Which shark has a grey, sharp, right angle triangle dorsal fin?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 460

Kinda like the corner of a square. Not rounded at all.

Noticed one the other day and it wouldn't let me get close enough to get a better look.
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

You'd be the best to work it out, have a look here... (fast forward to about the middle)
https://pdf4pro.com/view/sharkfin-guide ... b433d.html

If it had a 'slabby' look, I'm going for GW (and not just because that is apparently the only species in NZ waters these days, according to the media)
The GW I saw, the fin struck me as having a really robust look to it, but she was a Biiiig girl.
GW front sticky uppy bit.JPG
GW front sticky uppy bit.JPG (11.38 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.
kingiFiddler

That's a great PDF, thanks.
I can't find the fin in there, unfortunately. Here's roughly what it looked like:
fin.jpg
fin.jpg (5.33 KiB) Viewed 177 times

Very sharp, and no curves, just like the corner of a square.
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

My humble opinion

Bronze Whaler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_shark a.k.a. Bronze Whaler

BW.png
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish
AndrewRawlingson

Looking at those photos, I think it would be almost impossible to tell a great white and a bronzie apart by just getting a glance at the dorsal fin.
Hairy Little Dwarf

Except for the colour.
Rangiputa puppy.jpg

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.
kingiFiddler

Have been wondering if adult bronzies lose the copper sheen.
It must be something like 8 or so bronzies I've hooked in the last four weeks and every one I've been able to sight have been that stunning copper colour, up to about 2m long.

Second to last trip out one either was trying to scare me off or just didn't notice me crossing its path until the last minute and it did a 180 so close to the kayak I could have touched its tail.

A few trips before that I had a 2m model free-jumping about 30m in front of the kayak. Probably two feet clear of the water, doing a full twist before crashing down. This was about 1/2 an hour after I hooked one of similar size, maybe the same one, and it was greyhounding like a marlin until it busted me off. Super impressive show.

The dorsal fin in question didn't look like any shark I've encountered thus far. It hung around a while so I got a good look at that fin from a few different angles but it wouldn't let me get close. Wasn't big, maybe 1.5m. I guess it will remain a mystery.
Hairy Little Dwarf

Seen some big mammas in Rangaunu (Nursery waters), they still had that brown toning.
Option is that whatever it was had been a victim of propstrike or necrosis.

There are eight million mysteries in the ocean. This has been one of them. (with apologies to Maltz and Ward)

kingiFiddler

Good to know, cheers.
AndrewRawlingson

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:56 pm Except for the colour.
Rangiputa puppy.jpg
True, but if you are low to the water and not very close, colour is often hard to determine. Most things I spot on the surface are just silhouettes, especially if it's just a fleeting glimpse as it so often is with fins.
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

What about a hammerhead or a thresher?

Hammerheads cruise inshore waters. Threshers less so, but I'm sure they do pop up ocassionally.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778
kingiFiddler

Would have thought I'd have seen the threshers tail. Maybe HH but nothing seems a near enough match to be definitive. Frankly, am hoping to not encounter any more sharks this Summer but chances are there's another dozen in the future to go with the dozen or so already. By far the worst Summer I've see for sharks up here.
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

As an aside, I was watching a vid from this guy,

https://www.youtube.com/c/YakFishField

A fellow who talks incessantly, and:

a, the American Yellowtail is like a baby Kingfish

b, the Thresher shark has a distinctly rounded top to it's dorsal fin.

Has the swell died down yet?

Tutukaka looks like a dangerous place to keep your million dollar boat ...
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish
AndrewRawlingson

Marc N wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:07 am a, the American Yellowtail is like a baby Kingfish.
Same fish, but ours grow bigger :D

As for name, yellowtail kingfish in Aus/NZ, but the kingfish part causes problems for our American friends as they use the term for their king mackerel which is a completely different fish.
kingiFiddler

Was speaking to a guy visiting from Aus a while ago. He didn't believe my latest kingi at that stage was about 18kgs. His PB was about 8kg.

Not sure on swell size. Certainly dropping fast. Will try a sunrise sesh tomorrow. Got a few new livebaiting gizmos to try out. Going to be interesting seeing where all the sand is after that storm. Hopefully a 20+kg kingi/yellowtail/amberjack/buri is willing to play ball tomorrow and the sharks are in self-iso and leave me alone.
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

You'd be doing well to catch an amberjack. They're a different species. They are spotted very ocassionally in NZ waters, but are super rare (like one or two catches some years). The almaco jack also very occasionally puts in an appearance (again same genus, different species)
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778
kingiFiddler

My mistake. I thought both the Californian yellowtail and greater amberjacks were just bundled together as amberjacks over there. If it can tow the yak around and isn't a shark, dolphin or whale, it can be called any pronoun it identifies with as long as I can call it caught.
AndrewRawlingson

Our "kingfish" are a type of amberjack. Amberjacks are a family of fish. For some reason, those of us in the southern hemisphere have made a total hash of fish naming. It's a biologist's nightmare! Snapper, blue cod, need I go on? :D
kingiFiddler

I blame Cpt Cook. I bet the locals had the names sorted long before he turned up to bugger up the names.

To correct the record a bit, Marc, there was still a bit of swell around.Enough to make me think twice about staying out until low tide. Two more sharks today. Don't know what flavour, don't care. One kingi enquiry but it saw the monstor hook and thought better of it. Was trying out some big circle hooks Smelli sent me. Kingi didn't like it, sharks ain't bovverred, so i lost two of them without getting anything to the yak.
Was an almost complete doughnut day - really tough going finding livebaits this morning. First time this Summer it's been that tough. Took about an hour to get two.
AndrewRawlingson

kingiFiddler wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:46 am I blame Cpt Cook. I bet the locals had the names sorted long before he turned up to bugger up the names.
I agree, where there was no English name for a species, it would have been great to use the Maori name instead of bastardising a northern hemisphere name. Kahawai anyone? Smoked salmon to the Aussies :D