So, who's getting the new plastic Stealth when they come out?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Smudger.aws
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution 16

7 container cranes ,3 container crane drivers....go figure!!
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Marc N wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:13 am Auckland ports, have been having issues, entirely unrelated to covid and much more in the flavour of, 'modernisation' gone wrong.
Yeah but it doesn't add up to nearly three months of delays for those who ordered their Stealth kayaks and have yet to receive them.
Something else has gone wrong.
It's not just a perfect storm of covid related or general shipping delays. I think customers and prospects deserve the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but.

I'm nearly at the point of having the money saved for a Stealth and I need to work out if the business behind the name gives a rat's arse about NZ which is a tiny part of their international growth prospects and even if they do, that they are resourced enough to deliver product to the ports on time in the face of demand that would risk them having to prioritise.
AliBaba
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish400

This from a friend who works in a major cargo company in Auckland. This was in Dec.

“Over 100% capacity for the last 2 months and predicted to be for the next 3 or 4 at least”
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

kingiFiddler wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:26 pm
Marc N wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:13 am Auckland ports, have been having issues, entirely unrelated to covid and much more in the flavour of, 'modernisation' gone wrong.
Yeah but it doesn't add up to nearly three months of delays for those who ordered their Stealth kayaks and have yet to receive them.
If it's coming on a ship - Yes it does.

I listened to a long interview on Radio NZ of a guy who said that the new fancy computerised systems that will run those container cranes automatically, so no drivers needed, has gone horribly wrong, people are injured and one died as the ports are trying to keep stuff moving with not enough drivers and no care for safety.

see:

half million dollar fine for death -

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/por ... LLOUHITU4/
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish
Rabbit
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 555

kingiFiddler wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:26 pm
Something else has gone wrong.
It's not just a perfect storm of covid related or general shipping delays. I think customers and prospects deserve the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but.

I'm nearly at the point of having the money saved for a Stealth and I need to work out if the business behind the name gives a rat's arse about NZ which is a tiny part of their international growth prospects and even if they do, that they are resourced enough to deliver product to the ports on time in the face of demand that would risk them having to prioritise.
I do not know the exact reasons why the planned shipment to NZ has been so badly delayed but strongly suspect its a combination of reasons that are totally out of the control of the local distributor

- COVID has hit South Africa hard - over 12,000 new cases 1,000 deaths per day at its peak which has meant a protracted full lock down situation enforced by the government i.e. factory production has been stopped in its tracks and rightly so...not a single kayak could be made over this period

- Combined with the factory shut down the upsurge in demand for the Stealth product range including the new plastic variant (Fusion) has been far greater than forecast meaning that the existing production capacity has been significantly exceeded. The entire distributor base (Hawai, USA, Europe, etc is screaming for product not just NZ) - Turning on more capacity or outsourcing simply cannot be done on the flick of a switch - it takes time and money getting production ramped up especially when its a top end product and product quality is so important - vetting potential outsource partners is crucial in this process and how can you do that when you are not allowed to travel If I was the owner of Stealth I wouldnt be risking my product reputation without doing a full blown due diligence process, the risk is enormous.. I'm sure they are working on a solution but it takes a while for the supply chain to catch up all compounded by this world wide epidemic. Its incredibly difficult to predict the demand for a new product until it hits the market. and by all accounts the demand for the Fusion (and the standard Stealth range) has far outstripped expectations......I'd read that as the market recognising that Stealth makes a really great product

- The Auckland Port shambles has not helped - This has been covered in other messages so I wont belabour it any further

I think it is totally unfair to slam the local NZ agent and pin it on him, it is not his fault at all and he has no control over all these event combining to create 'a perfect storm'. It is impacting him as well. For example the Port of Akl has now just applied a NZD 1,000 port congestion charge for each container coming in....go figure........which is only going to get factored in to future shipments....he is having to wear this cost on this shipment...so he is also a 'victim' in this whole affair. The poor bugger is pulling his hair out with frustration and the inability to 'wave a magic wand'
kingiFiddler

Ryan's every bit a passenger as every "poor bugger" that ordered and has been sucking up the delays ever since while xmas then Summer Holidays came and went while stock arrived in USA and Aus(?) but not NZ.

If he fronted with a LC (*edit* -maybe that was a contributing factor - he's not stand-alone and there was no strict LC terms and sailing dates so NZ was the first to get shunted back), his profit margins would have been eroded on various amendment fees let alone additional congestion charges or the bank holding security (term deposit, reduction of o/d facility, etc) for way longer than planned, given the BoL would have been presented way later than originally planned and he's still waiting for stock to recover his outlays.

On that note, got a vessel and voyage number Rob? I don't yet buy the suggestion covid is the only reason behind the delays exporting the can out of Durban (?). Significant contributing factor, absolutely, but the delays are too great to pin it on that. It has, in my opinion in the absence of full disclosure, exposed an underfunded manufacturer that has had to prioritise (much like everywhere else in the supply chains around the world for that matter), and in doing so Ryan and NZ customers have been further down the totem pole than most would like.

All of which points to the benefits of NZ-manufacture (at least for the fusions). WTF not when demand is there and the delays and disruptions ex SA are so great? Local manufacturers haven't the same delays in raw materials (but still disrupted supply chains) and nowhere near the same production delays.
xiso728

kingiFiddler wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:16 pm Ryan's every bit a passenger as every "poor bugger" that ordered and has been sucking up the delays ever since while xmas then Summer Holidays came and went while stock arrived in USA and Aus(?) but not NZ.

If he fronted with a LC (*edit* -maybe that was a contributing factor - he's not stand-alone and there was no strict LC terms and sailing dates so NZ was the first to get shunted back), his profit margins would have been eroded on various amendment fees let alone additional congestion charges or the bank holding security (term deposit, reduction of o/d facility, etc) for way longer than planned, given the BoL would have been presented way later than originally planned and he's still waiting for stock to recover his outlays.

On that note, got a vessel and voyage number Rob? I don't yet buy the suggestion covid is the only reason behind the delays exporting the can out of Durban (?). Significant contributing factor, absolutely, but the delays are too great to pin it on that. It has, in my opinion in the absence of full disclosure, exposed an underfunded manufacturer that has had to prioritise (much like everywhere else in the supply chains around the world for that matter), and in doing so Ryan and NZ customers have been further down the totem pole than most would like.

All of which points to the benefits of NZ-manufacture (at least for the fusions). WTF not when demand is there and the delays and disruptions ex SA are so great? Local manufacturers haven't the same delays in raw materials (but still disrupted supply chains) and nowhere near the same production delays.
Those plastic stealths have arrived I heard, quick, go get one;)
kingiFiddler

That's great news, thanks. I look forward to seeing how Kiwis get on with 'em. They look like a great plastic yak.

I'm still saving for a fibreglass one. Nearly there. Besides, with what feels like four or more months since the order cutoff, if they haven't managed to sell the whole can by now, something's amiss. Apart from the possibility of people backing out after all the delays, I'd expect the usual suspects to be crowing about how demand is so high you have to get in early and the usual "you snooze you lose" drivel. It'll be coming down the marketing pipework in 10...9...8 :-)
dedant
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Outback 2019
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

kingiFiddler wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:54 pm That's great news, thanks. I look forward to seeing how Kiwis get on with 'em. They look like a great plastic yak.

I'm still saving for a fibreglass one. Nearly there. Besides, with what feels like four or more months since the order cutoff, if they haven't managed to sell the whole can by now, something's amiss. Apart from the possibility of people backing out after all the delays, I'd expect the usual suspects to be crowing about how demand is so high you have to get in early and the usual "you snooze you lose" drivel. It'll be coming down the marketing pipework in 10...9...8 :-)
Pretty sure the whole shipment sold before they arrived. There is a plastic fusion kept as a demo model. Next shipment is March or May.
Fantastic products, great dealer too.
What model are you getting?

Glass is Class.. dedant
kingiFiddler

G'Day mate.

It'll most likely be a profisha 525, but I'd like to test paddle a 575 and also a fisha 555 just to make sure. The stability of the 555 is appealing, as is the speed/efficiency of the 575 (I have a few long trips in the back of my mind). I'd have to dig out a bit more of the bank that the shed is dug into, if I end up with the 575 just so it will fit around the back out of the sun.
Snap 4T
Kayak Model: Reload

Any update ?! :?:
kingiFiddler

Those who have 'em really like 'em.

Think I've decided it'll be a 555 when the funds allow. Happy to sacrifice a bit of glide for extra stability when shit gets real and am in choppy water and fighting a big fish. Will just have to get fitter so not having the glide of the 575 isn't such a worry.
Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

They're bloody nice kayaks.

I've never rode one, but I really like the live bait tank that comes with the kayak. Plastic is fantastic, because I don't think the fibre glass kayaks would be
very forgiving to the rock and oyster beds here in the Manukau.

Storage wise, it won't fit in my garage and I'm not game to keep it outside.

But I'll keep my options open for a Stealth or a Pinnacle the future.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

A Pinnacle even! That's not a brand you hear very often anymore. It seems the Stealths have taken over, I'm guessing because there's more of them coming into the country now - and maybe the guys with Pinnacles are holding on to them.

I wonder if Kerry still has the one he caught his marlin from...
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778