Out with the old and in with the new... serious TAS

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: GT I think...

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:55 am

That theme really has rung true for me over the past year, so why break a habit... major TAS moment leading up to our next trip. Out with the 440 and in with the 400...

Had a paddle on Saturday down Bucklands Beach. Those ferry guys really dont like it when you aim for them... I just want to see how she handles in the waves!!!!! :^)

Nothing new I can add except the canoe excites me... not like a big boobed women but like a new toy out of reach for some time or getting a shiney new car. In the flesh, it looks great, more of a dirty brushed look as we doubled the black which spread out across the canoe. New sounder and finder, nothing flash, no touch screens no sky tv, no youtube on it just good quality and bang for buck. Yet to deck it out but one addition which I'll add a picture of later is the all black pod which is sitting in a massive courier bag on my door step at home. Reckon that'll make it. Will it be hot in Summer, yet reckon so, can I swap it out for a white one... sure... will it look good. Hell yeah.

To boot - the lads at Smartmarine did me a deal to good to mention on here for a Talica 8II which has been matched up with a sweet looking K-Labs trigger stick. Whilst there... matched up most my reels with K-Labs rods. Way over due... and cheers for the leashes.

All up - happy as a pig in poo.

At the time this was produced and then picked up (last Friday) there were two others in this waspy looking colour - Grants 440 (which looks fricken amazing) and a mean as looking one which I saw on Facebook (Tim???) which is the business with all the guff. Quite certain for now though... this is the only one in New Zealands greatest city. I'll claim that but reckon when you see this colour - you'll want one.

Im looking forward to getting back out amongst it... The past year I havent been too active as some of you's know... but really excited about getting my paddle wet again! :rock:

Ta. Kiwiladbrad
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

kiwiladbrad

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:59 am

Forgot to mention the consistantly good service from the Viking team. Stephen for the endless questions and thorough answers... Grant for his black n white practical outlook and responses and Lenny (?) for the pod and putting up with my less than enthusiastic "initial" attitude on Friday. Certainly got there in the end with a massive thumbs up... nothings a hassle with the Viking brand.

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:21 am

Mate that's a sweet looking ride that needs to be broken in good and proper . This weekend should sort that out !
I'm loving all the colour mixes coming out these days , your one sorta has that " I've just had a really bad turtle in the Naki " look about it . A black chill box on the arse end should look sweet !
Sorta feeling bait jelly now with these guys getting nice knew tarted up rides !

Well done mate :y:

kiwiladbrad

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:29 am

Kingfish killer wrote:Mate that's a sweet looking ride that needs to be broken in good and proper . This weekend should sort that out !
I'm loving all the colour mixes coming out these days , your one sorta has that " I've just had a really bad turtle in the Naki " look about it . A black chill box on the arse end should look sweet !
Sorta feeling bait jelly now with these guys getting nice knew tarted up rides !

Cheers KK - will see you out in the soup sometime... been ages. Yeah, weather for Cuvier is looking average to crap so if thats called off - a Coro road trip will have to do :y:

DJ
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:33 am

kiwiladbrad wrote:
Kingfish killer wrote:Mate that's a sweet looking ride that needs to be broken in good and proper . This weekend should sort that out !

Cheers KK - will see you out in the soup sometime... been ages. Yeah, weather for Cuvier is looking average to crap so if thats called off - a Coro road trip will have to do :y:
Nah mate ,, harden up sheel be sweet as!!! Hope so , Tech and i will be in Corro late Wednesday, so no turning back now.. ;)

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:36 am

Very nice Brad. needs a snail or two to really finish it off but overall acceptable :lol: .
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:57 am

hahaha I had the exact same snail thoughts :lol:

Sweet lookin' ride KLBee :lol:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Looks sweet KLB..very nice indeed..... !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:Forgot to mention the consistantly good service from the Viking team. Stephen for the endless questions and thorough answers... Grant for his black n white practical outlook and responses and Lenny (?) for the pod and putting up with my less than enthusiastic "initial" attitude on Friday. Certainly got there in the end with a massive thumbs up... nothings a hassle with the Viking brand.
Were you a bit grumpy mate ? :lol:
Yer nah she is a sweet looking ride there horse :y:

kiwiladbrad

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:42 pm

nzimp wrote:Very nice Brad. needs a snail or two to really finish it off but overall acceptable :lol: .
Will that ever grow tired... I've done heaps more embarrassing things since... geeze... :lol:

nzimp
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:00 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:
nzimp wrote:Very nice Brad. needs a snail or two to really finish it off but overall acceptable :lol: .
Will that ever grow tired... I've done heaps more embarrassing things since... geeze... :lol:
:lol:

But have you shared them with the community?
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

Rusty
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:37 pm

sweet ride mate, :y:
great to catch up with you again
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

lenzman
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Nice mate really like the colour mix :y:
If I'm not fishing I'm taking photographs, if I'm not taking photographs I'm fishing!!

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Very nice KLB looking 8) there a sweet ride :y:.....

Ikwezinz
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 am

KLB, I am about to upgrade, choice is the 440 or the 400, given you have shifted to the 400 can I ask why. The 400 seems to dig into the waves based on some of the video on the forum, what does the 440 do given you have owned both.

Key question is guess is why the change and which is better in surf launches, 95% of my launches and re-entry will be surf, some of it a fair size so it's a key factor for me, but it will be either the 400 or 440.

Guys at Viking have been very patient with the questions to date, but want to get some "independent views" if there any of those on the forum :)

awondering

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:18 am

And in a couple of weeks there will be another to consider... they really are two different kayaks, I have both and like them both for different reasons...

Ikwezinz
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks, given you have both you would be the best non partisan view here given I am deciding between the 2?

I like the 400 weight and stability which others say is better than the 440 in rough, you find the same. 400 would probably handle surfing better, but I try avoid surfing given it normally ends with a close up view of the sea bottom.

440 storage and speed seem better than the 400, I suspect the Reload with be longer which I don't want.

So if you were predominately surf launching, were more bait than softbait, tend to anchor up vs drift fish and max paddling distance 12 to 16km over a day, which would your go to boat be out of the two

awondering

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Ikwezinz wrote:
I like the 400 weight and stability which others say is better than the 440 in rough, Not sure about the 400 being better in the rough nor having better stability TBH, the only time I have arsed out of a yak was in the 400, and given the choice of yaks to take out in the rough I would go 440 every time, and its a much drier ride and goes through the rough stuff better IMHO the 400 tends to dig its nose into anything in front of it :!:
440 storage and speed seem better than the 400, without doubt the storage on the 440 is way better, speed wise would say there wasnt much in it TBH...

So if you were predominately surf launching, 400 not that I do surf launches easier to handle
were more bait than softbait, 440 has the bait wells behind for all the stink stuff
tend to anchor up vs drift fish and doesn't matter

max paddling distance 12 to 16km over a day, again I wouldn't mind which one I had out for that

I would say the 400 is a much more comfortable kayak to be in as the day goes on...

• Information