Mothership dream target?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Mental wrote:
sk8e8 wrote:I still haven't caught a 20+ snapper, or a 20+ kingie, so they are both on the list. Again, I like the challange of the 20+ target, as well as actually catching and fighting both fish. And I don't get many opportunities to go for them, so a mothership is just that.
You don't need a mothership trip for those but you probably do need to get out of Auckland to make it easier :lol:

Like mothership trips I don't think you can beat a good road trip with the right people either :y:
Both true. As I said, a mothership is just a great opportunity. Pretty hard to get 2-3 days on the water when you have to do the big paddles ;)
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

murf
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:08 pm

I'd love to fish around D'urville, flown over it heaps and it looks 8) Paul/Mental? :!: I've never even seen a Kingi but fish or not it would be awesome.

Fiordland would be amazing to paddle around (has anyone caught an orange roughy from a yak) :lol: Puysegar not that far from there........ A guy here at Burnsco (big fan of yours actually Limitless) did tours down there and reckoned the hardest bit was finding somewhere to land. they had to anchor to the bank and sleep on the yaks :sweat: Mothership would eliminate that hassle.

I don't suppose anyone has a reel that hold 2 miles of line or enough lead to get it down there!

I think for me the scenery, the camaraderie and the chance to get some footage of me catching an actual fish would be the catch points, pretty much in that order. Does anyone have footage of launching/landing from a boat - I'm curious to see how it's done.

Pope
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:11 pm

all the things mentioned so far tick my list almost.

I also really like the planning and anticipation, followed by great memories

madyakka
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profishreload/profish400
VHF Call Sign: zmw3022 madyakka

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:32 pm

if i could i would like to fish for puka at the garden patch just of cape karikari . the guys at reel rods said they have seen guys out there before fishing for puka in 300+ metres of water(on yaks)i dont want the bigest one i just want ONE
As with all trips with or without motherships its about the poeple and the mindset of said poeple (you are all there for the fish and catching the best fish you can with the time you have)
I like fishing all new places ,meeting new and old friends.
myself and a mate went to port fitzroy on the ferry went around the corner camped on the beach for a week had a ball put all the fish we could back IT WAS A TRIP I WILL NOT FORGET and thats the whole point
motherships give as the ways to get to places we could not otherwise get to and the ways to make new friends and catch up with old friends AND HOPEFULLY CATCH THE FISH OF A LIFE TIME OR AT LEAST COME AWAY WITH MEMORIES

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Location... Pacific islands
Target species..... GT's, Mahimahi, Big Tuna, Wahoo.

Probably only want to do it once to tick off another location / species etc and live with some awesome memories from there.

I've done the deepwater Puka, bluenose etc, big kingfish, White Island, Great Barrier etc and would do it all again but a road trip around Northland would probably take priority right now.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

BigDave
Kayak Make: Wavewalk
Kayak Model: W500
VHF Call Sign: zmw5526

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:43 pm

I think realistically the closest thing to a mother ship trip I'm likely to try in the near future anyway is the waiheke vehicle ferry.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526
Yak PB's: Snapper 44cm @ Howick. JD 36cm Sullivans.

Oh, and remember to radio me if you find yourself in a workup.

Jeff666
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:30 pm

rbnzdave wrote:I think realistically the closest thing to a mother ship trip I'm likely to try in the near future anyway is the waiheke vehicle ferry.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
If you get a trailer 4 or 5 yaks on it not that much for a great days fishing when you split the cost between 4-5 people and you can do it in a day, doesnt cost the earth in petrol and is just as good as a trip to Corromandel or up north.
Old Town Predator 13
On the way The Old Town Predator PDL

kpofisha
Kayak Make: Handcrafted
Kayak Model: JEM Wadefish 15-32

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:13 am

Mothership doesn't appeal to me :puke: :puke: :puke:
My dream would be the "Great NZ Yakking Trip" ... load up a camper, kayak, gear and travel the country.
Stop & fish/paddle where and when I feel like.
Life is measured in achievement, not in years alone - Bruce McLaren

JEM Wadefish 15-32
Cobra Fish 'n Dive

YakDr
Kayak Model: Viking Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4103

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:48 am

WaikatoYakka wrote:Location... Pacific islands
Target species..... GT's, Mahimahi, Big Tuna, Wahoo.
My dream too. Having spent a bit of time in Fiji and Rarotonga fishing from a boat I would love to get over there with a kayak. Fiji more so and especially either the yasawa islands to the north or down to kadavu south of Suva. Casting to tropical bullies around coral bommies or trolling for oceanic speedsters in crystal clear water. :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
I have never been on a mother ship trip but keep telling myself I must get there one day

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:57 am

Mental wrote:when we went to the Mokes it was just awesome being there, the scenery, the structure, clarity of the water, the fish were simply a bonus! Also the company on that trip made it what it was, no one was there with the attititude of "must get big fish, this trip be a waste if I go home without one!" We were all just along for the ride :y:
That mokes trip was my first real mothership trip (been to the barrier with redquarters but not quite the same sort of trip)
It was by far the best fishing trip I have ever been on, the company really made the trip - was great to have a group that weren't trying to one-up each other, were happy to share a bit of knowledge and were all there with the attitude of just enjoying the trip regardless of what was caught.
We were lucky enough to have some great weather and fishing, which was really just a bonus.

Looking forward to the next time I get a chance to go on a trip like that, will jump at the chance.

As far as dream target, I have no interest in Marlin (or any billfish for that matter) would like to catch a Bluefin one day, but realistically it is unlikely to be done on a kayak. GT would have to top the list for a kayak.
Deatinations - anywhere I haven't already fished before would be great, but would be more than happy just going back to Gt Barrier or the Mokes should the opportunity arise.
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:29 am

^^ I hear ya on the GT trip.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

DJ
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:34 am

awondering wrote:That trip for me was fantastic, the best and will always be a tough one to better, blessed with the weather... Yer that pretty well sums it up for me as well Jase :y:
Im with those guys, that was an awesome trip. But to be honest , i have had some fantastic trips to other places,
and to pick one out of the bunch would be hard. The whole trip is an adventure, from panicking the night before on what gear to take , to cleaning up when you get home , its all of it. You always have a good time with a great bunch of people :clap: Ive enjoyed being part of Marks 36kg Kingi, Catherines Puka, Mental and KC being violently sick. Its everything ,, :rock:

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:05 pm

[quote="Limitless"]I've never had a trumpeter/quote]

Makes me think of Stewart Island. Getting dropped of my a boat at somewhere like Port Adventure for a few days, with great fishing and diving and the possibility of some venison also ...
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Cbro
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: Cbro

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Limitless wrote:This is a really cool question sk8e8, got me thinking about why I enjoy mothership trips so much.

I lump three factors so close together it's incredibly hard to separate them:
1. the destination - the opportunity to get somewhere that's different and out of my safe paddle-from-shore range. The adventure of exploring new (for me) country is a real buzz.
2. the people - I really enjoyed fishing with Shelley, Stuart, and Rob at the Three Kings. To me this is every bit as important as where we went and what we caught. To be there when Stuart landed his monster hoodlum meant we were all part of the achievement, and it was cool to finally be able to fish with Rob after knowing him all these years
3. the fishing - I enjoy all forms of fishing and I find mothership trips give me the best opportunity to apply a diverse range of techniques in one trip. It's not about catching the biggest or the mostest, it's about jigging, straylining, softbaiting, livebaiting, trolling, slow jigs, casting the shallows, plumbing the depths, light tackle, heavy tackle, and so on. I also enjoy the opportunity to push the boundaries (e.g. how deep can I actually fish from a kayak and get a big fish to the surface) while having the safety blanket of a mothership nearby.

As far as picking destinations or goals for a trip, mine are:
First: fishing somewhere I've never been before (e.g. Gt Barrier, Cuvier, Mokes, maybe the Rumbles? :o )
Second: targeting new specie (e.g. I've caught plenty of puka and blue nose, but I've never had a bass to the kayak; I've never had a trumpeter either)
Come up in may/June with a 400 and we can tick that bass off your list...if your interested.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Cbro wrote:
Limitless wrote:This is a really cool question sk8e8, got me thinking about why I enjoy mothership trips so much.

I lump three factors so close together it's incredibly hard to separate them:
1. the destination - the opportunity to get somewhere that's different and out of my safe paddle-from-shore range. The adventure of exploring new (for me) country is a real buzz.
2. the people - I really enjoyed fishing with Shelley, Stuart, and Rob at the Three Kings. To me this is every bit as important as where we went and what we caught. To be there when Stuart landed his monster hoodlum meant we were all part of the achievement, and it was cool to finally be able to fish with Rob after knowing him all these years
3. the fishing - I enjoy all forms of fishing and I find mothership trips give me the best opportunity to apply a diverse range of techniques in one trip. It's not about catching the biggest or the mostest, it's about jigging, straylining, softbaiting, livebaiting, trolling, slow jigs, casting the shallows, plumbing the depths, light tackle, heavy tackle, and so on. I also enjoy the opportunity to push the boundaries (e.g. how deep can I actually fish from a kayak and get a big fish to the surface) while having the safety blanket of a mothership nearby.

As far as picking destinations or goals for a trip, mine are:
First: fishing somewhere I've never been before (e.g. Gt Barrier, Cuvier, Mokes, maybe the Rumbles? :o )
Second: targeting new specie (e.g. I've caught plenty of puka and blue nose, but I've never had a bass to the kayak; I've never had a trumpeter either)
Come up in may/June with a 400 and we can tick that bass off your list...if your interested.
Don't know about him, but I am ;)
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:42 pm

dream trip would be Cuba ... or Cabo San Lucas...Hemmingway style fishing, :) Throw in a Goodguys Top fuel Dragrace Meeting.....perfect! 8)

Glass is Class.. dedant

Cbro
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: Cbro

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:02 am

Sure if your keen bro, prob can only fit one yak inside the boat. Will use 75l gas but I'd promise you you'll go home with at least 100kg of fish...hopefully the yak is the secret to landing those 90kg beasts that I fail to land on the boat...

• Information