Raymarine Dragonfly GPS Chartplotter/Fishfinder

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
RCB
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish400 Lite

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:14 am

Has anyone had any experience with this unit?

http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/raymarine ... ekly+Deals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:04 am

There pretty new to market. it's got some cool features though.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

McFly
Kayak Make: Perception Swing
Kayak Model: 4.1

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:16 am

It has CHIRP technology, it's meant to be really good. They retail for $1250-$1300 so saving a couple of hundred from marine deals this week is not to be scoffed at. This unit has been reviewed on a nz fishing forum. Google should find more info.

murf
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:10 pm

McFly wrote:It has CHIRP technology, it's meant to be really good. They retail for $1250-$1300 so saving a couple of hundred from marine deals this week is not to be scoffed at. This unit has been reviewed on a nz fishing forum. Google should find more info.
Is it for finding fish or birds? :^)

McFly
Kayak Make: Perception Swing
Kayak Model: 4.1

Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:45 pm

find the birds and you find the fish so I'm told.. ;)

crudbug
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMW6029

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:36 pm

I had a really good look at them at the Auckland Boat Show. I was in the market for a new kayak and a new fish finder. The Dragonfly looked awesome to start with but there were a few issues. On the good side it had a really bright high contrast screen. Picture quality looked better than anything else on display. I think it was $1200 on debut which INCLUDED a Navionics Gold Card. However, the software was quite clumsy to use. And when you zoomed in, your boat icon increased in size as well. So at a good usable zoom level, over half the screen was filled with your boat icon. Hopefully fixed with a software change by now! Physically, the mount is really flimsy and it was possible to emove it from the mount without actually unclipping it properly. The access door for the memory card didn't look particularly waterproof. My biggest annoyance was that every time you moved the joystick to scroll around the screen, the whole unit moved in the cradle (like I said - pretty flimsy), and it had a really bad delay between you providing an input, and the unit actually doing anything which made it feel real clumsy. The final thing that swayed me away from the Dragonfly was the size of the sounder. It is MASSIVE. No way it would fit in the sounder recess on an Ocean Kayak Prowler without a tonne of cutting and plastic welding the hull. I think it would be a good unit for a small runabout or tinnie that has no chance of being submerged. It just didn't seem sturdy enough to give the confidence it could handle the punishment of a kayak. In the end I bought a Humminbird 598ciHD. It was $300 more than the Dragonfly, but still $300 less than the 798ciHD. At least the Humminbird fits perfectly on the Prowler 4.7 Ultra and has a proven record!
I must provide the disclaimer that I'm a complete newbie so these are just my first opinions when I was seriously looking at buying one at the Boat Show!

Jeff666
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:20 am

I must provide the disclaimer that I'm a complete newbie so these are just my first opinions when I was seriously looking at buying one at the Boat Show![/quote]

I was looking at one and what you have said is correct. From reading reviews they leak at the back and break easily.
Old Town Predator 13
On the way The Old Town Predator PDL

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:45 am

Excellent writeup for your first post Crudbug :y:

Welcome to the forum.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:47 am

Jeff666 wrote:I must provide the disclaimer that I'm a complete newbie so these are just my first opinions when I was seriously looking at buying one at the Boat Show!
I was looking at one and what you have said is correct. From reading reviews they leak at the back and break easily.[/quote]

Been a bit slow on this one....Well done Crudbug...Agree with you both..Aside from your comments, I'd be concerned that anything taht moves or toggles (like the joystick) is going to be prone to saltbuild up and jamming..I saw the whole thing as a bit of a novelty
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

• Information