So, who's getting the new plastic Stealth when they come out?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
kingiFiddler
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 pm
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
Location: Mangawhai

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:06 am

The graphene increases the yield strength of HDPE by about 60% so I wonder what it does to the foamed LDPE inner skin and if they could reduce the amount of this inner skin and still provide more support to the outer skin. I guess they have buoyancy to worry about too though - so maybe a reduction in the thickness of the foamed inner skin would drop the buoyancy too much. But given the way the graphene is improving HDPE, perhaps they could use less in the outer skin, dropping kayak weight thus dropping the required buoyancy meaning they could also use less of the foamed inner skin too. Essentially a lighter plastic Stealth with the same or greater yield strength and increased abrasion resistance.

Just wondering if they or even Viking have ever tried it?
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabbit
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:41 pm
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 555
Location: Auckland

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:58 am

kingiFiddler wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:06 am
The graphene increases the yield strength of HDPE by about 60% so I wonder what it does to the foamed LDPE inner skin and if they could reduce the amount of this inner skin and still provide more support to the outer skin. I guess they have buoyancy to worry about too though - so maybe a reduction in the thickness of the foamed inner skin would drop the buoyancy too much. But given the way the graphene is improving HDPE, perhaps they could use less in the outer skin, dropping kayak weight thus dropping the required buoyancy meaning they could also use less of the foamed inner skin too. Essentially a lighter plastic Stealth with the same or greater yeild strength and increased abrasion resistance.

Just wondering if they or even Viking have ever tried it?
Check this out - might answer some of your technical questions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri-fM47TLao

kingiFiddler
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 pm
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
Location: Mangawhai

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:41 pm

Tks, yes seen that one before.
Doing some more digging, there are examples around the world of people using graphene in the epoxy in their glass or carbon fibre kayaks. There's one with a 5.75m carbon fibre kayak that weighs under 10kgs. But i still can't find any examples of its use in HDPE/LDPE yaks.

tuaman2
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:44 pm
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish Reload/Tempo 2

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:37 pm

Had a quote of 5.2k for the carbon 475 model.....

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk


DocProfit
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:27 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
Location: Auckland

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:15 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:00 pm
Pretty sure I've both read they have a transducer scupper and seen images of it. Somewhere I think I saw two images - one was of the original prototype that had a tiny scupper and another image where they made it bigger to handle bigger transducers. Can't put my mouse on the images now though. Hopefully someone who knows will fill us in.
You are right, there is a transducer scupper on the bottom.

And you can swap to a rear mounted rudder if you want.


Good stuff.

kingiFiddler
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 pm
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
Location: Mangawhai

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:39 pm

I'm increasingly interested to learn how sounders/FF will perform on the fusion 480. Will sidevu/side scanning transducers have interference from the sides of the plastic recess/scupper that reduces the width of the side scanning?

kingiFiddler
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 pm
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
Location: Mangawhai

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:51 pm

Just wanted to update this thread with a video I found that addresses my concerns about the hatches flipping right over and knocking the FF around. This guy has quite a few mods and restricting the hatch travel is but one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaCWmGFbweY

Rabbit
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:41 pm
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 555
Location: Auckland

Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:13 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:51 pm
Just wanted to update this thread with a video I found that addresses my concerns about the hatches flipping right over and knocking the FF around. This guy has quite a few mods and restricting the hatch travel is but one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaCWmGFbweY
That is a very cool yak!!!!

6 to 8 ft waves on launch/re-entry!!!!!!! Good God....you have to have a big pair to face that. You couldn't handle those waves on any kayak with the rods stored pointing at the sky....unless you want to be replacing your rods and reels all the time...and thats why that huge forward hatch is just one of the great features of a Stealth .

I came in through some heavy surf two weeks ago. Before coming in I stored everything in my hatch.....rods, reels, the fish finder head unit, hat, sunnies, phone, VHF, etc, etc....and lashed it down hard with the standard straps....i did end up getting turtled....there was not a drop of water in the hatch once I caught up with the yak on the beach and everything was in perfect condition.

kingiFiddler
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 pm
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
Location: Mangawhai

Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Rabbit wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:13 pm
kingiFiddler wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:51 pm
Just wanted to update this thread with a video I found that addresses my concerns about the hatches flipping right over and knocking the FF around. This guy has quite a few mods and restricting the hatch travel is but one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaCWmGFbweY
That is a very cool yak!!!!

6 to 8 ft waves on launch/re-entry!!!!!!! Good God....you have to have a big pair to face that. You couldn't handle those waves on any kayak with the rods stored pointing at the sky....unless you want to be replacing your rods and reels all the time...and thats why that huge forward hatch is just one of the great features of a Stealth .

I came in through some heavy surf two weeks ago. Before coming in I stored everything in my hatch.....rods, reels, the fish finder head unit, hat, sunnies, phone, VHF, etc, etc....and lashed it down hard with the standard straps....i did end up getting turtled....there was not a drop of water in the hatch once I caught up with the yak on the beach and everything was in perfect condition.
There seems a fair bit of overlap between the fisha and profisha ranges and it might be worth paddling both to see if the slightly slower but more stable fisha is the go, given it's a wee bit cheaper.

A few days ago, just as that low off the NE coast was forming, i noticed the swell on the rise. it was one of those days when it caught many by surprise and the bar here was breaking even at high tide. It would have been perfect for a play in a yak, with nobody else out. But yeah nah, trying to land the yak in 8' surf wouldn't be high on the to-do list, even if that's 8 real feet and not 8 surfing feet. That said, i can see plenty of times, especially when less crowded in Winter, I would love to take a Stealth out for a play in the surf, especially something like the profisha 475 that has a bit more rocker than the others in that category.

The understern rudders might also stand a fighting chance of being in the water and useful in waves rather than out of the water at the stern like many yaks I see. I wonder if that means the steering on the Stealths is a bit less responsive at slower speeds, and also how many rudders get damaged if can't flip them out of the way. Also, I see uite a few people mounting their transducers only a little bit forward of the rudder and i wonder if any turbulence has an impact on the rudder performance.

And yeah, that central hatch is a Winner.

TBreezy
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:22 pm

That setup is so sick. What a machine.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest