View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Kayaking Cook Strait 

Post Kayaking Cook Strait
Hey mates, I know this isn't strictly kayak fishing but I thought you might be interested.

So if all goes to plan I will be guiding a couple of English blokes across Cook Strait on Saturday. One of them is ultra-marathon runner Jez Brag, who is currently running the length of NZ down the Te Araroa track. The weather looks mint so I'm hoping for a trip that is similar to my last crossing...glassy calm and gently rolling swells. We will be launching from Makara beach at 6am and will head across the strait to Cape Koamaru, hopefully landing at Ship Cove (Queen Charlotte Sound) at around 2pm. All up it is around 41km.

I will have my SPOT tracking device on me so you will be able to follow our progress on my map page. Check it out at http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... kc1ysrPTVV

Proudly supported by Viking Kayaks, NZ Bay Fisher Magazine, and Lowrance.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:51 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Kayaking Cook Strait
Sounds like a cool trip :y:

Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
Viking Profish 400 Lite

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:00 am
Profile WWW

Good luck. Sounds fun if you get the weather you hope.

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 pm
Profile WWW

...And the currents.
One big ferry glide from what I have read.

Best of luck :y:

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Public Service Announcement:
Youtube Clip

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm
Profile WWW

nzkayaker wrote:
Hey mates, I know this isn't strictly kayak fishing but I thought you might be interested.

So if all goes to plan I will be guiding a couple of English blokes across Cook Strait on Saturday. One of them is ultra-marathon runner Jez Brag, who is currently running the length of NZ down the Te Araroa track. The weather looks mint so I'm hoping for a trip that is similar to my last crossing...glassy calm and gently rolling swells. We will be launching from Makara beach at 6am and will head across the strait to Cape Koamaru, hopefully landing at Ship Cove (Queen Charlotte Sound) at around 2pm. All up it is around 41km.

I will have my SPOT tracking device on me so you will be able to follow our progress on my map page. Check it out at http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... kc1ysrPTVV

So how did it all go nzkayaker ? would be more impressed if you were doing it in 20 Knot Southerly. Still a good effort all the same.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:23 pm

Post Kayaking Cook Strait
Good luck with your trip - would be good to see some pics when you get the chance.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:00 pm

HookiT wrote:
So how did it all go nzkayaker ? would be more impressed if you were doing it in 20 Knot Southerly. Still a good effort all the same.

:D He hasn't left yet ;)

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Public Service Announcement:
Youtube Clip

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:04 pm
Profile WWW

Yeh, leaving on Saturday so heading down tomorrow. Swellmap is showing 10knots northerly and 0.3m at Makara beach so fingers crossed it stays that way.

On my nz trip I obviously did it twice and I had 2 different experience. First time it was 10 hours of shear pain in 15-20 knots, and second time it was 4 hours of sublime calmness...hopefully this time round is similar to that experience. And yes photos and video to come.

Proudly supported by Viking Kayaks, NZ Bay Fisher Magazine, and Lowrance.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:05 pm
Profile WWW

Good luck mate, sounds like a fun thing to do :y:

Enjoy every craft that can float, don't have one, have them all

Paddling Perfection BreakSea (Demo) /Prowler 4.7 (x2)/Wahoo fishing Ski/Mirage 580 Expedition/Preception Streamline/Perception Swing /Cobra triple[/center]

https://www.facebook.com/YakSolo
https://www.facebook.com/oceankayakers
https://www.oceankayakers.com

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:23 am
Profile WWW

Good luck mate :rock: tow a lure as these northerly gales should have brought the Alberts in

Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
The mothership - Surtees 5.5 Hardtop 115 Zuki 4 stroke

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:14 am