Can you spray Inox directly onto a reel?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
fishingrev
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3121

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:15 am

Just wanting to look after my reels the best that I can and thought a spray of inox wouldn't go a miss....but is it okay for the reels to if you spray it directly on?
Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
ZMU3121 'fishingrev'

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 am

yes its great for reels, wipe the salt off with a damp cloth and then spray- make sure you get into areas with moving parts. Inox is ok to use on mono and braid as well so don't worry if you get some on yr spool

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:43 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, wipe inox on... Its all good for me and you Kerry cause we strip and repair our reels regularly, for people who dont it washes the grease out of the bearings and allows water through / in them... it can also effect the ability for anti reverse bearing to be able to function.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:45 am

^^^ What MM said :y:..

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:12 pm

I have found inox can make some rubber seals expand too

Tara Yakka
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:54 pm

G1. tut tut tut.
A new year a new avatar (the one showing your inox expanded seals)
Mission Catch 390
Viking ProFish440
Viking Reload

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Then there's the issue of the solvent carrier in the spray can; this can have progressive detrimental effects on some rubbers and plastics. If you must spray it on, buy a bulk pack of your favourite CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant - Inox, WD40, CRC, Sheath, Tackleguard, etc. ect.) and a little pump spray bottle to apply it. Personally I either wipe it on using a lint free cloth, or use a little dropper bottle to apply it exactly where it needs to be so I'm not diluting out any protective greases or risking a contaminated drag.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

DARKE ANGLER
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Hobie Outback Camo

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:14 pm

Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I try not to get inox anywhere near the line itself.
Could be an old wives tale but I would assume the slick in the water it would produce coming off the line would be a fish repellant :?:
Hobie Out Back 2017

MadMike

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:37 pm

No, its not a petroleum based product
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Jungl3Jim wrote:Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I try not to get inox anywhere near the line itself.
Could be an old wives tale but I would assume the slick in the water it would produce coming off the line would be a fish repellant :?:
Yup same , Inox stinks to hell and any on the line sure gives em a artificial whiff of something amiss.
Lanox the lanolin stuff does a far better job of sticking and more natural pong(Sheeps sweat) but dosn't affect the seals and O rings like Inox.

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:54 pm

For the last 12 or 13 years, I've bought bulk Inox and spray it religiously from a pump bottle over each rod and reel (and jighead, when they stay on the line) after any fishing expedition.

Wipe down with a rag, put away.

The reels that are most often used get a full stripdown and service by Steve Angus ("Swordfish Steve" on the other forum) annually, others less frequently depending on use.

The Inox repels water from the not infrequent full dunkings of my baitcaster reels on the kayak; one of my Citicas is 4 or 5 years old, was bought second-hand, has had an absolute hammering, and looks and works near new still.

All my rods look brand new, no corrosion of any sort on any line guide; and several of mine have given 6-8 years of service.

Yup, the lines leave a bit of an oil slick for the first few deployments, but that's never seemed to deter fish for me.

As always, these are only my experiences, with no input from theory....

Jett
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:32 am

Interesting variety of opinions here.

Pjay, where can you get inox in bulk from?

MadMike

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:00 am

Anyone that sells Inox can get it in for you.

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:49 am

PJay wrote:For the last 12 or 13 years, I've bought bulk Inox and spray it religiously from a pump bottle over each rod and reel (and jighead, when they stay on the line) after any fishing expedition.

Wipe down with a rag, put away.

The reels that are most often used get a full stripdown and service by Steve Angus ("Swordfish Steve" on the other forum) annually, others less frequently depending on use.

The Inox repels water from the not infrequent full dunkings of my baitcaster reels on the kayak; one of my Citicas is 4 or 5 years old, was bought second-hand, has had an absolute hammering, and looks and works near new still.

All my rods look brand new, no corrosion of any sort on any line guide; and several of mine have given 6-8 years of service.

Yup, the lines leave a bit of an oil slick for the first few deployments, but that's never seemed to deter fish for me.

As always, these are only my experiences, with no input from theory....
Yep thats pretty much how I do it, my reels get serviced every couple of months tho but then they get used every wknd ;) ;)

Dream

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Sorry old thread.. got myself some Inox mx3, do i just light mist spray reel and wipe down with dry rag after washing with warm water?

Or do i spray Inox on rag and wipe down? Cheers :)

MadMike

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:09 pm

Spray on rag and wipe down

PJay

Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:42 pm

Dream PM'd me and I replied direct, before seeing the revival of this thread. The question was whether I give a light spray or a drenching. My reply, FWIW:

Well, it's quite a drenching before I wipe off, but I'm careful to keep it off soft reel grips - if too much of it's on eg Shimano soft handles, the rubber-ish material ends up falling apart.

The residual Inox repels water when you're out fishing next, a major advantage.

Just thought now, as well: I just spray the Inox on, without washing down with water. My personal theory is that fresh water getting into the reel will make the corrosion issue worse, not better; but on the exterior, the salt comes away when you wipe the Inox off.

MadMike

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Lucky for me I get to service some of your reels aye PJ :P

PJay

Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:48 pm

Yeah, well, Inox on the outside isn't going to defeat repeated dunkings....

Rahul17
Kayak Make: barracuda
Kayak Model: sot
VHF Call Sign: donthaveone

Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:27 pm

Mike
I don't think the boys get ur point of view
But I think that as long as reels come to you for servicing
It's all good
Agree? disagree?

• Information