seriously mate might be worth getting shot of it before something goes wrong, and I certainly wouldnt go jamming the scuppers shut :!:

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:24 am

awondering wrote:
But seriously mate might be worth getting shot of it before something goes wrong, and I certainly wouldnt go jamming the scuppers shut :!:
I'm Biased but what he said ^^
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:38 am

Yep, closing up the scuppers ( they are there for a reason !) could be asking for trouble ...one wave over the side and next minute you're up to your waist in water ! :^)
Remember if it's not fun, get rid of it and get something else !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

aqua bee
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 400 lite

Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:48 am

Why not the fish n dive it's 91 cm wide and takes 273 kg was a bit of a barge when I tried it but then I'm a bit of a runt
Perception swing (blue)
Perception swing (yellow/green)
Viking 400 lite (yellow/black)

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:24 pm

beesting wrote:Why not the fish n dive it's 91 cm wide and takes 273 kg was a bit of a barge when I tried it but then I'm a bit of a runt
Obviously never seen an XL :D
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

aqua bee
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 400 lite

Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Way outta my budget
:rock:
Perception swing (blue)
Perception swing (yellow/green)
Viking 400 lite (yellow/black)

kernels
Kayak Model: ProFish Reload

Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Yep, the consensus is pretty much correct, you want to get a kayak suitable for the weight it has to carry. Definitely don't block the scuppers, a bit of water in the boat is no big deal.

Another advantage to getting the larger boat is that you will be able to go back to your larger battery and get more run-time. The larger boat will also paddle (and cruise) better than the overloaded smaller boat.

FatherOfMany

Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Okay thanks everyone, I think I've decided. Well, price is a bit high on the XL, but I have decided to sell this kayak.

Got the troopers hard at work to get it photo ready for TradeMe...
20150425_141402.jpg
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Right decision I think, even though it did work it didn't fill you with enough confidence to make it fun so a change is needed :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

JayD

Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:28 pm

Right decision in my eyes FoM :y: some of those TRs were pretty dodgy man. And plus those XLs look wicked :)

My first trip out in a yak for fishing I felt bit anxious and uncomfortable, soon went away but I couldn't imagine feeling that way the majority of the time and still enjoying it. I'm thinking once you get an XL youl be enjoying the sport even more than you obviously already do! :y: :rock:

FatherOfMany

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Hey all, thanks for your input.

Your comments are all correct. I do love this sport (even though I cheat with a motor), just being out there on the water with no questions to answer or decisions to make is restorative to me. I'm an introvert as head of a 8-member household (after 2 have left the house), so I need that alone time! And yes, not trusting the kayak is taking away from my enjoyment. Drove all the way to Sandy bay this past week and only went out on Wednesday. Thursday morning there was a bit of wind forecast, so I didn't go out... Long trip for a single outing!

So... after that sob story, the good news is that I've just ordered the new Predator XL from MadMike!! Can't wait!!
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:23 pm

Good luck with the auction FOM!
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Good call mate. Once you lose the trust of your yak, you also lose all the fun. You also lose that confidence to go out in 'less than perfect' conditions out of fear.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Model: GT I think...

Fri May 01, 2015 2:27 pm

What about the Viking Profish 440? I've met you and know dudes bigger than you who are in the 440...

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

FatherOfMany

Fri May 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Yeah Brad, I do like the Viking kayaks and were tempted to give the 440 and reload a try.
However, I really do love my kayak. It's layout and stability is everything I want, it's just that it couldn't carry my weight together with the electric motor and battery. Seeing that the Predator XL is the exact same layout with 50% more carrying capacity, I've decided to stick to what I already love.
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Model: GT I think...

Fri May 01, 2015 6:22 pm

I know mate... got'cha sorted... one of those catermaran double kayak gigs??? :^) 8)
Attachments
109107955.jpg

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

• Information