Drag settings - boat vs kayak

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Has anyone else noticed that Greg must be one heck of an online influencer/market mover? No sooner had we discussed that fth40nld2 reel and darn near everyone has sold out and nobody seems to know with any certainty when the next lot will come in.

We live in interesting times. Makes me think I better get everything I'll need for this Summer long before it's needed, just to make sure.

A pity Stealth kayaks (of the model I'm chasing) are like rocking horse proverbial.
GregPotter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440

haha thanks mate - as humbling as your comment is, we can probably thank covid for the lack of Fathoms in NZ. I've made some enquiries and will let you know when we'll likely next be seeing stock of that model in NZ :y:
kingiFiddler

No worries Greg, I'm sorted. :y:

By that I mean there must surely, eventually, come a day when the reel I ordered (the fourth attempt after the first three with various vendors failed) that's sitting in a bonded warehouse near Sydney airport, can find a flight to NZ. It won't be any time soon but at least it made it out of a store and into the logistics labyrinth.
kingiFiddler

Got the reel. Haven't spooled it yet but first impression is it feels superb. Smaller diameter than I thought for a narrow reel. Perfectly fits my midget mitts and the low gear button is easy to engage with the heel of the palm of my hand without taking hand off the handle. Seems like I'll be able to direct line on the spool with a gloved finger or thumb while the left sideplate still sits snug in the palm of that hand. Freespool is impressive - a spun up spool just floats on and on and on and I can only just hear it spinning if I bring it up to my ear. For the moonshot, it's really quite lightweight too. Line is coming next week (if lucky) to test/set the drag while seeing how much line I can lose to a big critter before the sweet sorrow of being spooled.

A smidge more backlash than I would like. Don't like the decal on the pre-set knob. Can see that falling off over time. Hope I'm wrong on that.

This is only my second overhead reel though, so take my impressions with a grain of salt.
newPenn.jpg
newPenn.jpg (32.31 KiB) Viewed 18 times