Someone just tried to kill me!

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:52 pm

That is not cool Andrew.
My guess is they were on Autopilot and not on watch. Probably getting the marlin gear ready.
You didn't have the Gopro running I guess?

On this subject I was watching one of the fishing programs over the weekend and they were going for a dive. The program made a point to say that its important to always put a dive flag up. What they should have said was "This is a reminder to all vessels to keep an eye out for people flying a dive flag and make sure you stay "at least" 200 metres away. These programs could do a lot to educate people about the rules. e.g. 5 knots within 200m of shore or any structure. The 50m from another vessel is not far enough in my opinion. The people who give a friendly wave as they come past within 50m are obviously completely ignorant of the separation rules. They probably all watch the fishing programs so it would be a good way to educate. My 2 cents.

So glad you are OK Andrew :y:
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

madyakka
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profishreload/profish400
VHF Call Sign: zmw3022 madyakka

Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:27 pm

had very similar thing with kiwihodge when the kayak world cup was on in the beach and boat was sitting at the heads when a dive boat coming out at full speed came very close to the same thing(I saw him in the back talking to the people he was taking) I got his name and I rung him up and they asked if I had all the proper gear to which I said I had to as part of the comp they didn't say anything so I talked to the harbour master who got hold of them and they got an earful and told they would lose there ticket if it happened again. I always take it that you have to get out of there way and keep a good watch out for them at all times

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Glad your ok Andrew,reminds me of a situation a bit similar that happened to me about twenty odd years ago in the same area ,was near the Kavalies actually, I was diving for Crays and had a boatman in a dingy waiting for me above, he was an older guy who I was collecting a feed for ,I had done well and had a full catch bag of packhorse Crays , I had begun my accent and could here the noise of a set of props somewhere nearby , due to the weight of the catch I had a fair bit of buoyancy on and it was hard to know how far away the boat was, as I neared the surface I knew it was very close and going a speed, yep you guessed it came up right in its path, I could see no one on the bridge and a very frightened boatman frantically waving ,luckily my experience as a paddy instructor saved me, the boat passed over me and when I surfaced in its wake the skipper and crew were seen on the aft deck having breakfast , happily cruising at speed obviously on autopilot ,like you I am here to tell the story, glad you made it mate cheers Kerry.

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Dude, really glad you're okay!
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Sealegs
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Almost thirty years ago, I was on the bow of a 35,000 tonne ship about to drop anchor near Rottnest Island close to Perth. I was watching a launch about 40' coming towards us at speed, and realised there was no-one I could see on the launch. We told the bridge, and they gave him some blasts on the horn. Saw a head poke out in panic and the boat swerved and just missed literally by a metre or so - I could have dropped the anchor on him, although it would probably have landed on what I assume was his secretary as she poked her head out the back. Moral is if these people cannot see a ship, no amount of safety gear and bright orange is going to save you.

Cheers, Dene

blair
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:38 pm

That's rough mate. I fished out of whangaumu this morning. Something like 40 boats took part in the weekend game fishing tournament

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:43 pm

Yep i'd say boat on auto pilot and maybe a case of them not being on the lookout but in that scenario fark me :sweat: .. You are home safe and where in a smaller vessel where you could move it out of the way but that's no excuse for some of these gin palace boaters! A incident recently here in Whangarei harbour where 2 of the plonkers collided at night was it auto pilot or a few on the turps.. I'm happy to hear you got out of it all a ok bro :y:...
Attachments
LaunchaccidentDec2014MEDIA-201412002_620x310.jpg
Nek Minit...
LaunchaccidentDec2014MEDIA-201412002_620x310.jpg (141.53 KiB) Viewed 616 times

B0ydie
Kayak Make: stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 460
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:58 pm

I fished tutukaka this weekend as well and was the same as you this morning didn't venture away from the rocks until there was plenty light. Good to here you are all safe and well
Profish 400

Jamie D
Kayak Make: Profisha 525
Kayak Model: Stealth
VHF Call Sign: Warpig

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:51 am

Yup it's scary shit bro haven't been that close to death but I've had a near miss with a power cat on autopilot it leaves the balls shakin not stirred glad thou ist safe

Badger
Kayak Model: Reload and GT

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 am

Great to hear you're ok Andrew, lets just hope the karma wheel does its thing re the boat. It was beautiful out there so bloody shame to have it ruined by an idiot.

If its any consolation you're not the only one who turtled up there this weekend. I'm getting quite adept at washing my gear in sea water now!

Keep your chin up mate.

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:49 am

Hey Andrew.

I would head down to the club office and put a complaint in with them. Perhaps it's something that they need to address. its a bad look for them as well even though there not the ones responsible. it would be interesting to see what there response is though.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:46 am

Cheers Mike. I've spoken to the Coastguard and they are going to deal with it.

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:39 am

Things get very busy up here at Russell over summer - lots of pissed gin palace plonkers and twice-a-year trailer boaties.

I just look out more for boats than for what my line's doing whilst fishing, and if something 300 or 400m away looks as if it's heading in my direction, I move. It's not a biggie, but I have a major advantage in never fishing anchored from my kayak these days - and that's one of the reasons.

Just like motorbike safety: I don't care what the rules say - if I'm in danger from the actions of others, it's up to me to save myself. It's pretty useless being in the right, but dead.

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:05 am

PJay wrote:
Just like motorbike safety: I don't care what the rules say - if I'm in danger from the actions of others, it's up to me to save myself. It's pretty useless being in the right, but dead.

:y: Good post. We are all responsible for our own health and safety. Plenty of those type out there Andrew.

For others new to kayaking, when boat is coming at you fast close or otherwise try to get your yaks bow turned into the wake. Side on can be a disaster !!

Another good reason to stay away from areas with large traffic flow on a long weekend.

MadMike

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:06 am

Might throw something in my report for the advocate over boats and kayaks again next week...
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

JayD

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:32 pm

Woah man, so glad you got out of that ok :y: Not cool at all.

Had a close call not long ago. I let out a high pitched whistle as the boat came closer and closer straight for me, then started to paddle away when he didnt hear me the first time. He heard me the next time, popped his head up, swerved away and yelled sorry. All i could do is shake my head and give him a "what the hell were you thinking not looking where you are going" kinda look.

Its pretty messed up when it takes serious injury or death to make people in power sit up and take notice of a problem that is so obvious to many other people. So I guess its up to those who are aware of it(all of us), to do what we can do educate people.
MadMike wrote:Might throw something in my report for the advocate over boats and kayaks again next week...
Great idea Mike :y:

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:52 pm

MadMike wrote:Might throw something in my report for the advocate over boats and kayaks again next week...
Fine by me. Anything that helps get the safety message across.

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:21 pm

I had previously wondered how loud one of these would be... Might have to give it a bit more serious consideration:

http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/boat-horn ... y-air-horn
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:43 pm

You are not alone Andrew......

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11398643

In todays Herald.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

MadMike

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:40 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Fine by me. Anything that helps get the safety message across.
You able to write me a small piece on events and PM please Andrew?

• Information