"No Worries Returns" - 10th day and counting

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

There are a few posts on here where I have highlighted how outstanding Marine Deals have been with their delivery speed. We are RD but that doesn't stop orders getting here sometimes even within 24 hrs!

I've needed to test the other side of their "Fast Delivery. No Worries Returns" mantra lately, with a cheap reel bought a few months ago that has a basket case anti-reverse and needs to go back. It has been relegated to catching livebait but I did have to use it to catch a kingi (which was a neat challenge with no anti-reverse).

Today is the 10th day since requesting a return authorisation via their website. The second day since direct messaging them on Facebook to ask what's up and being told they'd get back to me.

It's a crazy time of year so I wasn't expecting the same superb speed as when ordering, but it is nonetheless informative seeing how the service side of the equation plays out. Especially in light of Marine Deals clearly provisioning the manpower to keep taking and filling orders over the same period.

Perhaps we should run a comp with a prize. I'll give my favourite Kingi-slayer Shimano Eclipse rod to the first person who guesses correctly how long it will take for the "No Worries Returns" to be resolved. Today is the 10th day, so if you are listing a guess, it better be 10 or more ;-)

I'll kick this off with my guess: 15 days.

The winning guesser gets this rod, sans reel.
newKing3.jpg
newKing3.jpg (119.1 KiB) Viewed 253 times
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

I’ve passed your post onto “someone I know” so let’s see if that helps !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

kingiFiddler

Hainesy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:44 pm I’ve passed your post onto “someone I know” so let’s see if that helps !
Thanks for that. I've done something similar this morning - got in touch with the distributor - and learned MD are swamped and because it's a cheap reel might not even bother with a return process, just send out a new reel. But I've still yet to get any substantive response from MD directly and I'm now just more curious than ever to see how long this takes.

How long do you reckon? Not that I think you need a cheap Shimano Eclipse rod but it's been doing the business for me and might for the next person you take out that needs a capable rod you can risk getting lost or high-sticked, etc.
Hainesy

kingiFiddler wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:49 pm
Hainesy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:44 pm I’ve passed your post onto “someone I know” so let’s see if that helps !
Thanks for that. I've done something similar this morning - got in touch with the distributor - and learned MD are swamped and because it's a cheap reel might not even bother with a return process, just send out a new reel. But I've still yet to get any substantive response from MD directly and I'm now just more curious than ever to see how long this takes.

How long do you reckon? Not that I think you need a cheap Shimano Eclipse rod but it's been doing the business for me and might for the next person you take out that needs a capable rod you can risk getting lost or high-sticked, etc.
If today is 10, I reckon 11 days ! :rofl:

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

kingiFiddler

Hahahaha. Perhaps you know something the rest of us don't. I guess time will tell. I hope for others who might be thinking this game is rigged, you are wrong. But, as you are the only one who has tendered a guess so far, I hope you are right and the rod is as lucky for you as it has been for me.
Hainesy

I suspect a replacement reel was sent this morning ! ;)

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

kingiFiddler

Hainesy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:55 pm I suspect a replacement reel was sent this morning ! ;)
I suspect you might be the proud new owner of a used but never abused proven kingi slaying rod. But never say never. Some savvy poster should quickly be guessing 12 days, just in case it takes another day to get here...

Time will tell I guess.
matwould
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Ha, I was about to say 12 days before I even read the bottom of your post. Regardless, if it is 12 days, give it to a newbie :)
kingiFiddler

It would appear you stand a better chance of being correct than Hainesy, as there was no reel delivery today.
:-)
Snap 4T

This Friday I reckon
kingiFiddler

Snap 4T wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:15 pm This Friday I reckon
Nothing today, so you could be on a winner with that guess.
kingiFiddler

Congratulations Snap 4T, the reel arrived today.
PM me your details and I'll get the rod away to you. It has been a very lucky rod. Please post photos when (not if) you catch fish on it.

If I can fix the basket case reel, it will get a carbon drag washers upgrade and hopefully some serious testing on kingis, to see how much difference the washers make.

Cheers all, and thanks Marine Deals for coming through and sorting it.

I'd also like to point out that the reason I stick with Shimano exclusively for my fishing needs is in no short measure because of the simply outstanding service and support they have shown me. If anyone from there is reading this, whatever Nick is being paid, it's not enough. For many years he has always stepped up to help me. I appreciate that and am so pleased there are still a few businesses left in NZ that know what service is all about.
Snap 4T

:rofl: Yay... another gear to my collection,
I wouldn't know what to do with the fish if I ever caught kingi like yours :lol:
Really appreciate the offer mate but pass it on to next lucky winner.
else keep it, it may catch you another kingi. :y:
kingiFiddler

That's very good of you mate. Thinking it was yours I left it behind and took with me a new, same model rod this morning and had an absolute stinker of a session. Got sharked twice, lost my world famous in New Zealand on KFNZ pen lure so couldn't catch another livie because I didn't take another lure with me. So I paddled back in, put the yak on the racks, drove home, made up a few new lures, got back out there, caught three more livies and had all of 'em stripped during the strike. So, I gave up and paddled back in, somewhat dejected.

I'd like to blame the bad luck on not having that lucky kingi rod with me but much of it was of my own making.

If the wind holds off for the first few hours of tomorrow, I'll take that giveaway lucky rod out instead and see if it makes any difference.

A while back I kicked around the idea of a KFNZ gear library. I think that king-slayer lucky rod of mine should go into that. I'd get a kick out of seeing where it ends up and what it catches. I've got a few other ideas on that front but have to make a few calls. Watch this space...
kingiFiddler

Well, that escalated quickly.
Not even a big kingi but I've busted the anti-reverse on the replacement reel this morning.

Won't be seeking to return on this one (I have to shoulder some of the blame for not thinking of the fact the reel has only one spot to catch the anti-reverse and could rotate around almost a full rotation before slamming hard against the anti-reverse), but I also blame Snap 4T for letting me take my favourite lucky rod out this morning, and maybe I shouldn't be trying to land kingis on the poor little cheap reel (but it is fun, and my bigger reel is in for a service).

I tell ya fellas and fellesses, this is a special rod. A magic, good luck wand that abracadabras fish out of the water. You sure you don't want to try it Snap 4T? It could be the first bit of gear into the KFNZ gear library for members to borrow free of charge.
kingiSmall2.jpg